Temple -> Penn? Gonna stay in PA/DE/NJ for good though...

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is the 2.5x debt worth the transfer if planning to stay in Philly area?

Go Penn with $100k more debt
52%
Stay Temple with $40k more debt
48%

Total votes: 25

phillaw

Temple -> Penn? Gonna stay in PA/DE/NJ for good though...

Postby phillaw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:37 am

Assuming arguendo that a transfer is possible, do I give up my great progress and little debt at Temple for an ivy league degree, better prospects for big law, and more than twice the debt? Corporate big law in PA/DE/NJ is the goal, and I'm not afraid to to take out a big mortgage on my law degree to get there. Penn's upper-level courses/clinicals (plus Wharton access) clearly trump Temple's, which are solid but mostly in the evenings and no business journal to try to write-on. But if a top rank and the standard corporate law curriculum at Temple could get me there, is it worth the transfer? I have friends in other grad programs at Penn, so it would be nice to share an alma mater with them one day, but that's not a big deal.

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Temple -> Penn? Gonna stay in PA/DE/NJ for good though...

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:23 am

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:08 pm

If I were in your position, I'd stay at Temple.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I think this depends on how Temple students in your position did at OCI last year. If top students were striking out, it might be worth it to transfer to Penn. If students were getting 2L SAs at big firms, staying might be advisable.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 pm

If you're doing well enough to transfer to Penn you're doing well enough to get biglaw at temple. How badly do you want your resume to say "Penn Law"?

RonSantoRules

Postby RonSantoRules » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 pm

If you want to stay in the PA/DE/NJ area, no. For the Philly area law schools, I would only transfer to Penn from the top of the class at Nova/Widener/Drexel/Rutgers.

jp0094

Postby jp0094 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm in a similar position as the OP, but I'll be stuck paying sticker @ Temple barring some scholarship opportunity that magically appears. So I'm thinking transfer might be worth it... but idk

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 pm

jp0094 wrote:I'm in a similar position as the OP, but I'll be stuck paying sticker @ Temple barring some scholarship opportunity that magically appears. So I'm thinking transfer might be worth it... but idk

Depends on the difference in cost (in-state?) and your goals

Return to “Transfers”