Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:01 pm

Bankhead wrote:Dante: I think people are telling you not to transfer, not because they think it's the incredibly stupid thing to do, but just that it doesn't matter so it's easier just to stay. You aren't going to have all of these wonderful career opps at Loyola you wouldn't have at SW.

It's just not a big deal either way, it's not like going from Loyola to Berkeley or something. Loyola and SW are both secondary/tertiary schools in LA where you'll get a fine education but have to rely on your own merits/networking to obtain your ideal position. You don't need to have some incredible knowledge of the LA market to know this.

Therefore, this might be the blandest transfer situation this entire cycle. It doesn't need 5 pages and Susan Estrich.


If I had had liquid in my mouth when I read the bolded, it would be on my screen right now. :lol:

I will point out that discarding our advice for peeps "in the real world" may not be as great a thing as you think, Dante. I've met many practicing attorneys and I've heard everything you could imagine, even this gem: "make sure you go to an accredited university." Practicing attorneys are often out of touch with the realities of the job market and also assume things will come easier to grads than we know things to be.

Regardless, it brings a smile to my face when this discussion is put into the perspective that bankhead pointed out above, and I will wish you the best of luck. Have fun at Loyola man! Congrats on working your butt off and seeing the fruits. :)

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby rynabrius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Congrats D'Wilde!

We have comparable stats (I think) -- hopefully this means I will hear soon.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:30 pm

This decision is certainly not "bland" from my perspective. Whatever. I appreciate the hostility.


Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:48 pm

stinger35 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt4pazxbuhY


I can't listen to this at the moment, but I'm assuming you're being an asshole.

Thank you.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 pm

There was absolutely nothing hostile about my post, dude.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Dante: I really am being sincere that I wish you the best of luck.

In other news: Decision mailed at Vandy: 07/19, Hello dingy, it's been awhile, I look forward to seeing you in a few days. :)

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 pm

A'nold wrote:Dante: I really am being sincere that I wish you the best of luck.

In other news: Decision mailed at Vandy: 07/19, Hello dingy, it's been awhile, I look forward to seeing you in a few days. :)


You never know; good luck, A'nold.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Bankhead wrote:
A'nold wrote:Dante: I really am being sincere that I wish you the best of luck.

In other news: Decision mailed at Vandy: 07/19, Hello dingy, it's been awhile, I look forward to seeing you in a few days. :)


You never know; good luck, A'nold.


Haha, thanks, but doesn't Vandy accept by email?

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm

I have no idea. I didn't apply. I don't think they've accepted anyone.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I think by phone.... according to YHOO TRANSFER

A'nold wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
A'nold wrote:Dante: I really am being sincere that I wish you the best of luck.

In other news: Decision mailed at Vandy: 07/19, Hello dingy, it's been awhile, I look forward to seeing you in a few days. :)


You never know; good luck, A'nold.


Haha, thanks, but doesn't Vandy accept by email?

selfloathingtransfer
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby selfloathingtransfer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:03 pm

A'nold wrote:Haha, thanks, but doesn't Vandy accept by email?


I don't remember seeing anyone on here talk about getting accepted by email. The whole "Decision Mailed" thing makes me think they mail no matter what - i.e. they mail a dingletter, or a yeapacket. IDK. In any case, I should be able to provide some insight on this pretty soon.

arstech
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby arstech » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm done with my cycle, so for the benefit of people looking at this thread next year:
School: Cornell
GPA: 3.9
Rank: Unknown—Top 10% starts at 3.66
Harvard: In on 7/20
Stanford: In on 7/16
Yale: Apparently requires two letters of recommendation from a professor. Make note of this!

Good luck to everyone with pending applications!

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby Bankhead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:24 pm

So which is it gonna be arstech? And congrats!

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby rynabrius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Congrats arstech.

You know I just visited Palo Alto, and it was very nice. Yep, much nicer than winter in Cambridge. . .

D.Wilde
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby D.Wilde » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Cambridge is a beautiful town, and some of us actually like that New England has...you know...seasons.

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby rynabrius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Shh I'm working an angle here.

arstech
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby arstech » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Bankhead wrote:So which is it gonna be arstech? And congrats!

Harvard.

It's not an easy decision, but it basically comes down to expected value. To make law review at Stanford, your writing competition scores have to be in the top 45 (or so) out of a class of 170. My writing and Bluebook skills are decent, but I think it is unlikely that I could score in the top 25%. And without law review, Harvard is probably the better choice.

Of course, this all depends on your life goals. My life goal is to sleep with a lot of undergraduates who have seen the movie "Legally Blonde."

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby dbt » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:59 pm

arstech wrote:
Bankhead wrote:So which is it gonna be arstech? And congrats!

Harvard.

It's not an easy decision, but it basically comes down to expected value. To make law review at Stanford, your writing competition scores have to be in the top 45 (or so) out of a class of 170. My writing and Bluebook skills are decent, but I think it is unlikely that I could score in the top 25%. And without law review, Harvard is probably the better choice.

Of course, this all depends on your life goals. My life goal is to sleep with a lot of undergraduates who have seen the movie "Legally Blonde."


I was under the impression that Stanford has a separate write-on competition for transfers, as does Yale.

Weather-wise, I would go with Harvard too. Gotta love New England fall and winter!

Edit: Would also keep in mind the difference in class size. I think in this economy it really matters since employers aren't hiring too many as is, and they still like to diversify by getting students from each of the top schools. Just a lot more competition from other Harvard kids.

User avatar
grobbelski
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby grobbelski » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

If you've been dinged, is it inappropriate to email and try and ask for a spot on the waitlist? There is an obvious benefit if you are successful, are there other drawbacks that I'm no considering? Has anyone done this?

arstech
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby arstech » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 pm

dbt wrote:[I was under the impression that Stanford has a separate write-on competition for transfers, as does Yale.

Their correspondence thusfar has indicated that they do not, but who knows?

dbt wrote:Weather-wise, I would go with Harvard too. Gotta love New England fall and winter!

I agree. A lot of people like sunny weather, but I grew up in Wisconsin.

dbt wrote:Would also keep in mind the difference in class size. I think in this economy it really matters since employers aren't hiring too many as is, and they still like to diversify by getting students from each of the top schools. Just a lot more competition from other Harvard kids.

I am too ignorant to know how this will play out, so I'm not factoring it in my decision. You may be right, though.

User avatar
jlockhart6
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:12 am

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby jlockhart6 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm

grobbelski wrote:If you've been dinged, is it inappropriate to email and try and ask for a spot on the waitlist? There is an obvious benefit if you are successful, are there other drawbacks that I'm no considering? Has anyone done this?


Are you sure every transfer school even does a waitlist? I was under the impression most do not, but that could be totally wrong.

saucie
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby saucie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:14 pm

grobbelski wrote:If you've been dinged, is it inappropriate to email and try and ask for a spot on the waitlist? There is an obvious benefit if you are successful, are there other drawbacks that I'm no considering? Has anyone done this?


I don't think there's any harm in asking, though I wouldn't pin my hopes on it. I emailed UCLA and received a form response about the competitiveness of the applications they received.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby traydeuce » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I would note that a Stanford transfer posted here and said that of the 10 transfers who did the write-on, 6 made the Law Review. (5 didn't try.) So it may not be as competitive as you think.

User avatar
grobbelski
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Postby grobbelski » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:22 pm

jlockhart6 wrote:
grobbelski wrote:If you've been dinged, is it inappropriate to email and try and ask for a spot on the waitlist? There is an obvious benefit if you are successful, are there other drawbacks that I'm no considering? Has anyone done this?


Are you sure every transfer school even does a waitlist? I was under the impression most do not, but that could be totally wrong.



No, I'm not sure. Good question.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.