Help A'nold think clearly.........

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Bankhead wrote:I would transfer into a school in a market where you would be content working, or stay where you are

For example, Emory if you want to work in Atlanta.

I would wait until you have your last grades before making a decision on where, if anywhere, to apply though. You could go back up.



I sure hope so! Thanks guys.

To ggocat: I would be giving up LR and an in-state tuition waiver.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Bankhead wrote:Yeah, I feel that grades can be really, really random sometimes. Like it depends what the prof. ate for breakfast before he/she graded your exam. That being said, I guess that is due preparation for the legal profession itself -- when judges can be loose cannons themselves.


+1.

I got my first B this semester. Never anything less than an A-, then I get a fucking B? This prof is NOTORIOUS for not reading exams and just giving random grades. Bastard. Regardless, A'nold, you'll just get 4.0's in your last two classes, so nbd.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 24, 2010 10:11 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Yeah, I feel that grades can be really, really random sometimes. Like it depends what the prof. ate for breakfast before he/she graded your exam. That being said, I guess that is due preparation for the legal profession itself -- when judges can be loose cannons themselves.


+1.

I got my first B this semester. Never anything less than an A-, then I get a fucking B? This prof is NOTORIOUS for not reading exams and just giving random grades. Bastard. Regardless, A'nold, you'll just get 4.0's in your last two classes, so nbd.


Same thing last sem. All grades in the A range, and then 1 B.

In a class I thought I did better in/knew better than some of my A range grades.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Yeah, I feel that grades can be really, really random sometimes. Like it depends what the prof. ate for breakfast before he/she graded your exam. That being said, I guess that is due preparation for the legal profession itself -- when judges can be loose cannons themselves.


+1.

I got my first B this semester. Never anything less than an A-, then I get a fucking B? This prof is NOTORIOUS for not reading exams and just giving random grades. Bastard. Regardless, A'nold, you'll just get 4.0's in your last two classes, so nbd.


This happened to me in one of my classes. I got a freaking below median grade where I had never received anything less than stellar grades.....dude is tenured and completely grades according to "feel." People have taken his checklist, placed it right under his nose, said look, I said this EXACTLY, and he'll just shrug and walk away. He doesn't give a crap about students. Sucks, especially since he is curves to the lowest grade in the entire school.

User avatar
Attucks
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Attucks » Mon May 24, 2010 10:14 pm

A'nold wrote:I mean, don't you think going to a school like Emory would be better than being top 7% at a TTT if it only costs you 1/4 more overall?

If you want to work/live in Atlanta or Georgia.

Unfortunately this sounds like some serious second-guessing of school choice in general. It has to be a good feeling to be back with a strong notion of what law you want to practice and, from my understanding, unless you're gunning for USAO or something, law review grades and a conscious effort to make some connections is going to get you in the door with a prosecutor. Hell, do an externship and get credit for it.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Hmmm......ggocat did bring up an interesting point. I would love to clerk and LR would help me there, I just don't know if it would be worth the risk to give up like WUSTL or Emory for a chance at clerking.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Attucks wrote:
A'nold wrote:I mean, don't you think going to a school like Emory would be better than being top 7% at a TTT if it only costs you 1/4 more overall?

If you want to work/live in Atlanta or Georgia.

Unfortunately this sounds like some serious second-guessing of school choice in general. It has to be a good feeling to be back with a strong notion of what law you want to practice and, from my understanding, unless you're gunning for USAO or something, law review grades and a conscious effort to make some connections is going to get you in the door with a prosecutor. Hell, do an externship and get credit for it.


Damn you attucks, stop bringing logic into this thread! :wink: Part of me would just hate to have this degree hanging on my wall b/c of how much I dislike the school and administration, but it does have a decent presence in one state in particular. Ugh. I hope I get two A's for my remaining two classes and I do get a shot at some more national schools.

I guess this is the ultimate dilemma here: LR and near the bottom of the top 10 at a t3 school that I don't like or transfer to a strong regional like Emory, pay 27% more, lose the chance to clerk (probably), but get a better degree that may pay off more in the end.

Wow, I was so hoping it wouldn't come down to this but I kind of always thought it would.

Oh, btw, this school was one of those "I would be alright with working in the area but I want to transfer" kind of choices, so I wouldn't say I am second guessing my school choice, I have just become more and more pissed at this school's horrific administration and its TTTness lately.

upgrade
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby upgrade » Mon May 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I would be shooting for UT. I do know of people transferring to UT from T3 schools and I believe UT has that "best school outside of the top X schools " type of reputation over a decent region.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 pm

upgrade wrote:I would be shooting for UT. I do know of people transferring to UT from T3 schools and I believe UT has that "best school outside of the top X schools " type of reputation over a decent region.


I just wonder whether it's better to go to UT rather than a slightly lower ranked school in a region that OP actually wants to practice in. The assumption, obviously, is that OP does not want to practice in TX.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 10:55 pm

While I would love to attend UT, it basically only accepts in-state transfers.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm

UIUC?

Chicago's fun. Kinda saturated but I don't think its as bad as NY, DC, LA...I mean...its probably next on the list....but you get what I'm saying.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:UIUC?

Chicago's fun. Kinda saturated but I don't think its as bad as NY, DC, LA...I mean...its probably next on the list....but you get what I'm saying.


UIUC is one of the schools I'm considering, but I'm least familiar with it out of the rest of the schools. I don't know how well one can do as a transfer there, especially wrt becoming an ADA.

Anyone know of any of these schools' rep's. wrt transfers and gov. positions or just prosecution in general.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon May 24, 2010 11:17 pm

I can only tell you that UIUC carries a lot of weight here in Chicago. And if you're not going for BigLaw and therefore do not need to depend so heavily on OCI then I would think getting a job as a prosecutor could be done with some savvy and aggressive networking on your part.

Also, if the way a law school runs is important to you it seems like UIUC is doing a lot to be transparent, helpful and everything else. There's been a lot of scandal regarding some rather ugly instances of blatant nepotism at the undergrad and maybe even the LS, so they have been putting A LOT of emphasis on cleaning up their act and running things like the quality institution they are (i'm saying this and they dinged me...).


Lastly, i'm sure you know this...but I'm a 0L.

upgrade
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby upgrade » Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 pm

A'nold wrote:While I would love to attend UT, it basically only accepts in-state transfers.


Where did you hear this from? I got in as an out-of-state student. The admissions office had a transfer from the prior year call me after my acceptance. He transferred from a T3 in California and had never been to Texas.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Mon May 24, 2010 11:25 pm

upgrade wrote:
A'nold wrote:While I would love to attend UT, it basically only accepts in-state transfers.


Where did you hear this from? I got in as an out-of-state student. The admissions office had a transfer from the prior year call me after my acceptance. He transferred from a T3 in California and had never been to Texas.


I've just heard a million time that it is nearly impossible to transfer in from out-of-state. Were you a t3 transfer? Did you have any connection to Texas at all? Rank? You can pm all of this if you want to. Appreciate the info.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby articulably suspect » Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

A'nold wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
A'nold wrote:I would prefer to live in the PNW and will be applying to UW/Hastings/Davis/Irvine but UW is very hard to get into as a transfer and Hastings and Davis are out-of-this-world expensive w/ this whole tuition increase thing.

Don't transfer to Hastings or Davis A'nold.


See, this is what I'm really trying to figure out. Is this b/c of the CA market and tuition (two very good reasons to avoid these schools, I know)? It's just that our preferred market would be either the PNW or CA........so I just assumed these were more logical choices for that reason. However, I am to the point where I just want to go where I have the best chance of landing a job, preferrably in prosecution, but really, just a freaking job, haha.



I will say this about Davis, irrespective to the increasing tuition, they are only have one other ABA school in the region for which they compete(T2/3 McGeorge.) McGeorge grads by and large do not hold a candle to Davis grads. Generally, in a normal economy, kids from higher or similarly ranked(to Davis) law schools were not flocking to Sacramento. I'm not sure if this is still the case. However, Sacramento doesn't quite have the QOL of say Portland or San Diego. IOW Sacramento is most likely not going to be a T14's third fourth or eight choice, IMO. I feel the same can be said for those seeking internships and employment coming out of USC and UCLA as well.

If you have no problem working in local government in the Sacramento area or the surrounding rural areas, Davis is a solid choice. I will say this, albeit anecdotally, that the majority of the lawyers in local government seem to hail from T2/3's, FWIW.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Bankhead » Tue May 25, 2010 12:28 am

I know someone transferred from IUB to UT last year (top 33%). I have no idea if he was a TX resident or not though.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 am

articulably suspect wrote:
A'nold wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
A'nold wrote:I would prefer to live in the PNW and will be applying to UW/Hastings/Davis/Irvine but UW is very hard to get into as a transfer and Hastings and Davis are out-of-this-world expensive w/ this whole tuition increase thing.

Don't transfer to Hastings or Davis A'nold.


See, this is what I'm really trying to figure out. Is this b/c of the CA market and tuition (two very good reasons to avoid these schools, I know)? It's just that our preferred market would be either the PNW or CA........so I just assumed these were more logical choices for that reason. However, I am to the point where I just want to go where I have the best chance of landing a job, preferrably in prosecution, but really, just a freaking job, haha.



I will say this about Davis, irrespective to the increasing tuition, they are only have one other ABA school in the region for which they compete(T2/3 McGeorge.) McGeorge grads by and large do not hold a candle to Davis grads. Generally, in a normal economy, kids from higher or similarly ranked(to Davis) law schools were not flocking to Sacramento. I'm not sure if this is still the case. However, Sacramento doesn't quite have the QOL of say Portland or San Diego. IOW Sacramento is most likely not going to be a T14's third fourth or eight choice, IMO. I feel the same can be said for those seeking internships and employment coming out of USC and UCLA as well.

If you have no problem working in local government in the Sacramento area or the surrounding rural areas, Davis is a solid choice. I will say this, albeit anecdotally, that the majority of the lawyers in local government seem to hail from T2/3's, FWIW.


Interesting. Davis would be ideal location-wise. I am just worried about CA's government prospects right now. Aren't they still doing furloughs/layoffs and not hiring any more gov. employees? Does this apply to prosecutors as well?

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby articulably suspect » Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 am

A'nold, considering your interest in the PNW, have you thought at all about applying to Oregon or L&C. I know they aren't up there in the rankings, but I would imagine Oregon does relatively well, especially if you're willing to forgo Portland for the samller or more rurlar locations.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 1:07 am

Thanks for the PM a'nold... Just sent you a freakin' book back.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 am

articulably suspect wrote:A'nold, considering your interest in the PNW, have you thought at all about applying to Oregon or L&C. I know they aren't up there in the rankings, but I would imagine Oregon does relatively well, especially if you're willing to forgo Portland for the samller or more rurlar locations.


Yeah, but my grades are too good (not a cocky thing) for those schools as my rank at my current school would better place into the PNW than transferring into U of O or L&C. Thanks for the thought though.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 am

romothesavior wrote:Thanks for the PM a'nold... Just sent you a freakin' book back.


Wohoo, as I'm bored and have nothing to do. Thanks. :)

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby articulably suspect » Tue May 25, 2010 1:49 am

A'nold:

Yes, some of that is going on, which you should, I assume you have, considered. However, the internships are just a prevalent as they once were, I believe. From what I’ve heard and common sense will prevail, those positions that cost the government no money would not be undercut. There’s no doubt about it, things haven’t bounced back in CA. Hiring is definitely not back to where it once was, but people are still getting hired and a Davis grad with a documented interest would most certainly be competitive. You have two years+ before a county will even accept your application at a DA's Office anyway.

I guess what I’m saying is...the intern/externships are still there and hopefully the hiring will be too, once you have passed the bar. In a normal economy, a Davis grad would not struggle finding government jobs in the Sacramento area.
Most of the local and state agencies allow you to intern during the semester and in the summer too, I’m sure you know this. Anyway, at this time, I do not consider Davis and Hastings to be in a similar boat, regarding government employment.

What are you doing this summer? My experience is that networking counts for a lot, I know, trite. There are things you can do that will make you stand out.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby A'nold » Tue May 25, 2010 2:02 am

articulably suspect wrote:A'nold:

Yes, some of that is going on, which you should, I assume you have, considered. However, the internships are just a prevalent as they once were, I believe. From what I’ve heard and common sense will prevail, those positions that cost the government no money would not be undercut. There’s no doubt about it, things haven’t bounced back in CA. Hiring is definitely not back to where it once was, but people are still getting hired and a Davis grad with a documented interest would most certainly be competitive. You have two years+ before a county will even accept your application at a DA's Office anyway.

I guess what I’m saying is...the intern/externships are still there and hopefully the hiring will be too, once you have passed the bar. In a normal economy, a Davis grad would not struggle finding government jobs in the Sacramento area.
Most of the local and state agencies allow you to intern during the semester and in the summer too, I’m sure you know this. Anyway, at this time, I do not consider Davis and Hastings to be in a similar boat, regarding government employment.

What are you doing this summer? My experience is that networking counts for a lot, I know, trite. There are things you can do that will make you stand out.


Well, my internship this summer is not at a DA's office but I will be joining any clinics that are crim law related as well as seeking internships at DA's offices at whatever school I transfer to, so, I think I should still be o.k. in that regard. I just wonder whether it would be worth the risk to try a mid level CA school when there may be other areas of the country where I would have a better chance of getting hired, then maybe later I can move back, unless I like the area or something.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Help A'nold think clearly.........

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 25, 2010 2:18 am

To put in, California seems to go the way the country does. Every recession seems to destroy us, every recovery seems to rebuild better than ever before. I have no real reason to believe this will be the case again, just seems to have been the pattern over the twenty years I've been around here.

A'nold has less time for any recovery to take effect, though.

Do transfers never get any money from schools? Is that a hard and fast rule?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.