#1 in class question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfer4545
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 am

#1 in class question

Postby transfer4545 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:34 am

I currently go to MSU/Wayne St on a full tuition scholarship and have earned a 4.0/4.0 both semesters. I have my heart set on big law even though working at a top firm in Detroit wouldn't break my heart either (have lived in Metro Detroit my whole life). So far I have gotten into G'town early decision and have been rejected outright at Chicago. UofM is my target school and I would love to go. However, I am wondering if the job prospects of going to UofM would be so much better to justify giving up the #1 ranking at the second best school in the state, being on Law Review, and paying 120k.

Additionally, I am applying to Harvard and if I get in the prior issue would be moot. I was wondering if you guys think I have a decent chance coming from a TTT with a 161 LSAT (4.0 UGPA and a Masters). I know that they say on their website that they look at transfers who would be competitve coming from UG and am wondering if the 161 will severely limit my chances.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses!

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: #1 in class question

Postby MSUPHL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 am

transfer4545 wrote:I currently go to MSU/Wayne St on a full tuition scholarship and have earned a 4.0/4.0 both semesters. I have my heart set on big law even though working at a top firm in Detroit wouldn't break my heart either (have lived in Metro Detroit my whole life). So far I have gotten into G'town early decision and have been rejected outright at Chicago. UofM is my target school and I would love to go. However, I am wondering if the job prospects of going to UofM would be so much better to justify giving up the #1 ranking at the second best school in the state, being on Law Review, and paying 120k.

Additionally, I am applying to Harvard and if I get in the prior issue would be moot. I was wondering if you guys think I have a decent chance coming from a TTT with a 161 LSAT (4.0 UGPA and a Masters). I know that they say on their website that they look at transfers who would be competitve coming from UG and am wondering if the 161 will severely limit my chances.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses!


you go to "MSU/Wayne St"??? Does not compute.

transfer4545
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 am

Re: #1 in class question

Postby transfer4545 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:45 am

Trying to keep it anonymous by listing peer schools that each claim to be the #2 school in Michigan. I go to one of those 2 schools.

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: #1 in class question

Postby MSUPHL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:55 am

transfer4545 wrote:Trying to keep it anonymous by listing peer schools that each claim to be the #2 school in Michigan. I go to one of those 2 schools.


Oh ok. Well shit son, I am not the person to answer your question. I just finished MSU UG and am going to ASU this year; I just wanted to get the hell outta here.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: #1 in class question

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 am

So you have narrowed it down to one of two students if you are ranked number 1 at one of those two law schools.
First step should be to speak to career services & professors at your current law school to outline reasonable summer placement oppotunities in your field of interest. For example, do any of your professors have a close relationship with a law firm or judge with which/whom you would like to clerk?
Second consideration might focus on the law schools to which you are admitted as a transfer in light of your career objectives. Unfortunately I cannot offer any solid advice regarding transfer decisions until the first step is addressed.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

transfer4545
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 am

Re: #1 in class question

Postby transfer4545 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:59 am

Haha! There may be ties so I might have narrowed it to a pool of 5 or something!

User avatar
Go State
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 am

Re: #1 in class question

Postby Go State » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:36 pm

transfer4545 wrote:I currently go to MSU/Wayne St on a full tuition scholarship and have earned a 4.0/4.0 both semesters. I have my heart set on big law even though working at a top firm in Detroit wouldn't break my heart either (have lived in Metro Detroit my whole life). So far I have gotten into G'town early decision and have been rejected outright at Chicago. UofM is my target school and I would love to go. However, I am wondering if the job prospects of going to UofM would be so much better to justify giving up the #1 ranking at the second best school in the state, being on Law Review, and paying 120k.

Additionally, I am applying to Harvard and if I get in the prior issue would be moot. I was wondering if you guys think I have a decent chance coming from a TTT with a 161 LSAT (4.0 UGPA and a Masters). I know that they say on their website that they look at transfers who would be competitve coming from UG and am wondering if the 161 will severely limit my chances.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the responses!


If you go to MSU, then I take it you already know that one of the people that had a 4.0/4.0 got into Harvard last year, right? If not, now you know.

UM is a lock (i.e. you will get in, particularly with your ties to the state). However, if are dead set on working at a firm in Michigan, then you'll get that at MSU/WSU with a 4.0/4.0 + LR. I mean, seriously, who else are they going to hire if they don't hire you? It's not like many UM grads want to stay in Michigan when they graduate, or grads from other t14 schools are trying to get into Michigan. However, there really is a LOT at UM, and the extra $130K isn't the end of the world with a $100k /year salary at graduation (I would be really surprised if you didn't get Michigan biglaw with your grades at MSU/WSU). One thing you get here is alumni base, which will help you a lot of you want to move out of Michigan at some point. Another thing you get is access to potentially getting a federal clerkship (I think MSU had 0% of its class get a federal clerkship the other year). In all honesty, I would be surprised if you came to UM and weren't at least in the top 10% at the end of your 2nd year of law school (I have basically the same GPA here as I did at MSU after my first year, and from what the Dean said, there's only been one person who transferred into UM in the past 5 years that didn't graduate with honors (maybe longer, I don't really remember)). However, if you are sure you want to stay in Michigan, are not interested in clerking, and really want to avoid debt, then staying at MSU/WSU makes sense.

Good luck with your Harvard app!

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: #1 in class question

Postby ggocat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Just curious: why would it cost you $120K at UM for two years?

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: #1 in class question

Postby MrKappus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:34 pm

ggocat wrote:Just curious: why would it cost you $120K at UM for two years?


--LinkRemoved--

Side of page...and that's before any increase. ~$60k x 2 = $120k. Hth.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: #1 in class question

Postby ggocat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 pm

MrKappus wrote:
ggocat wrote:Just curious: why would it cost you $120K at UM for two years?

--LinkRemoved--

Side of page...and that's before any increase. ~$60k x 2 = $120k. Hth.

I meant cost difference. Presumably he/she is already paying living expenses. Thus, the cost difference between seems to be $85K-$95K. That's the "cost" of Michigan compared to staying put (unless OP has some other reason--such as living at home or 1L school revoking scholarship--hence, my question).




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.