Transferapps - lies or the truth? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
iheartlaw

Bronze

Transferapps - lies or the truth?

Post by iheartlaw » Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

When I look through transferapps and I see people who are top 10% at T4's getting in to T25 schools, and people in T3's getting in to T14 schools, it's making me really excited of the possibilities that I may have coming from a T2. So much so that I am almost questioning the legitimacy of the postings... I always felt like I needed to be in the top 5% of my class to get in to a T20. But from reading the site, it almost seems like I may have a legitimate shot even if I am in the top 10%. Are these statistics and numbers getting anyone else excited or are they misleading? I mean granted, everything rests on how I did spring semester, but if I can do as well as I did in fall, I'm getting excited just thinking about how CLS, NYU, and Boalt are possibilities.

Mox

New

Re: Transferapps - lies or the truth?

Post by Mox » Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 pm

The transfer process is so unpredictable that it is very plausible that a TTTT or a TTT student in the top 10% could make it into the top 25. A lot of it depends on how many seats are available in the 2L class, the credentials of the other students applying, and how "transfer freindly" the school is.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Fri May 21, 2010 4:53 pm

I think that some schools take more kids from certain other schools, i.e. NYU/CLS seem to take the more of the top kids from the local lower tiered schools, or at least that is what I have heard. I could be wrong, it's happened before.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Actually, if you look at all the data compiled over the years, hundreds and hundreds of samples, you will see that it is extremely accurate, especially when compared with actual transfer students that post on all the law topic websites.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Sometimes crazy shit happens with transfers (i.e. top 20% at a T25 getting into Columbia). I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Fri May 21, 2010 7:12 pm

I have all kinds of questions about those databases. For example, do people really put on their resume that they were on academic scholarship at their T4? Not knocking it, just something I didn't think at all to do...same with law review invites, etc.

Reading that database is a mixed bag for me - on the one hand, it's fairly encouraging to read most of the T4 stats. On the other, if you look at those that specified my particular school, it's an absolute slaughter. I'm considering dropping an app at Berkeley after reviewing it again.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Does transferapps also list how many people attempted these transfers and were NOT successful? If that information isn't available, then take what you see with salt. It's akin to the way lawschoolpredictor is set up -- for example, my overall index was better than 56% of people who gained admission according to their database, which made me feel like I had a much better shot than I actually did, because it doesn't take into account rejected apps. So people who look like you might be getting into these places, but that doesn't tell you how many people look like you and did not get in.

(Apologies if I'm way out of my league here -- had the thought and figured I would post it in the hopes of being helpful, but please tell me to piss off if I'm simply being an uninformed 0L)

Edit -- meant to say "gained admission to a particular school according to..."
Last edited by clintonius on Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri May 21, 2010 7:33 pm

CMR wrote:I have all kinds of questions about those databases. For example, do people really put on their resume that they were on academic scholarship at their T4? Not knocking it, just something I didn't think at all to do...same with law review invites, etc.

Reading that database is a mixed bag for me - on the one hand, it's fairly encouraging to read most of the T4 stats. On the other, if you look at those that specified my particular school, it's an absolute slaughter. I'm considering dropping an app at Berkeley after reviewing it again.
What is the database of which you speak?

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Fri May 21, 2010 7:35 pm

clintonius wrote:Does transferapps also list how many people attempted these transfers and were NOT successful? If that information isn't available, then take what you see with salt. It's akin to the way lawschoolpredictor is set up -- for example, my overall index was better than 56% of people who gained admission according to their database, which made me feel like I had a much better shot than I actually did, because it doesn't take into account rejected apps. So people who look like you might be getting into these places, but that doesn't tell you how many people look like you and did not get in.

(Apologies if I'm way out of my league here -- had the thought and figured I would post it in the hopes of being helpful, but please tell me to piss off if I'm simply being an uninformed 0L)
The databases are largely incomplete, but it appears that most people fill it out when they're applying with the intent of returning later to fill in the accepted/rejection portion. Unless someone is obviously a lock (with, with a T3/T4 doesn't really happen unless they're applying at a T2) you're probably safe assuming that if the person didn't report being accepted, they were rejected.
Bert wrote:
CMR wrote:I have all kinds of questions about those databases. For example, do people really put on their resume that they were on academic scholarship at their T4? Not knocking it, just something I didn't think at all to do...same with law review invites, etc.

What is the database of which you speak?
2009. Truly horrible for my epic T4.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 am

Nope, you are wrong. People usually post where they are rejected. A quick look at the database would tell you this.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Sat May 22, 2010 10:09 am

A'nold wrote:Nope, you are wrong. People usually post where they are rejected. A quick look at the database would tell you this.
g
Well, of the first 40 entries in the 2009 database, less than half are fully complete; glancing at the rest of the entries, it appears that this is a fully representative, and even generous, sampling. A quick look at the database would tell you this ;). But I wasn't suggesting that it was useless, just that if a person doesn't report being accepted or rejected, obviously the more prudent move is to assume they were rejected.

bizen boat

New

Post by bizen boat » Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 am

I'd like to update my entry on transfer apps, but I can't figure out how to edit it. I've seen some people just create new entries instead of editing their old ones, sometimes making several new entries each time they get a new acceptance. Of course, with no clear way to delete an entry, the database looks like there are five people with identical stats, only each person is slightly more successful at getting accepted than the last.

Anyway, the point is that transfer apps is annoying to use, and presumably there are people who did get accepted but also couldn't figure out how to update their stats. I hate transfer apps.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Sat May 22, 2010 1:27 pm

I think it's somewhat valuable for people like me, as it gives some measure of hope, but for students already at T1 schools I think it can be deceptive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

CMR wrote:
A'nold wrote:Nope, you are wrong. People usually post where they are rejected. A quick look at the database would tell you this.
g
Well, of the first 40 entries in the 2009 database, less than half are fully complete; glancing at the rest of the entries, it appears that this is a fully representative, and even generous, sampling. A quick look at the database would tell you this ;). But I wasn't suggesting that it was useless, just that if a person doesn't report being accepted or rejected, obviously the more prudent move is to assume they were rejected.

Why don't you actually do as I suggested and look at different years genius. 2009 was an anomaly.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 pm

A'nold wrote:
CMR wrote:
g

Why don't you actually do as I suggested and look at different years genius. 2009 was an anomaly.
You're a real hit at parties, I bet.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Sat May 22, 2010 2:28 pm

I don't have much time to update this for this year's cycle because I am still studying for finals, but I think the standardized data entry and presentation is much better here:

--LinkRemoved--
Filter data at the top and enter data at the bottom. I modified the structure a bit so that it can be used for the 2010 cycle as well.

My goal was to have something like this replace the transferapps database. DabbleDB is good, but I couldn't figure out how to get things setup the way I wanted to, so I just left it like it is. They may have added new features in the last year that would make it easier to work with if someone is interested in picking this up.

I also created a separate database for notification methods and timing here:
--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”