George Washington Transfer Question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
doublehoya0509

New

George Washington Transfer Question

Post by doublehoya0509 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:37 pm

TLSers -
I am in the top 5% of my class at GW which somehow jumped up to #20 in the USNWR rankings this year (deservedly so, GW Law is awesome). Georgetown was my dream law school. I went to Georgetown Prep and then Georgetown (hence double hoya) and really wanted to be a Georgetown Law triple hoya. I got a 172 on my LSATs but only had a 3.0 GPA (double majored in chemistry and math). I really want to practice in DC.
I applied to transfer to GULC, Harvard, NYU, Columbia, UVa, and Yale. It's possible I don't get into any of those, but as far as I'm concerned no other East Coast schools offer a much better shot at DC BigLaw relative to top 5% at GW.

My question is, then, if I get into any of these, would it be worth relinquishing my great 1L grades to pick up and go elsewhere? Harvard and Yale are no brainers, but I probably won't get in. Would it be advisable to go to any of the others?

Thanks in advance.

doublehoya0509

New

Re: George Washington Transfer Question

Post by doublehoya0509 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:24 pm

any insight?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I think you would be pretty crazy to xfer UNLESS you want academia.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Given that you want to work in DC, I don't think any school south of Harvard or Yale would be worth transferring to.

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 pm

If your not on scholarship now, you will probably get one if you stayed. I don't know if it would be worth transferring to GT, but if you get into harvard or the other school (ha ha) you should go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doublehoya0509

New

Post by doublehoya0509 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:58 pm

thanks. I am on a small scholarship but i'm going to see if i can parlay some t14 acceptances into a larger one. I live in DC anyway now (with my parents..) so cost of living is negligible.

thanks for the insight. i'm hoping that i get into a T6 so I can hit up the financial aid office for some money.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:39 pm

I guess you're in a different GW section than myself, since they haven't released our grades yet. :cry:

In any case, how can you tell that you're in the top 5%? GW only ranks us top 1-15% (George Washington Scholar) or 15-35% (Thurgood Marshal Scholar)? Do you mind providing your GPA so that I know where I stand myself, lol?
Last edited by Machine Spirit on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:47 pm

dude top 5% at GW why would you transfer. I would apply to HYS and that's it. I have no idea why would would consider transferring anywhere else and giving up LR and that ranking, that seems ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”