Elena Kagan's Transcript AKA What's Needed to Get Clerkship Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EzraStiles

New

Elena Kagan's Transcript AKA What's Needed to Get Clerkship

Post by EzraStiles » Tue May 25, 2010 12:10 am

The Nytimes posted her Harvard Transcript (surprise, she did great): http://documents.nytimes.com/kagans-198 ... eport-card

I really just started this to express my sadness at the end of Law & Order. To think, the next generation of lawyers will have not grown up alongside Sam Waterston's wild exhibitionism.

Bankhead

Silver

Re: Elena Kagan's Transcript AKA What's Needed to Get Clerkship

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 25, 2010 12:26 am

I did much better than her in Torts and Crim. :lol:

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue May 25, 2010 12:29 am

I suppose I should know the answer to this, but is Harvard Law School accredited by the American Bar Association and a member in good standing of the Association of American Law Schools?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 am

EzraStiles wrote:The Nytimes posted her Harvard Transcript (surprise, she did great): http://documents.nytimes.com/kagans-198 ... eport-card

I really just started this to express my sadness at the end of Law & Order. To think, the next generation of lawyers will have not grown up alongside Sam Waterston's wild exhibitionism.
I think Sam Waterson is active in insurance commercials and will be with our children for generations to come.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bradley

New

Post by bradley » Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 am

Why did she only take 4 classes her 3L year? And really, that's all the better you have to do to get a SCOTUS nomination? GPA around 3.7.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 1:06 am

Wow... if my only two grades at the end of fall semester were a B and a B- ITE, I'd be in killself mode.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue May 25, 2010 1:07 am

romothesavior wrote:Wow... if my only two grades at the end of fall semester were a B and a B- ITE, I'd be in killself mode.
Might it be possible that "Top-Law-Schools.com" gives one a distorted perception of reality?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 am

BlueCivic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Wow... if my only two grades at the end of fall semester were a B and a B- ITE, I'd be in killself mode.
Might it be possible that "Top-Law-Schools.com" gives one a distorted perception of reality?
Those grades would destroy your shot at biglaw.

But obviously Kagan went to Harvard in a different era and with different interests. Those grades obviously didn't ruin her career. But for a lot of people on TLS, a B or B- average at their respective schools after fall 1L would destroy their big law hopes.

And my first post was a joke. Just sarcasm with a heavy dose of truth sprinkled on top.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:11 am

bradley wrote:Why did she only take 4 classes her 3L year? And really, that's all the better you have to do to get a SCOTUS nomination? GPA around 3.7.
as RTS said, times are different now. at any rate, though, i'm pretty sure it's what she did after HLS that really mattered....

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Tue May 25, 2010 1:36 am

bradley wrote:Why did she only take 4 classes her 3L year? And really, that's all the better you have to do to get a SCOTUS nomination? GPA around 3.7.
If you look at the transcript, it was issued in March of '86 to the student (Kagan). Her final semester grades are probably missing for that reason (I assume they wouldn't be available until May of '86).

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu May 27, 2010 1:01 am

Well, I've never gotten a B or a B-. Then again, I don't go to Harvard (yet). Isn't it ironic, though, that Kagan, a huge expert in administrative law, author of two of the most influential articles in the field in the last 15 years, just brilliant work, got a B+ in administrative law? The worst grade she'd ever get after her 1L year. I got an A in my admin law class and there's no way that I'm a tenth of the admin law mind she is. It just goes to show you - well I'm not sure what it goes to show you, it goes to show you something or another.

shizzle_

New

Post by shizzle_ » Thu May 27, 2010 1:12 am

There may have been grade inflation since. After all, this is what wikipedia says:

"She received a juris doctor, magna cum laude, at Harvard Law School in 1986, where she was supervisory editor of the Harvard Law Review."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Thu May 27, 2010 1:15 am

traydeuce wrote:Well, I've never gotten a B or a B-. Then again, I don't go to Harvard (yet). Isn't it ironic, though, that Kagan, a huge expert in administrative law, author of two of the most influential articles in the field in the last 15 years, just brilliant work, got a B+ in administrative law? The worst grade she'd ever get after her 1L year. I got an A in my admin law class and there's no way that I'm a tenth of the admin law mind she is. It just goes to show you - well I'm not sure what it goes to show you, it goes to show you something or another.
Interesting point. A few thoughts: My understanding is that the HLS faculty from back in the day was pretty rough. And Kagan is definitely smart. But a lot of her smarts is interpersonal smarts, i think. So I can see her getting the rough end of the stick from tough 1980s HLS graders, perhaps. Also, Kagan went through HLS right after college. I think that people change a lot in the 5 or so years after they graduate college. It's plausible to me that she became a more serious student of admin law after law school once she was a bit older.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Thu May 27, 2010 4:25 pm

I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't find the cite) that when Kagan was applying for the Marshall clerkship, she had more than one prof write very enthusiastic LoRs that explicitly dismissed her first sem grades as an anomaly. I think losing that personal relationship with profs who are willing to go to bat for you is the single biggest factor cutting against transferring, since anecdotally most transfers tend to lose touch with their 1L school profs.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:00 pm

solidsnake wrote:I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't find the cite) that when Kagan was applying for the Marshall clerkship, she had more than one prof write very enthusiastic LoRs that explicitly dismissed her first sem grades as an anomaly. I think losing that personal relationship with profs who are willing to go to bat for you is the single biggest factor cutting against transferring, since anecdotally most transfers tend to lose touch with their 1L school profs.
i don't know if i totally buy this argument. yeah, it's great to have a personal relationship with your T2 professors.....but wouldn't it be better to have that relationship with a T14 prof if you can get in??

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:10 pm

shizzle_ wrote:There may have been grade inflation since. After all, this is what wikipedia says:

"She received a juris doctor, magna cum laude, at Harvard Law School in 1986, where she was supervisory editor of the Harvard Law Review."
That transcript would easily be magna today at HLS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu May 27, 2010 8:42 pm

EzraStiles wrote:The Nytimes posted her Harvard Transcript (surprise, she did great): http://documents.nytimes.com/kagans-198 ... eport-card
Well, I guess you gotta do something right when you look like this:

Is she/he a transsexual?

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:05 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Well, I guess you gotta do something right when you look like this:

Is she/he a transsexual?
As a Republican, I'll say that is insulting to transsexuals. Not all transsexuals look like that... :wink:

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote: Well, I guess you gotta do something right when you look like this:

Is she/he a transsexual?
aahh, maturity, how refreshing.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu May 27, 2010 9:39 pm

God I hope this is sarcasm. Couldn't tell, and I'm usually better at reading these things. One thing I'm certain of is that Obama never looked at any of the possible noms GPAs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arundodonax

New

Post by arundodonax » Thu May 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by arundodonax on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Dub

New

Post by Jay Dub » Sat May 29, 2010 1:17 am

traydeuce wrote:Well, I've never gotten a B or a B-. Then again, I don't go to Harvard (yet). Isn't it ironic, though, that Kagan, a huge expert in administrative law, author of two of the most influential articles in the field in the last 15 years, just brilliant work, got a B+ in administrative law? The worst grade she'd ever get after her 1L year. I got an A in my admin law class and there's no way that I'm a tenth of the admin law mind she is. It just goes to show you - well I'm not sure what it goes to show you, it goes to show you something or another.
You've got to be a flame. Aren't you supposedly just finishing 1L? And you've taken Admin already?

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:42 am

shizzle_ wrote:There may have been grade inflation since. After all, this is what wikipedia says:

This! I don't have the stats, but I imagine that it is somewhat meaningless to compare grades over differing decades simply because of grade inflation.

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Sat May 29, 2010 4:30 pm

It was 1986, you shouldn't compare your grades to hers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”