Schools that allow transfers after 1 semester. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Re: Schools that allow transfers after 1 semester.

Post by A'nold » Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Chupavida wrote:There is more to job hunting than OCI. I would still rather be hunting for a job in south Florida with a Miami degree than in [saturated legal market] with some T3/T4 degree. Of course UF would be better, but that wasn't exactly the argument.
Actually, UF wouldn't be that much better either, unless you were from an out-of-state t3 or 4 and you just had to work in Florida no matter what.

You would be dumb to give up top 10% at Stetson (unless paying full price maybe) to go to UF as a transfer. I know top students at UF that stuggled mightily to find anything. I'm talking top 5% and LR. Transferring doesn't do crap for you unless you are dead set on a different region than your school, you can go for cheaper, or you greatly increase your post graduate employment chances, OR a combo of the above.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Thirteen wrote:If you want to work IN Miami and financial considerations ARE NOT a concern, transferring might not be a bad idea.
I would also add career goals. I mean, at my t3 there are opportunities for the top students to clerk for the feds or the state Supreme Court. If you want to clerk, better to keep LR and connections w/ professors, have good grades, etc. than to transfer to UM, even if Florida is your ultimate goal.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Chupavida wrote:There is more to job hunting than OCI. I would still rather be hunting for a job in south Florida with a Miami degree than in [saturated legal market] with some T3/T4 degree.
I guess, but FL is about as saturated as it gets with UF, FSU, Miami, Stetson, Nova, FL Coastal, FIU, FAMU, Barry, and St. Thomas, a whopping 10 schools.

Miami, Nova, FIU, and St. Thomas are all in south FL.

HTH

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 pm

A'nold wrote:
Chupavida wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Chupavida wrote:
BWAHAHAHA! This just goes to show that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Flip those around guy. You at least have SOME chance of getting a decent job coming from the top of your class at any t4 school in the country. The same cannot be said of someone giving up a high class rank to attend UM. You will have to struggle your butt off for any kind of job as a transfer into UM.
The point is that you'll have to struggle your butt off regardless. In reality, someone with the capacity to be in the top 5-10% of their class at a T3/T4 school will likely be able to do very well at their transfer school. If transferring meant automatically being at the bottom of your class or something, then sure, but I'd probably give up those "top 5% at a T3/T4 after my first year" job prospects for "a good shot at top 10% at Miami for years two and three" job prospects. If we're talking scholarship money at the T3/T4 than that obviously changes the equation.

Really, you're making the standard argument against transferring in general. At the end of the day, it's a gamble, and all anyone can do is weigh the pros/cons and evaluate where they will be better off in the long run.
No. You are uninformed. I know where you are coming from, but you do not understand the transfer process. It is not the same gamble as coming from a t3/4 to a top 17 or so school. Those schools vastly increase your future job prospects and pay dividends (in theory) for the rest of your career. Transferring to UM from, say, the University of South Carolina (unless it's Miami or bust) would be an awful idea if you have the grades to transfer.

The biggest flaw w/ your reasoning above is that it would be worth giving up top 5% at, once again, USC to go to UM even if you were guaranteed top 10% at UM. Transferring rapes you of a legitimate shot at 2L OCI. There have been posters on here claiming that they are at the top of their class at their new schools (mostly top 10 from the anecdotes I've heard) and they STILL either can't find a job or struck out completely at OCI or BARELY landed something. You are completely screwing yourself by starting over at UM if you could possibly tolerate to work in a different geographical area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu May 20, 2010 8:56 am

rad law wrote:
Chupavida wrote:There is more to job hunting than OCI. I would still rather be hunting for a job in south Florida with a Miami degree than in [saturated legal market] with some T3/T4 degree.
I guess, but FL is about as saturated as it gets with UF, FSU, Miami, Stetson, Nova, FL Coastal, FIU, FAMU, Barry, and St. Thomas, a whopping 10 schools.

HTH
A whopping 11 schools. We have Ave Maria now too.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am

Lawof_theLand wrote:
rad law wrote:

HTH
[strike]A whopping 11 schools. We have Ave Maria now too.[/[/strike]quote]

I refuse to count it, it's not really school more of a play school intending to rape people

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Sun May 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Apparently CLS accepts applications for spring semester transfers? I don't know how that would even work. The application is due Dec. 1st which seems like it would be before any 1L grades were available.

rajS

New

Post by rajS » Mon May 24, 2010 5:45 am

yea what a previous person asked here but no one answered..if you accept the transfer after 1 semester do you complete the second semester at your current school and finish the year? and u have to maintain the gpa?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 am

trialjunky wrote:
Lawof_theLand wrote:
rad law wrote:

HTH
[strike]A whopping 11 schools. We have Ave Maria now too.[/[/strike]quote]

I refuse to count it, it's not really school more of a play school intending to rape people
[/quote]+1. They make Cooley look like Harvard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”