Transfer Advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JR233270
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:26 am

Transfer Advice

Postby JR233270 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently at a T3 and I just received my second semester grades but not my class rank - that comes out in two weeks or so. My GPA is 3.44 but my school has a B- curve (2.7). I assume I'll be at least top 10%. I already applied to Brooklyn and GULC (total long shot). I'd like to stay in the Mid-Atlantic, North East part of the country. So where do you think I should apply? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

JR

User avatar
RayFinkle
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby RayFinkle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 am

WUSTL is probably your ceiling... higher than that is pretty much luck. (although, transferring can be really really random, so cast a wide net)

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:15 pm

I agree with the previous poster. As long as you end up in the top 10% you I would think you should be in pretty good shape for schools in the 20-30 range. Anything above could be considered a "reach," anything below a safety. I would certainly pick schools in areas that you want to practice. If you end up being ranked closer to top 5% though, definitely would be worth applying a little higher than schools around 20.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby A'nold » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 pm

OP, our stats and situation are nearly identical. Please be sure to update us as you go along. My transfer list is on another thread but it is:

Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Cornell
GULC- EA pt/ft deferred
Vanderbilt
UCLA
WUSTL
Notre Dame
Emory
UC Hastings

I am considering adding either the University of Minn. or UCI. Probably UCI.

JR233270
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby JR233270 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:25 pm

A'nold wrote:OP, our stats and situation are nearly identical. Please be sure to update us as you go along. My transfer list is on another thread but it is:

Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Cornell
GULC- EA pt/ft deferred
Vanderbilt
UCLA
WUSTL
Notre Dame
Emory
UC Hastings

I am considering adding either the University of Minn. or UCI. Probably UCI.



Thanks for the message. After looking at your list I think I may be setting my sights too low. My transfer list (so far) is:

GULC - EA full time deferred
Brooklyn - Conditional Acceptance (met the conditions but probably will withdraw application)
American
George Washington
Temple
Villanova
Cardozo
Fordham

I want to be on the East Coast and preferably in Philadelphia, New York City, or D.C. Do you think I should be aiming higher?

-JR

tbo123123
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby tbo123123 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm

JR233270 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm currently at a T3 and I just received my second semester grades but not my class rank - that comes out in two weeks or so. My GPA is 3.44 but my school has a B- curve (2.7). I assume I'll be at least top 10%. I already applied to Brooklyn and GULC (total long shot). I'd like to stay in the Mid-Atlantic, North East part of the country. So where do you think I should apply? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

JR


How do you "assume you'll be at least top 10%?" I "assumed" similar things about my grades, turned out pretty differently.

JR233270
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby JR233270 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 pm

tbo123123 wrote:
JR233270 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm currently at a T3 and I just received my second semester grades but not my class rank - that comes out in two weeks or so. My GPA is 3.44 but my school has a B- curve (2.7). I assume I'll be at least top 10%. I already applied to Brooklyn and GULC (total long shot). I'd like to stay in the Mid-Atlantic, North East part of the country. So where do you think I should apply? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

JR


How do you "assume you'll be at least top 10%?" I "assumed" similar things about my grades, turned out pretty differently.



Well, last semester I was within the top 10% and my GPA was below what it is now. I improved my GPA and unless everyone else improved theirs too, I will remain in the top 10%. That is how I "assume [I'll] be at least top 10%."




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.