Southwestern to Loyola?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:44 am

Just soliciting opinions. I will certainly take yours into consideration. If I stay at Southwestern, I may visit a DC school for my third year to try and improve my chances of getting hired at the Commission.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:46 am

Danteshek wrote:Just soliciting opinions. I will certainly take yours into consideration. If I stay at Southwestern, I may visit a DC school for my third year to try and improve my chances of getting hired at the Commission.


Cool. Yeah, I was just expressing confusion, not trying to be a jerk (we are all kind of in this situation together, haha). Visiting could be a great option, actually.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 am

I may also do the LL.M. in Securities and Financial Regulation at Georgetown.

User avatar
chango
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby chango » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:32 am

solidsnake wrote:I agree w A'nold: try out UCI. To be honest, I don't think top 20% at a T4 is anything to write home about, but UCI may go for it.


FTR, SWL is currently a T3.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby 1ferret! » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:14 pm

heard bad things about SW career office lately... a change may be in order

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:53 pm

chango wrote:
solidsnake wrote:I agree w A'nold: try out UCI. To be honest, I don't think top 20% at a T4 is anything to write home about, but UCI may go for it.


FTR, SWL is currently a T3.


Well that just changes everything.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Bankhead wrote:
chango wrote:
solidsnake wrote:I agree w A'nold: try out UCI. To be honest, I don't think top 20% at a T4 is anything to write home about, but UCI may go for it.


FTR, SWL is currently a T3.


Well that just changes everything.

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:08 pm

1ferret! wrote:heard bad things about SW career office lately... a change may be in order


Bad things like?

User avatar
chango
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby chango » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Bankhead wrote:
chango wrote:
solidsnake wrote:I agree w A'nold: try out UCI. To be honest, I don't think top 20% at a T4 is anything to write home about, but UCI may go for it.


FTR, SWL is currently a T3.


Well that just changes everything.


According to Shell Oil it does:


http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/the-tier ... shell-oil/

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Alright. I took my dad's advice and applied to George Washington.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Danteshek wrote:Alright. I took my dad's advice and applied to George Washington.


Maybe you should also hit up W&M and W&L, they are pretty transfer friendly.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:17 pm

A'nold wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Alright. I took my dad's advice and applied to George Washington.


Maybe you should also hit up W&M and W&L, they are pretty transfer friendly.


Nah. The whole point is to be in DC. And Catholic and American aren't really worth it.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Danteshek wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Alright. I took my dad's advice and applied to George Washington.


Maybe you should also hit up W&M and W&L, they are pretty transfer friendly.


Nah. The whole point is to be in DC. And Catholic and American aren't really worth it.


Maybe but if a transfer to Loyola is worth it, those other schools in D.C. may be worth it if you plan on doing some crazy networking over the next few years.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby 1ferret! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
1ferret! wrote:heard bad things about SW career office lately... a change may be in order


Bad things like?


Nothing real specific. Just chatting with a couple SW students who thought that the office was unhelpful and were disappointed.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:12 pm

A'nold wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Alright. I took my dad's advice and applied to George Washington.


Maybe you should also hit up W&M and W&L, they are pretty transfer friendly.


Nah. The whole point is to be in DC. And Catholic and American aren't really worth it.


Maybe but if a transfer to Loyola is worth it, those other schools in D.C. may be worth it if you plan on doing some crazy networking over the next few years.


The problem is that American and Catholic won't do much for me in LA if I don't end up at the SEC. The SEC is pretty much the only job that will keep me away from LA.
Last edited by Danteshek on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:15 pm

A'nold wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Maybe you should also hit up W&M and W&L, they are pretty transfer friendly.


Nah. The whole point is to be in DC. And Catholic and American aren't really worth it.


Maybe but if a transfer to Loyola is worth it, those other schools in D.C. may be worth it if you plan on doing some crazy networking over the next few years.


The problem is that American and Catholic won't do much for me in LA if I don't end up at the SEC.


Yeah, and if your major plan is CA then I see that. Any thought about applying to GMU? They are so business oriented and they are transfer friendly.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Not really. I don't think there is much difference between American and GMU in terms of prospects.

Soul Minded
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Soul Minded » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 pm

I got a huge scholarship and the people at Southwestern seem genuinely interested in helping me be a successful lawyer that is enough for me, I do not have illusions of a six figure job out of either Loyola or Southwestern. However, I personally know several high achievers entering their final year at Loyola and they are going to be doing personal injury law post graduation even though they did the entertainment law program because Loyola has not provided them with quality placements. I personally hate debt because it limits your options for the future. Dante may want to work for the SEC now but he may also want something completely different in a year's time.

I would strongly suggest you pursue your scholarship options at Southwestern before making what could be a very costly move.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:23 pm

I will definitely wait until I have the scholarship numbers from Southwestern before making this decision. The Dean has said that everyone in the top 30% will get money. They increased the budget significantly this year to try and retain high performing students. It remains to seen how much people in the 11%-30% actually get. I would probably feel more loyalty to Southwestern had they given me a scholarship from the get go. I got nothing for my first year.

Also, FWIW, I came into this process with substantial savings. I also have (limited) additional support from my mother. She has said she will support me more if I transfer.

bconly
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby bconly » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 am

solidsnake wrote:Reputation of SW and Loyola is identical as a "bar-passer" school.


That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. If that's the case, explain why about 200 firms participate in Loyola's OCI vs. about 15 at SW (and that's just the first major difference that comes to mind).

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:08 am

bconly wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Reputation of SW and Loyola is identical as a "bar-passer" school.


That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. If that's the case, explain why about 200 firms participate in Loyola's OCI vs. about 15 at SW (and that's just the first major difference that comes to mind).


Whatever. Born and raised in LA. I attend neither school. If you think Loyola has even an ounce more of prestige than SW, then you are drinking some strong kool-aid.

bconly
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby bconly » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:35 am

solidsnake wrote:
Whatever. Born and raised in LA. I attend neither school. If you think Loyola has even an ounce more of prestige than SW, then you are drinking some strong kool-aid.


Hah/wow... You say that just because you were 'born and raised' here (so was I), that makes you the final authority. I'm not the one drinking the kool-aid, bud.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:34 pm

bconly wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Reputation of SW and Loyola is identical as a "bar-passer" school.


That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. If that's the case, explain why about 200 firms participate in Loyola's OCI vs. about 15 at SW (and that's just the first major difference that comes to mind).


More large firms do OCI at Loyola than Southwestern. But if you think that 200 "firms" go to Loyola, 150 of those are probably either solo practitioners or firms with fewer than 10 attorneys. The 200 number is probably the number of different firms that have come to Loyola in the last X number of years. Southwestern is probably reporting the actual number that came in X year.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Southwestern or Loyola?

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:36 pm

bconly wrote:
solidsnake wrote:
Whatever. Born and raised in LA. I attend neither school. If you think Loyola has even an ounce more of prestige than SW, then you are drinking some strong kool-aid.


Hah/wow... You say that just because you were 'born and raised' here (so was I), that makes you the final authority. I'm not the one drinking the kool-aid, bud.


I wasn't born in LA, but I have lived there since age 13 (15 years). There is definitely a gap in prestige, but I don't think that gap is particularly well justified. I also think that the gap is closing. Southwestern had a pretty horrid reputation in the 80's and 90's. A lot of those problems were fixed when the school contracted the size its student body and relaxed the curve (it still has the toughest curve in the LA area).

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Southwestern to Loyola?

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm

To me, and about every attorney I know in LA with whom I've discussed the topic, differences in reputation or prestige between Loyola and SW are akin to differences between Seton Hall and New York Law School. Sure, there might be a disparity in the us news rankings between the two schools, but once you get to that general level of TTT, there are all pretty much regarded as more or less the same.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.