Chances and Benefits of Transferring to Columbia/NYU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcastig4

New

Chances and Benefits of Transferring to Columbia/NYU

Post by mcastig4 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi everybody, sorry if this has been asked already but I figured I would make my own thread.

I'm not too worried about anonymity so: I currently attend Brooklyn Law School and just received my grades. Fall Semester I had a 3.902, and Spring I got 3.897 for a cumulative GPA of 3.901. Our ranks haven't been released yet, but looking at transferapps, this should put me within the top 10 out of 450 or so if these things are consistent from year to year.

So first, what are the odds of me getting accepted into Columbia or NYU as a transfer? From transferapps it seems like I have a pretty good shot but I just want to know what you guys think.

More importantly, however, what do you think the benefits would be of transferring? As it stands now, I am at the top of my class in Brooklyn, will grade onto law review, and will graduate with no debt. If I am looking for a big law position, is there a substantial benefit to transferring to Columbia/NYU. Of course I want the prestige of a T6 degree, but I am just trying to look at this from a practical viewpoint. Also, chances are I will not be on law review at either school (I couldn't do the Columbia write on comp so that's out, and I'm sure writing onto the NYU one is quite difficult). I would hate to decide to stay at Brooklyn and strike out at OCI and wonder what could have been, but at the same time I would hate to strike out at the other schools and be paying full price. So basically, what do you think the benefits are of transferring to Columbia or NYU? Worth it?

Thanks

anonymoustransfer

New

Re: Chances and Benefits of Transferring to Columbia/NYU

Post by anonymoustransfer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 pm

no help on the question, but I'm a BLSer as well. They did seem to post a ranking if you look under Fall GPA, but I can't tell if it really is just for fall or not. Thought you might want to give it a look.

mcastig4

New

Post by mcastig4 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:54 am

anonymoustransfer wrote:no help on the question, but I'm a BLSer as well. They did seem to post a ranking if you look under Fall GPA, but I can't tell if it really is just for fall or not. Thought you might want to give it a look.
Thanks for pointing this out. Not sure if it is just for the fall either, but I am 8/406.

anonymoustransfer

New

Post by anonymoustransfer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 am

No problem. Personally I'm going to hope it is fall only, because historically my total gpa has been around 10%, but it says I'm 20%, which is a fairly large change for a curve I think. and also screws with my transfer plans.

ahp578

New

Post by ahp578 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:17 am

hey mcastig4, just saw your post and was hoping I could get some advice from you. I'm actually starting at BLS this Fall 2010. I also was given a full ride there and am thinking of transferring to a top law school as well (given my grades at the end of the year). It seems you have done quite well yourself and I was hoping you could give me some insight/tips to stay at the top of my class (especially for the first year). Any particular professors I should take or avoid? study tips? From your experience, how was the overall competition at BLS? Any advice would be great! My background is Biomedical Engineering from Boston University with a 164 LSAT, so I really don't know what to expect in Law School!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahp578

New

Post by ahp578 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:31 am

or anonymoustransfer if you have any input too that would be awesome!

handlebutton

New

Post by handlebutton » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 pm

What's BLS?

ahp578

New

Post by ahp578 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 pm

brooklyn law school

handlebutton

New

Post by handlebutton » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Brooklyn -> Columbia/NYU seems easier than even GWU->Columbia/NYU

Its a little insane how much weight is given to 'regional' schools for even top schools like CN

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:27 pm

handlebutton wrote:Brooklyn -> Columbia/NYU seems easier than even GWU->Columbia/NYU

Its a little insane how much weight is given to 'regional' schools for even top schools like CN
What the hell are you talking about?

OP: I don't know if your situation substantially changes if you apply to NYU/Columbia. You're in the target market, you will certainly grade onto law review, and you SHOULD have a great shot at a good firm out of OCI (although I don't know how Brooklyn is weathering the recession in terms of job prospects for top students). Transferring to Columbia (if you're better than top 5% at Brooklyn I think this is what you should be aiming for) would probably be beneficial, especially in regards more prestigious firms, but I am not certain to what extent.

In any event, you're in a good situation. Good luck!

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:40 pm

NY_TTT -> Columbia/NYU is a much easier of a transfer than a comparable TTT in another state

mcastig4

New

Post by mcastig4 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:09 pm

ahp578 wrote:hey mcastig4, just saw your post and was hoping I could get some advice from you. I'm actually starting at BLS this Fall 2010. I also was given a full ride there and am thinking of transferring to a top law school as well (given my grades at the end of the year). It seems you have done quite well yourself and I was hoping you could give me some insight/tips to stay at the top of my class (especially for the first year). Any particular professors I should take or avoid? study tips? From your experience, how was the overall competition at BLS? Any advice would be great! My background is Biomedical Engineering from Boston University with a 164 LSAT, so I really don't know what to expect in Law School!
Check your PM.

Thanks for the responses, anybody have any further input on the specific benefits of transferring to Columbia/NYU?

ajviolin97

New

Post by ajviolin97 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi guys,

I know this thread is from many years back, but i'm also considering going to BLS and transferring to Columbia/NYU. How did your experiences go at BLS? was it hard to be at the top of the class/how did you guys manage to be successful? Any tips from those who transferred and how to prepare? And was it worth it to transfer and pay full price? Thanks so much in advance!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 pm

ajviolin97 wrote:Hi guys,

I know this thread is from many years back, but i'm also considering going to BLS and transferring to Columbia/NYU. How did your experiences go at BLS? was it hard to be at the top of the class/how did you guys manage to be successful? Any tips from those who transferred and how to prepare? And was it worth it to transfer and pay full price? Thanks so much in advance!
you should not do this.

ajviolin97

New

Post by ajviolin97 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Well, I'm going to brooklyn next fall cause i got a full ride so I'm just seeing what I can do to do well there. Any tips like the other commenter asked fo a couple before mine would greatly be appreciated! DM is fine too :)

ajviolin97

New

Post by ajviolin97 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:46 pm

I'm not applying to law school this upcoming cycle like you I have already committed. I just want to know if there are any good tips or advice out there that could help me out to be successful in my 1L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”