cooley to somewhere Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clseller

New

Re: cooley to somewhere

Post by clseller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 pm

I met a fellow who transferred from Cooley to Pepperdine. Not that Pepperdine is super spectacular or anything, but it has a decent rep in southern California.

sanam

New

Post by sanam » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:06 am

I am from toronto, any more advice from board?

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:21 pm

FWIW, I'm in a similar position (1L at a similar T4 school with similar grades/rank and a hefty scholarship). I'm applying to transfer to a T2 program, but I'm mostly applying because there are some personal/family things going on and my family is looking to relocate. If I didn't have personal reasons to transfer, I would probably stay at my T4 with my scholarship.

bestusernameever

New

Post by bestusernameever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:22 pm

99% chance you will not make it if you go there, even if its part time

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Dude, don't leave your scholarship at Cooley for MSU unless the joint program with Ottawa is a sure thing. Unless you're really hung up on ABA-accreditation, try to leverege your impressive performance at Cooley into an admission in Canada, anywhere in Canada (apply to every school at which you have a chance as a transfer student, not just the ones in Ontario). As a Canadian, you'll end up paying less than you are now, and you won't be attending a laughingstock law school. Even if you find you really do want to come back to the U.S. to practice one day, a Canadian degree is good for N.Y. and Mass., and the one year of American law school you've already put in will go a surprisingly long way towards being admitted to most other State bar associations (most of them require foreign lawyers to have less than a year's worth of basic American legal education, and you've got that). These are your best options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bestusernameever

New

Post by bestusernameever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:38 pm

MJMD wrote:Dude, don't leave your scholarship at Cooley for MSU unless the joint program with Ottawa is a sure thing. Unless you're really hung up on ABA-accreditation, try to leverege your impressive performance at Cooley into an admission in Canada, anywhere in Canada (apply to every school at which you have a chance as a transfer student, not just the ones in Ontario). As a Canadian, you'll end up paying less than you are now, and you won't be attending a laughingstock law school. Even if you find you really do want to come back to the U.S. to practice one day, a Canadian degree is good for N.Y. and Mass., and the one year of American law school you've already put in will go a surprisingly long way towards being admitted to most other State bar associations (most of them require foreign lawyers to have less than a year's worth of basic American legal education, and you've got that). These are your best options.
Cooley had spelling erros on the emails they sent me encouraging me to apply. I would never degrade myself to go there, but those emails certainily would prevent me from going if was stupid enouph to even consider such a shitty law school. Transfer out

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 pm

bestusernameever wrote:Cooley had spelling erros on the emails they sent me encouraging me to apply. I would never degrade myself to go there, but those emails certainily would prevent me from going if was stupid enouph to even consider such a shitty law school. Transfer out

Midleton

New

Post by Midleton » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:19 pm

I was just accepted as a transfer student at a T30 from Cooley. It is possible; don't give up.

Top 10%, 160 LSAT, embarrassing undergraduate GPA.

yeahlawschool

New

Post by yeahlawschool » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:25 am

Did you only apply to MSU? That is the biggest mistake you could have made. Do not let people on here tell you about where you can go. Cooley people can certainly transfer to some pretty good places. I know several people that were ranked in the upper 20% of thier class get into schools ranked in the 20's. My roomate is ranked 16% and so far has got into American and U MD. Another friend of mine has a 3.4 and have gotten into GW, UMIN and a few other places. And so far I have gotten into some pretty great schools. All ranked in the 20's. I have a few more schools that I am waiting on.

There is a girl that I work with this summer at my clerkship and she has only one semester left at MSU and cannot find a job. She says the OCI's there are uselesss. I am only a 1L and have landed the same paid clerkship that a 3L MSU student has gotten.

I don't think MSU is worth the extra money to be completely honest I think maybe try to apply to more places or take the next semester off and apply for spring start.

Sorry this is so poorly typed. I am at work and I couldn't resist post on here even though I'm suppose to be preparing for a motion I'm arguing tomorrow afternoon.
Bankhead wrote:I think a Tier 2 is a possibility. Probably not a Top 50. And yes, transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 am

Cooley to MSU is a massive upgrade. I think you all are overstating how good top 10% at Cooley is. Top 10% at T2/T3 is looking at a T1 transfer, not top 10% at Cooley.

yeahlawschool

New

Post by yeahlawschool » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 am

I'm certainly not over stating 10% at Cooley, I'm just saying that it can get you into tier 1 schools hands down. I firmly believe that because I have seen it over and over for the past month. And I disargree that it is a massive upgrade. Upgrade, yes, but not massive. I feel like if you don't go to Cooley or know someone there you really don't know about it. I'm not gloating that I know about it because its def not a highlight on my resume, but I'm certain 10% can get tier 1.

danquayle wrote:Cooley to MSU is a massive upgrade. I think you all are overstating how good top 10% at Cooley is. Top 10% at T2/T3 is looking at a T1 transfer, not top 10% at Cooley.

thepaintrain

New

Post by thepaintrain » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:56 am

danquayle wrote:Cooley to MSU is a massive upgrade. I think you all are overstating how good top 10% at Cooley is. Top 10% at T2/T3 is looking at a T1 transfer, not top 10% at Cooley.
Although MSU is better, it's a COMPLETE waste of effort and time to use a top 10% at Cooley to transfer to MSU. MSU has mediocre at best job prospects in one of the worst economies in the country! Even if/when the law market changes Michigan will still not be a favorable location to be trapped in.

fyi, I'm a Michigan resident gtfo'ing while I can!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”