nu law review or columbia transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tbo123123

New

nu law review or columbia transfer

Post by tbo123123 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:54 pm

feeling really confident about making lr at nu. if i do make it, is it worth it to go 2 columbia?

i dont have a fixation on NY, but want better job prspects overall.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Re: nu law review or columbia transfer

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat May 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to fully expect to get on law review at one of the best schools in America, and then transfer to really, really one of the top schools in America. Not unreasonable at all.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 15, 2010 9:00 pm

tbo123123 wrote:feeling really confident about making lr at nu. if i do make it, is it worth it to go 2 columbia?

i dont have a fixation on NY, but want better job prspects overall.
NU LR >> CLS no LR.

Unless you're looking for DC or NY (which is a big unless) I don't think it'll help even if you don't make LR at NU. You would do OCI at CLS before you had grades and ITE employers are treating transfers as if they were at their old school.

I think NU to YHS could be justified because of the name recognition factor down the line, but Harvard >>> Columbia in that regard.

Also LR here is a crapshoot. Lots of 3.9+ on secondary journal.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sat May 15, 2010 9:03 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:09 pm

rayiner wrote: Also LR here is a crapshoot. Lots of 3.9+ on secondary journal.
I'm interesting in at least attempting to unpack that a little.

LR = Top 26 students @ [.50*GPA + .40*Writing + .10*Edit] + Top 10 students @ [0.80*Writing + 0.20*Edit] after you filter out the top 26 students from the first category, from my understanding of how membership works.

GPA = deterministic
Edit score = deterministic (instructions explicitly focused on objective errors)
Writing score = arbitrary (creativity/argument strength) + deterministic (BB issues, format, organization, substantive accuracy @ precedent)

Even within the arbitrary part of writing, the instructions seemed to hint that they're not looking for a game-changer, just something interesting which can be legally argued within the circle of precedent. Even if the spread is tight around the median @ arbitrary component of the writing part, which it likely will be unless people *started* working on it on Wednesday or something bizarre, it benefits all people equally. In the end, GPA is the driving variable here. Median GPA @ LR was 3.8 according to a current editor of NW LR (grapevine), which makes relative given that 26 students chosen in criteria #1 probably have 3.7+ GPAs.

Additionally, a lot of people who scored in the bottom quartile in Fall 09 seem to have not participated in the competition (grapevine), also some people will transfer out of NW (like I might). I think if one had anything above a 3.6 (Fall 09) (top 33%), and feel like you can repeat that in the Spring, one should've treated LR as a totally achievable goal given the 50% weight to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”