Transferring from a Top 30?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zcc2012

Transferring from a Top 30?

Postby zcc2012 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi all,

I just got my last grade back, which was much lower than expected and hugely disappointing. I had been planning to transfer, but now I'm not so sure. Please talk some sense into me either way.

Current school: #28 with strong placement in local market. Ideally, I'd like to work in this particular local market.

My GPA puts me right around top 15%.

I've obviously taken HYSCCN off my app list. Still considering Boalt, Penn, Mich, UVA, Northwestern. Should I consider more schools? Less? None?

Thanks!
Last edited by zcc2012 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Re: Transferring from a Top 30?

Postby dbt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:49 pm

So you're like maybe top 15%? Somewhere in that area. Stick CCN back in there. You may get one of the three.

If you've got the money, may as well apply.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 am

If you're considering a transfer, go for it. As the above poster correctly suggested, put CCN back in the mix. Write some heartfelt, killer statements, get some solid LORs and go for it.

The only nonsense move would be to give up. You definitely have a shot at some great schools from the top 20 on up.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:21 am

A note: NU still wants work experience, even for transfers, so if you don't have it, you'll be at a serious disadvantage.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:26 am

Is it worth it to transfer in this situation if the school you're at places strongly in your target market and you are already around top 15%?

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 am

I'm a 0L, but I am going to offer my thoughts on this because it has been on my mind lately.

I'm going to UGA next year, which is very similar to the school you are describing(so many schools are 28 that is hard to tell :)) UGA places well in Atlanta, the market I want to work in. I have been thinking, "what happens if I do really well? do I want to transfer?"

I'm leaning towards not transferring unless its HYS. This is my reasoning as of right now. I would take on a lot more debt transferring to a T14. This debt would be worth it if I wanted NYC or Washington, DC, but I don't. I would be paying about 100,000 more to see the same firms at OCI. There are probably not that many firms that (for Atlanta, mind you) that go to UVA/Duke/Texas that would not be at UGA. I would essentially be paying 100,000 more for what? An alumni network? I'd still have that at UGA. I don't buy that the education is that much better at a T14, not 100,000 dollars better. It would just be a resume boost.
At a T30, I think if your grades are good enough to transfer, they're probably good enough to get you a job in the secondary market. At least I hope so.

zcc2012

Postby zcc2012 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

bk1 wrote:Is it worth it to transfer in this situation if the school you're at places strongly in your target market and you are already around top 15%?

I am SO torn about this. Some people I've talked to said basically what eandy said above (very good points!), and others have said "oh, well in this economy you should take advantage of attending a more well-known school."

I currently do not have a scholly, but the school I go to is seriously cheap, so transferring would dramatically increase my costs. At the same time, I saved $$$$ by going to my school for the first year and have enough saved up to pay for approximately 1 year of tuition at a more expensive school, so at least I wouldn't have to borrow the entire amount.

I love my school and love my local market, but I'm left wondering what sort of doors transferring would open up for me. Guess I should probably send out some apps first to see if I even get in anywhere before I do much more of this deep soul searching. :lol:

zcc2012

Postby zcc2012 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am

MusicNutMeggie wrote:A note: NU still wants work experience, even for transfers, so if you don't have it, you'll be at a serious disadvantage.

Ahhh, yeah, thanks for the reminder. So NU is off my list!

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 pm

zcc2012 wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:A note: NU still wants work experience, even for transfers, so if you don't have it, you'll be at a serious disadvantage.

Ahhh, yeah, thanks for the reminder. So NU is off my list!

No no no. If you want to go, apply. Don't not apply because someone here tells you you NEED work experience. You don't. You might be at a disadvantage but if you want to be at NU, apply.

tbo123123

Postby tbo123123 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Not true.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:26 pm

NU wants work experience because it portrays to them that you are in the correct mindset for law school (i.e. that you are responsible, up for the challenge, have worked in a position of authority, can communicate well, etc). That is the whole reason they admit so many people with work experience and why they have the interviews for incoming 1L's. The people they do admit who lack work experience show how they have those characteristics (and others that having work experience will give you) through the interview process and through personal statements. Obviously they do not allow interviews for the transfer apps but do your best to show why you have those characteristics despite a lack of work experience. They don't want it simply because then you are older...

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Small disadvantage is more accurate

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:03 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Postby dbt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
eandy wrote:I'm leaning towards not transferring unless its HYS. This is my reasoning as of right now. I would take on a lot more debt transferring to a T14. This debt would be worth it if I wanted NYC or Washington, DC, but I don't. I would be paying about 100,000 more to see the same firms at OCI. There are probably not that many firms that (for Atlanta, mind you) that go to UVA/Duke/Texas that would not be at UGA. I would essentially be paying 100,000 more for what? An alumni network? I'd still have that at UGA. I don't buy that the education is that much better at a T14, not 100,000 dollars better. It would just be a resume boost.
At a T30, I think if your grades are good enough to transfer, they're probably good enough to get you a job in the secondary market. At least I hope so.

Glad to hear about all of your transfer plans, 0L! What could possibly go wrong!

lol.

Return to “Transfers”