Potential Disadvantages of Transferring

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
guggenheim

Potential Disadvantages of Transferring

Postby guggenheim » Sat May 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an applicant for the 2009-2010 cycle, and I haven't been admitted to the schools that I want to attend (top 20). Although I applied pretty late in the cycle (February-March), I've been able to gain admissions to a couple of T2 and T3 schools with sizable scholarship offers. At this point, I'm trying to determine whether to 1) attend one of these schools with the hope of transferring to a tier one school after my 1L year or 2) reapply in the fall and submit my applications as early as possible.

To help me make this decision, I've been trying to figure out what challenges transfer students can expect to or should be prepared to face. Specifically, I found this LSAC resource outlining some of the potential pitfalls/disadvantages to transferring after 1L year: http://www.lsac.org/applying/transferri ... chools.asp

I would love to know what everyone's thoughts on these issues are. I know every school has a different transfer policy so there's no clear protocol for addressing or ameliorating these potential trade-offs (e.g., not getting into a journal or a moot court team or being able to participate in OCI). But I wonder if there is a tried-and-true way to gauge the point at which the advantage of graduating from a better law school outweighs the consequences of missing out on journal/moot court/OCI participation? Or vice versa? Plus, are there some schools that are better/easier to transfer into and better/easier to transfer out of?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Potential Disadvantages of Transferring

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:23 pm

guggenheim wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm currently an applicant for the 2009-2010 cycle, and I haven't been admitted to the schools that I want to attend (top 20). Although I applied pretty late in the cycle (February-March), I've been able to gain admissions to a couple of T2 and T3 schools with sizable scholarship offers. At this point, I'm trying to determine whether to 1) attend one of these schools with the hope of transferring to a tier one school after my 1L year or 2) reapply in the fall and submit my applications as early as possible.

To help me make this decision, I've been trying to figure out what challenges transfer students can expect to or should be prepared to face. Specifically, I found this LSAC resource outlining some of the potential pitfalls/disadvantages to transferring after 1L year: http://www.lsac.org/applying/transferri ... chools.asp

I would love to know what everyone's thoughts on these issues are. I know every school has a different transfer policy so there's no clear protocol for addressing or ameliorating these potential trade-offs (e.g., not getting into a journal or a moot court team or being able to participate in OCI). But I wonder if there is a tried-and-true way to gauge the point at which the advantage of graduating from a better law school outweighs the consequences of missing out on journal/moot court/OCI participation? Or vice versa? Plus, are there some schools that are better/easier to transfer into and better/easier to transfer out of?

Seriously,
Why the duplicate posts? One is enough...

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:25 pm

The conventional wisdom, that I can almost guarantee 99% of people here will agree with, is don't go to a school that you wouldn't be happy graduating from. It is much easier to do better on the LSAT and get admitted to a school than it is to do well enough in law school to transfer to said school.

Reapply in the fall, if the LSAT held you back take it again and study like hell for it. Even though applying late might have hurt you this time around, I would be hesitant to apply again to the same schools without at least improving something about your application.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:27 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
guggenheim wrote:Hi everyone,

Seriously,
Why the duplicate posts? One is enough...

+1

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm currently an applicant for the 2009-2010 cycle

stopped reading here

can we PLEASE have a sticky addressing people applying to law school as a 0L and planning to transfer? i feel like every thread gets the same exact copy/paste response, then the OP makes the same response ignoring the advice and then we have the same argument and it ends the same way every time

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Agreed. Honestly, there should be a sticky just telling people not to respond to these. Thats the real problem.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:49 pm

stinger35 wrote:Agreed. Honestly, there should be a sticky just telling people not to respond to these. Thats the real problem.

Yeah, that'll work.

Return to “Transfers”