Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TuNeCedeMalis
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby TuNeCedeMalis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 pm

run26.2 wrote:In at Penn via email this afternoon.
#s?

t4tot1
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby t4tot1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Thirteen wrote:
t4tot1 wrote:coming from a t4

in at SMU and ASU

What would you do? I need help!!


Where do you want to work? Also, would you be paying in-state at ASU? I would choose SMU, but I'm biased (want to work in Dallas).


I am from california. In-laws live in fort worth. I would like to go to the school with the best reach- there is a possibility that i will be working in multiple states during my career (but not necessarily in az or tx).

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 pm

At either of those schools, your first job will be in that region unless you know someone ready to give you a job elsewhere already.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:At either of those schools, your first job will be in that region unless you know someone ready to give you a job elsewhere already.

This. Also....

t4tot1 wrote:I am from california. In-laws live in fort worth. I would like to go to the school with the best reach- there is a possibility that i will be working in multiple states during my career (but not necessarily in az or tx).


Where is your TTTT? It may be that staying, plus LR and a high class ranking will be just as portable (and perhaps much less expensive) than transferring. This is especially true if you don't see yourself working in AZ or DFW.

t4tot1
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby t4tot1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:16 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:At either of those schools, your first job will be in that region unless you know someone ready to give you a job elsewhere already.

This. Also....

t4tot1 wrote:I am from california. In-laws live in fort worth. I would like to go to the school with the best reach- there is a possibility that i will be working in multiple states during my career (but not necessarily in az or tx).


Where is your TTTT? It may be that staying, plus LR and a high class ranking will be just as portable (and perhaps much less expensive) than transferring. This is especially true if you don't see yourself working in AZ or DFW.



Great point.. the only problem is that i am hoping to get into teaching later on so it would be beneficial for me to graduate from a higher ranked school (at least that is what my professor at my current school told me).
My fiance wants to live in DFW, but because of his job we have no control over where he could be working in the future. I am ok with working in DFW for a few years if that is where I decide to go. I dont have any ties to AZ. I am from CA and my current school is in CA, but i am almost certain I will not be working in CA. I like ASU because of the proximity to Los Angeles (where my family is) and the fact that it is rated 38 (SMU is 48), but last year they were 55, so i am not sure how much weight I should be giving to that ranking.
Basically, I have no idea where I will be working in the long run, but it would be more likely that I end up in TX than AZ since my fiance is from there. I don't know which school has a better reputation/reach nationwide. If anyone has an idea please let me know. Whoever has a better rep/reach is where i will go, since I will most likely move around early in my career.
Thank you all for your input!! I really appreciate it!

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 pm

The simple answer to your query into which school has more national reach is that neither school does. They are both regional schools, albeit very good regional schools. I don't think I can overemphasize this enough.

You will be hard-pressed working your way into legal academia (if that's what you meant by 'teaching') from either school. I would say you would need to be published and first, maybe second, in your class at either of those schools to make it. When your professor told you you need to attend a 'higher ranked' school, they were likely talking about a T6, maybe T3. I have no idea for other types of teaching.

I would say that you should stay where you're at and keep it cheap. Your strongest job prospects come from attending a law school in the region where you're from and where you hope to practice. For you, this is California (at the moment, since you don't know for sure you're going to DFW).

If you know for sure you're going to at least begin your career in DFW, then transfer to SMU, as your alma mater matters the most (some say it only matters) when getting your first job. Don't go to ASU just because it's higher ranked and your professor advised you go to a higher ranked school to help get into academia. That's likely not what he/she was talking about.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Does anybody know if WUSTL, Minnesota, or Emory has rejected anybody yet? It's to the point that I'd just like to receive my ding and move on, thank you. :wink:

phishskier41
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby phishskier41 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Just for future reference accepted at William and Mary via phone today. Low T2 Top 18%.

t4tot1
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby t4tot1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:43 pm

patrickd139 wrote:The simple answer to your query into which school has more national reach is that neither school does. They are both regional schools, albeit very good regional schools. I don't think I can overemphasize this enough.

You will be hard-pressed working your way into legal academia (if that's what you meant by 'teaching') from either school. I would say you would need to be published and first, maybe second, in your class at either of those schools to make it. When your professor told you you need to attend a 'higher ranked' school, they were likely talking about a T6, maybe T3. I have no idea for other types of teaching.

I would say that you should stay where you're at and keep it cheap. Your strongest job prospects come from attending a law school in the region where you're from and where you hope to practice. For you, this is California (at the moment, since you don't know for sure you're going to DFW).

If you know for sure you're going to at least begin your career in DFW, then transfer to SMU, as your alma mater matters the most (some say it only matters) when getting your first job. Don't go to ASU just because it's higher ranked and your professor advised you go to a higher ranked school to help get into academia. That's likely not what he/she was talking about.


thank you for your input.. but staying at my current school is not really an option for me.
my professor (she is a writing professor) said that becoming a writing or adjunct professor with a specialty is much different than a contracts or torts professor (for example). there is also the possibility of working in law programs at undergraduate institutions. I am just trying to keep my options open :)
I think i am leaning toward smu because i do have contacts there and would not mind working there for my first job. thank you so much for helping me figure it all out!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 pm

phishskier41 wrote:Just for future reference accepted at William and Mary via phone today. Low T2 Top 18%.


Congrats! Fought my wife tooth and nail about applying there and she prevailed....no app. :)

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 pm

t4tot1 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:At either of those schools, your first job will be in that region unless you know someone ready to give you a job elsewhere already.

This. Also....

t4tot1 wrote:I am from california. In-laws live in fort worth. I would like to go to the school with the best reach- there is a possibility that i will be working in multiple states during my career (but not necessarily in az or tx).


Where is your TTTT? It may be that staying, plus LR and a high class ranking will be just as portable (and perhaps much less expensive) than transferring. This is especially true if you don't see yourself working in AZ or DFW.



Great point.. the only problem is that i am hoping to get into teaching later on so it would be beneficial for me to graduate from a higher ranked school (at least that is what my professor at my current school told me).
My fiance wants to live in DFW, but because of his job we have no control over where he could be working in the future. I am ok with working in DFW for a few years if that is where I decide to go. I dont have any ties to AZ. I am from CA and my current school is in CA, but i am almost certain I will not be working in CA. I like ASU because of the proximity to Los Angeles (where my family is) and the fact that it is rated 38 (SMU is 48), but last year they were 55, so i am not sure how much weight I should be giving to that ranking.
Basically, I have no idea where I will be working in the long run, but it would be more likely that I end up in TX than AZ since my fiance is from there. I don't know which school has a better reputation/reach nationwide. If anyone has an idea please let me know. Whoever has a better rep/reach is where i will go, since I will most likely move around early in my career.
Thank you all for your input!! I really appreciate it!


Please explain why you didn't apply to transfer to a school in Los Angeles

phishskier41
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby phishskier41 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:25 pm

A'nold wrote:
phishskier41 wrote:Just for future reference accepted at William and Mary via phone today. Low T2 Top 18%.


Congrats! Fought my wife tooth and nail about applying there and she prevailed....no app. :)


I was extremely surprised I was accepted there, I had heard that without be a VA resident it would be tough. However, there is hope for people just inside the top 20% looking to make a move... I have no real softs at all, the only thing I can think of is 1 yr of work experience.

Even though the tuition is cheaper, I am too excited about Emory and the opportunity to move back south! so I will be withdrawing so hopefully someone else will get my spot.

selfloathingtransfer
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby selfloathingtransfer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 am

A'nold wrote:
phishskier41 wrote:Just for future reference accepted at William and Mary via phone today. Low T2 Top 18%.


Congrats! Fought my wife tooth and nail about applying there and she prevailed....no app. :)


Don't regret it, though. If both of you wouldn't be happy living somewhere for the next two years, at least, it's not worth it.

afterglow99
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:24 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby afterglow99 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 am

Cycle complete -

Low T2, 3.8 gpa on a 3.0 curve, no law review

Accepted - GULC, Penn, Columbia
Withdrew app - NYU
Attending - Columbia

Never in my wildest dreams did i think I'd be turning down two T14s. Good luck to all still waiting!

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 am

afterglow99 wrote:Cycle complete -

Low T2, 3.8 gpa on a 3.0 curve, no law review

Accepted - GULC, Penn, Columbia
Withdrew app - NYU
Attending - Columbia

Never in my wildest dreams did i think I'd be turning down two T14s. Good luck to all still waiting!

:shock:
WOW! Congrats!!

t4tot1
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby t4tot1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Danteshek wrote:
t4tot1 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:At either of those schools, your first job will be in that region unless you know someone ready to give you a job elsewhere already.

This. Also....

t4tot1 wrote:I am from california. In-laws live in fort worth. I would like to go to the school with the best reach- there is a possibility that i will be working in multiple states during my career (but not necessarily in az or tx).


Where is your TTTT? It may be that staying, plus LR and a high class ranking will be just as portable (and perhaps much less expensive) than transferring. This is especially true if you don't see yourself working in AZ or DFW.



Great point.. the only problem is that i am hoping to get into teaching later on so it would be beneficial for me to graduate from a higher ranked school (at least that is what my professor at my current school told me).
My fiance wants to live in DFW, but because of his job we have no control over where he could be working in the future. I am ok with working in DFW for a few years if that is where I decide to go. I dont have any ties to AZ. I am from CA and my current school is in CA, but i am almost certain I will not be working in CA. I like ASU because of the proximity to Los Angeles (where my family is) and the fact that it is rated 38 (SMU is 48), but last year they were 55, so i am not sure how much weight I should be giving to that ranking.
Basically, I have no idea where I will be working in the long run, but it would be more likely that I end up in TX than AZ since my fiance is from there. I don't know which school has a better reputation/reach nationwide. If anyone has an idea please let me know. Whoever has a better rep/reach is where i will go, since I will most likely move around early in my career.
Thank you all for your input!! I really appreciate it!


Please explain why you didn't apply to transfer to a school in Los Angeles


Because of my fiance's profession, the odds that we will be living in CA are extremely low. I would love to live in CA forever (and I did apply to several CA schools as a backup (loyola, pepperdine, etc)), but its just not realistic for my fiance.

mardimar
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby mardimar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 pm

.
Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby thexfactor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:31 pm

wow feast or famine.
T50 10-12% LR likely to be shut out at all T18 schools. 1 more left.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:35 pm

thexfactor wrote:wow feast or famine.
T50 10-12% LR likely to be shut out at all T18 schools. 1 more left.


Which?

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby thexfactor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:40 pm

rather not say until i get rejected. Il let everyone know after i get shut out...

how could this happen? is there really that big of a diff between 5%-10%?

megaTTTron wrote:
thexfactor wrote:wow feast or famine.
T50 10-12% LR likely to be shut out at all T18 schools. 1 more left.


Which?

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby stinger35 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 pm

thexfactor wrote:rather not say until i get rejected. Il let everyone know after i get shut out...

how could this happen? is there really that big of a diff between 5%-10%?

megaTTTron wrote:
thexfactor wrote:wow feast or famine.
T50 10-12% LR likely to be shut out at all T18 schools. 1 more left.


Which?


I really just can't believe this. Absolutely blows my mind. Hopin that the last school is the one though.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby apper123 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:54 pm

mardimar wrote:for those keeping score at home...

School in 40s, top 5%, part-time

In: Harvard, UVA, GULC (EA - p/t)
Out: Yale, Columbia
Withdrew: NYU

Attending: Harvard


(shock and awe)


Holy crap! Great cycle! Congrats to you!!!

User avatar
jp0094
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby jp0094 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:15 pm

dinged by UPenn, T2 school, T10% + LR.

Figured as much, good luck to the remaining hopefuls.

selfloathingtransfer
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby selfloathingtransfer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:49 pm

thexfactor wrote:wow feast or famine.
T50 10-12% LR likely to be shut out at all T18 schools. 1 more left.


USC right? Yeah, I'm going to go check the mail now, but I think I'll probably have to wait another day or two.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby 270910 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 pm

thexfactor wrote:how could this happen? is there really that big of a diff between 5%-10%?


Unfortunately, for the transfer process, yes. In terms of raw GPA and statistics, the gulf between top 10% and top 5% is much wider than, say, 15 to 10 or 20 to 15. Somebody who is top 4% will have a much higher GPA by 'eyeballing it' than somebody who is top 9% at most sufficiently large schools. It's a quirk of the data, but it's true. Absent compelling softs and/or already being at a very highly ranked school, I suspect that there appeared to be a large emphasis on the actual GPA number. This explains why the top 15-8% region or so seems to have produced almost alarmingly worse results for some candidates - while others, like MegaTTTron who actually had a very high gpa "number" despite being in that class rank , wound up doing quite well. I can think of a few other posters with quirky results that can probably attribute some of their success or failure this cycle to dissonance between GPA number and rank as a percentage.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.