Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
patrickd139

Gold

Re: Official 2010 Transfer Cycle Results Thread

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

In at SMU via phone call at ~9:30am.

T2, Top 6%, graded onto lr, TX resident (want to practice in Dallas), applied 7/1 (at the deadline)

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Don't want to get into details, as this will clearly out me to my new classmates, but I've written on at another T1 that I haven't heard back from yet wrt admissions, and am accepted to a T3 where I'll be on a secondary journal b/c transfers can't write on (at least until the third year, presumably). Both are areas to which I have ties, but the latter is a more attractive geographic locale, IE I think I'd be happier starting my career there; however, I would not be unhappy at the former. If - and obviously a big if - I'm accepted to the former, would I be crazy to take the latter? I'm not gunning for big law, obviously.

Still waiting on Wisky.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:20 pm

How do you find the time, energy, motivation to do all of these write-ons??

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Bankhead wrote:How do you find the time, energy, motivation to do all of these write-ons??
I genuinely enjoy it, a concession that usually causes people to slowly back away speaking in a soft voice and avoiding eye contact. I actually plan to take a couple of the submissions and use them as a skeleton for more thorough comments. It's just a hobby - I have no real illusions of publishing on any grand scale - but it's one that's more productive than what I'd be spending my time doing otherwise, which usually ends with a trip to the campus clinic.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:44 pm

CMR wrote:
Bankhead wrote:How do you find the time, energy, motivation to do all of these write-ons??
I genuinely enjoy it, a concession that usually causes people to slowly back away speaking in a soft voice and avoiding eye contact. I actually plan to take a couple of the submissions and use them as a skeleton for more thorough comments. It's just a hobby - I have no real illusions of publishing on any grand scale - but it's one that's more productive than what I'd be spending my time doing otherwise, which usually ends with a trip to the campus clinic.
Be careful, there are those who attribute my rejections to adcomm perusal of this very site. Anyway, I enjoy writing write-ons too (and bench memos, and legal writing assignments, etc.), although the Georgetown one I'm doing currently isn't very fun. Primarily because they want it to be so short.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:58 pm

mardimar wrote:
chitown825 wrote:
mardimar wrote:^^ Thanks! I'm shocked and so excited!
Fordham currently?

nope. school in the 40s, suppose I should change it to T50.
wow, you transferred to harvard from a school in the 40's from a part-time program?!

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:59 pm

traydeuce wrote: Be careful, there are those who attribute my rejections to adcomm perusal of this very site. Anyway, I enjoy writing write-ons too (and bench memos, and legal writing assignments, etc.), although the Georgetown one I'm doing currently isn't very fun. Primarily because they want it to be so short.
Yeah, that always sucks, primarily because most packets advise that you take a stance - but if you're going to take a stance, it seems you should be held accountable for discussing the tangential impact your proposition may have on related issues. On the one hand, it's nice because it allows you to narrow your issue without more than cursory concern for whether you're advocating something that would have indirect but significant implications, but I always feel like I'm left with kind of an empirically useless paper.

Regarding adcomms, hello adcomms, I have a girlfriend, I'm faithful to her, and if she saw that comment she would laugh, so please don't hate. If you're lurking, please post, your insight would be helpful, as my dings are piling up a bit here ;)>

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:00 pm

patrickd139 wrote:In at SMU via phone call at ~9:30am.

T2, Top 6%, graded onto lr, TX resident (want to practice in Dallas), applied 7/1 (at the deadline)
Congrats!!! Are you waiting to hear from any other schools, or will you be at SMU in the fall?

bizen boat

New

Post by bizen boat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 pm

traydeuce wrote: Be careful, there are those who attribute my rejections to adcomm perusal of this very site.
That would be absolutely ridiculous if true. While some of your infamous posts came across as arrogant, I think you're one of the more honest people on here in assessing yourself and others. It's not like you've hid the fact that you've received some tough rejections in order to preserve your ego. Just my .02, not trying to suck up. Next thing you know adcom's are going to start analyzing us based on how we act while drunk in bars.

(before anyone says anything, i know the smart/easy thing to do is simply be more careful about specific identifying factors when being as ass, but it's the principle of the thing that bothers me, not the execution)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

t4tot1

New

Post by t4tot1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:03 pm

in at smu this morning via phone call

t4 top 7% lr and moot court

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:07 pm

My trouble with the Georgetown one is that there are two distinct issues in the case, room enough to comment only on one, and in the case of the more interesting one, the packet is virtually bereft of any supporting material. Leaving you to kind of fly solo on a pretty tough question of con law. The other one, on the other hand, is so well hashed out between the various circuits arguing over the issue in the packet that virtually anything you say is just going to be a repetition of one opinion or another.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 pm

bizen boat wrote:
traydeuce wrote: Be careful, there are those who attribute my rejections to adcomm perusal of this very site.
That would be absolutely ridiculous if true. While some of your infamous posts came across as arrogant, I think you're one of the more honest people on here in assessing yourself and others. It's not like you've hid the fact that you've received some tough rejections in order to preserve your ego. Just my .02, not trying to suck up. Next thing you know adcom's are going to start analyzing us based on how we act while drunk in bars.

(before anyone says anything, i know the smart/easy thing to do is simply be more careful about specific identifying factors when being as ass, but it's the principle of the thing that bothers me, not the execution)
I don't think there's any doubt it's at least partially true, and to be honest, I'd think less of the adcomms if they didn't - it's a public forum that they're free to view, and a potential source of context to place particularly difficult admissions decisions in. If, for example, someone put on their application that they were interested in working in public interest, it would be kind of silly for the committee to ignore a thread in which an easily identified poster declared their unwavering intent to do big law.

And let's be honest - most posters here realize this. You don't have to be particularly observant to notice a dramatic decrease in vitriol and infighting in this subindex as compared to the others on TLS :).

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm

traydeuce wrote:My trouble with the Georgetown one is that there are two distinct issues in the case, room enough to comment only on one, and in the case of the more interesting one, the packet is virtually bereft of any supporting material. Leaving you to kind of fly solo on a pretty tough question of con law. The other one, on the other hand, is so well hashed out between the various circuits arguing over the issue in the packet that virtually anything you say is just going to be a repetition of one opinion or another.
My friend at a T6 wrote on last year by picking an uncontested procedural rule that was present in all the cases, and she thought her success was mostly due to the fact that there's no way anyone else focused on that because of the policy issues. I can't even remember what it was it sounded so boring, but it's a thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:17 pm

CMR wrote:
traydeuce wrote:My trouble with the Georgetown one is that there are two distinct issues in the case, room enough to comment only on one, and in the case of the more interesting one, the packet is virtually bereft of any supporting material. Leaving you to kind of fly solo on a pretty tough question of con law. The other one, on the other hand, is so well hashed out between the various circuits arguing over the issue in the packet that virtually anything you say is just going to be a repetition of one opinion or another.
My friend at a T6 wrote on last year by picking an uncontested procedural rule that was present in all the cases, and she thought her success was mostly due to the fact that there's no way anyone else focused on that because of the policy issues. I can't even remember what it was it sounded so boring, but it's a thought.
I like procedural rules. The situation is similar here; issue one is pretty overshadowed by issue two - it's way less important, comes up much less often, in the context of claims that are either impossible to prove or have all been won long ago, but it's fun and technical. Unfortunately, the packet makers, while including a case or two on the issue, gave it pretty short shrift.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 pm

traydeuce wrote: I like procedural rules. The situation is similar here; issue one is pretty overshadowed by issue two - it's way less important, comes up much less often, in the context of claims that are either impossible to prove or have all been won long ago, but it's fun and technical. Unfortunately, the packet makers, while including a case or two on the issue, gave it pretty short shrift.
I advise writing a scathing critique based entirely on the canon of expressio unius and the query "but where do we draw the line?"

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:22 pm

CMR wrote:
traydeuce wrote: I like procedural rules. The situation is similar here; issue one is pretty overshadowed by issue two - it's way less important, comes up much less often, in the context of claims that are either impossible to prove or have all been won long ago, but it's fun and technical. Unfortunately, the packet makers, while including a case or two on the issue, gave it pretty short shrift.
I advise writing a scathing critique based entirely on the canon of expressio unius and the query "but where do we draw the line?"
Huge expressio unius fan here. I should write a comment one day called Expressio Unius: Its Uses and Misuses.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 pm

traydeuce wrote:Huge expressio unius fan here. I should write a comment one day called Expressio Unius: Its Uses and Misuses.
--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phoenixsoars

New

Post by phoenixsoars » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm

phoenixsoars wrote:For the benefit of those who might be curious about numbers for transfers:
T25, #2 in section
GPA: 4.13

Harvard: In
Stanford: In
Yale: Out
sick grats man really well done

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 pm

phoenixsoars wrote:For the benefit of those who might be curious about numbers for transfers:
T25, #2 in section
GPA: 4.13

Harvard: In
Stanford: In
Yale: Out
Congrats!!! So... on which coast will you be living come September?

clk32

New

Post by clk32 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:13 am

In at Columbia! applied 6/8 accepted 7/20!! I put my deposit down today!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

haribo77

New

Post by haribo77 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:30 pm

out at uga. slitting wrists now

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 pm

il join you.... out ucla...
how can this be? i cant get ANYTHING... T50 10%
haribo77 wrote:out at uga. slitting wrists now

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Out at UCLA via email.

(I never sent my letter of good standing because I got into Berkeley about the same day i applied to UCLA)

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 pm

how is this possible. get into UCB and out at UCLA and GULC?

WTF??
stinger35 wrote:Out at UCLA via email.

(I never sent my letter of good standing because I got into Berkeley about the same day i applied to UCLA)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”