Is it bad if my transfer PS is less than 2 pages? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
iheartlaw

Bronze

Is it bad if my transfer PS is less than 2 pages?

Post by iheartlaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 am

I was wondering if it makes someone look lazy or as if they don't care if they submit a shorter personal statement. I noticed Boalt's PS could be 4 pages double spaced! My personal statement was only 1 and 3/4 , just shy of 2 pages double spaced. Although I don't expect to get in to Boalt, if I am putting myself at a disadvantage, then I should do something to add to my PS.

It's funny because before I went to law school, I would have struggled to get it under 4 pages, but now it's hard for me to even write 2! Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, haha.

Also, what do you think is suggested when the law school does not have ANY requirement? For example, to my understanding GULC had no specifications with regards to PS size/limits.

Thanks.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Re: Is it bad if my transfer PS is less than 2 pages?

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 am

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:17 am

I did a little more for Boalt because they seemed to suggest writing more. FWIW, my GULC PS was barely over 1 page and I got in

EggShellPlaintiff

New

Post by EggShellPlaintiff » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:52 am

I seriously doubt it matters. In my opinion, transfer admissions is just as numbers focused as regular admissions. The first time around schools are worried about medians. With transfers, schools are worried about their incoming students getting jobs; thus, schools are almost exclusively looking at how employable you are (re: the quality of the school you're transferring from and your grades at that school).

I also bet schools place less weight on transfer personal statements than personal statements in the regular admissions cycle. Most of us have the same obvious, boring reason for transferring: better school = better jobs, better professors, better clerkships, better network, better life, whatever. Aside from those people who have legitimate, compelling reasons for leaving, we're all writing the same thing.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:26 pm

I doubt it matters. If you wrote what you needed to say in less than two pages there is no need add fluff. No one likes reading fluff.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:48 am

quality over quantity. /thread.

(seriously, one page of clarity and honesty is worth more than 4 of you bullshitting)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”