1L, 4.05 GPA, T30 School, looking to transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawbound1524

New

Re: 1L, 4.05 GPA, T30 School, looking to transfer

Post by lawbound1524 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Hahaha now I remember. HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:14 pm

apper123 wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:
apper123 wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:Harvard really turned me off recently when I emailed them a few questions about transferring, and I got back a copy-paste of the paragraph on transferring from their website, which didn't answer ANY of my questions. As if I couldn't read the website for myself. If ONLY I had thought to check ONLINE before I emailed my questions! Thanks Harvard! Maybe they were too busy to answer each email individually, but still....
Shoulda replied:

"Keep quoting VICKAS"

anyone? anyone?
I don't get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

I may have just downloaded Good Will Hunting and watched it. Possibly.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat May 01, 2010 1:39 pm

+1, great movie

cj30303

New

Post by cj30303 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:33 am

lawbound1524 wrote:Hello TLS, long-time lurker, first time poster here. Anyway, I am finishing up my first year at a T25-30 school, my first semester grades were all A's and A+'s, and I'm projecting to finish up with a 4.0+ GPA cumulative for my first year. I actually think I did better 2nd semester than first. I have two very good LORs lined up, one of which is from a prof who went to Yale Law (don't know if that helps). I am looking to transfer to any of HYS, can I get at least 1 of the 3? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
One of my friends from a t20-25 school with a 4.0+ gpa got accepted to both Y and H (last year) so i would think your chances are pretty good to at least one of them.

Also congrats on your great gpa, can you post your study strategy?

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:37 pm

cj30303 wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:Hello TLS, long-time lurker, first time poster here. Anyway, I am finishing up my first year at a T25-30 school, my first semester grades were all A's and A+'s, and I'm projecting to finish up with a 4.0+ GPA cumulative for my first year. I actually think I did better 2nd semester than first. I have two very good LORs lined up, one of which is from a prof who went to Yale Law (don't know if that helps). I am looking to transfer to any of HYS, can I get at least 1 of the 3? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
One of my friends from a t20-25 school with a 4.0+ gpa got accepted to both Y and H (last year) so i would think your chances are pretty good to at least one of them.

Also congrats on your great gpa, can you post your study strategy?
That's great to hear, I hope I'm as fortunate as your friend.

As for my studying, I can give you a general idea of what I did. It started on Day 1, I kept a fairly strict eating and exercise schedule, and I made sure to give myself 1 day of relaxation per week. On that day, I would go out to dinner, go see a movie, maybe go out for drinks at a bar, etc., and not kick my ass studying for that day. For the actual classwork, I worked very hard on outlines, asked a lot of questions outside of class, and probably most important, I did every practice/old test problems I could get my hands on. I really believe doing old exams helped me more than anything because I basically did every exam before I got there. I'm no brilliant legal scholar, I just worked very hard starting Day 1 (maybe even a little before) and kept my schedule consistent. Beyond that, I'd say find what works for you and stick to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Sun May 02, 2010 12:49 pm

lawbound1524 wrote:

Me too... which is not good...I should be studying for finals...

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:07 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:

Me too... which is not good...I should be studying for finals...
Just visualize yourself as Will Hunting, it's better than studying.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 pm

lawbound1524 wrote:
Notor wrote:If you are #1 or 2 in your class at a t30, why the need to transfer up? You should have your pick of quality jobs and clerkships, plus your school will probably up your scholly to retain your services.
I agree that it's a tough decision, that's why I'm only shooting for HYS. I am very much interested in BigLaw and politics in the future, and my current school is good, but not great, in those departments. Also, I have no scholarship, and won't get one next year, regardless of my grades. Fortunately money isn't an issue for me (very generous parents), so tuition isn't my major concern. The shallow side of me just loves the thought of having an HYS-name diploma on my wall, too.
Opportunities open to HYS kids (solely because they attend HYS) >>> opportunities available to number 1 at a T30. I wouldn't call attempting to transfer shallow - I'd call it a wise decision. I'd definitely do it in your place.

That said, I def. wouldn't give up old school for a spot at any T14.CCN might be debatable, but I highly doubt that MPBVCNDG would be worth it.

Harvard is your best shot. Also, I hear that Stanford is a tightly knit community so if you can get a LOR from an SLS prof, that would probably be to your advantage.

Best of luck to you.

Lawgirl77

New

Post by Lawgirl77 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Forget Harvard, go to Columbia, you have a 99% chance of getting in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Lawgirl77 wrote:Forget Harvard, go to Columbia, you have a 99% chance of getting in.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why should OP go to Columbia over Harvard? OP also has a 99% shot at transferring to pretty much any school outside the T14, doesn't mean s/he should go there.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Lawgirl77 wrote:Forget Harvard, go to Columbia, you have a 99% chance of getting in.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why should OP go to Columbia over Harvard? OP also has a 99% shot at transferring to pretty much any school outside the T14, doesn't mean s/he should go there.
Other-Denny, you wow me every time. :D

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 02, 2010 3:02 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but why should OP go to Columbia over Harvard?
S/he shouldn't.

If OP is interested, of course also apply to Columbia (I would were I in that same situation and looking to transfer). Just pick Harvard if you get into both of them. But for OP's stated goals... apply to YH and S (and maybe add one or two more if interested). Never hurts to find out what all of them would say.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Other-Denny, you wow me every time. :D
:oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:11 pm

I really don't have any interest in Columbia. Don't like NYC for school. Are my chances of getting into Harvard significantly less than Columbia?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun May 02, 2010 3:18 pm

I personally think that CLS would probably be worth it. Then again, if you're simply after a Biglaw job as opposed to prestigious Biglaw (particularly in NYC)/academia/uber prestigious PI, there's really no reason to go anywhere short of HYS.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 02, 2010 3:23 pm

lawbound1524 wrote:
I really don't have any interest in Columbia. Don't like NYC for school. Are my chances of getting into Harvard significantly less than Columbia?
Who knows? But your chances at Columbia, in any case, are better than they are at Harvard. So if I were you, I'd apply to both of them (along with Y and S). Then again, if you have no interest whatsoever in Columbia, don't waste your time, or theirs.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 pm

apper123 wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:I don't get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s
Great scene.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 pm

A: I know people who were in the top 5 students at Wisconsin this year who got shut out at OCI. Even just for biglaw, making the jump up might be worth it.

B: Assuming your grades stay where they are, I'd be surprised if you don't snag at least one of HYS. And I would say yeah, Harvard is the most likely, followed by Stanford, then Yale--I would be surprised if you get dinged at Harvard, and I think you have a reasonable shot at Yale.

C: You should probably apply to CCN. At least give yourself the option to bolt, if you decide to do so. You may not like New York, but because money doesn't factor in to your calculus, the opportunities out of CCN are notably better than those from your T30. The chances of ending up median at your new school are really, really miniscule, so that isn't a fair comparison (#1 at old school v. median at new school).

Congrats on your grades.

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:12 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:A: I know people who were in the top 5 students at Wisconsin this year who got shut out at OCI. Even just for biglaw, making the jump up might be worth it.

B: Assuming your grades stay where they are, I'd be surprised if you don't snag at least one of HYS. And I would say yeah, Harvard is the most likely, followed by Stanford, then Yale--I would be surprised if you get dinged at Harvard, and I think you have a reasonable shot at Yale.

C: You should probably apply to CCN. At least give yourself the option to bolt, if you decide to do so. You may not like New York, but because money doesn't factor in to your calculus, the opportunities out of CCN are notably better than those from your T30. The chances of ending up median at your new school are really, really miniscule, so that isn't a fair comparison (#1 at old school v. median at new school).

Congrats on your grades.

Can you explain this? I don't know what the ranking process is for new transfer students. If I somehow kept up good grades at the new school, why shouldn't I be able to get above median? Obviously the competition is much tougher, but I feel I can hold my own.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 pm

^^

I think he meant that it's unlikely you'll fall all the way to median. That's what I (currently #1 at my ex-t30 school) have been told.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed May 05, 2010 6:22 pm

lawbound1524 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:A: I know people who were in the top 5 students at Wisconsin this year who got shut out at OCI. Even just for biglaw, making the jump up might be worth it.

Congrats on your grades.

Can you explain this? I don't know what the ranking process is for new transfer students. If I somehow kept up good grades at the new school, why shouldn't I be able to get above median? Obviously the competition is much tougher, but I feel I can hold my own.
It's been observed that those who have a knack for the law and do well enough at their school to transfer up continue to do well at their new, higher ranked school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:36 pm

traydeuce wrote:^^

I think he meant that it's unlikely you'll fall all the way to median. That's what I (currently #1 at my ex-t30 school) have been told.
Oops. I thought he meant that getting all the way up to median (presumably starting off at "0") is incredibly difficult and therefore unlikely.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm

lawbound1524 wrote:

Oops. I thought he meant that getting all the way up to median (presumably starting off at "0") is incredibly difficult and therefore unlikely.
Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. I meant that it's very unlikely that you'll "fall" to median at the new school. Quite the contrary, most transfers end up doing really, really well at their new school, oftentimes ending up back toward the top of the class again.

(Proof that the LSAT = lolz)

lawbound1524

New

Post by lawbound1524 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:43 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:

Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. I meant that it's very unlikely that you'll "fall" to median at the new school. Quite the contrary, most transfers end up doing really, really well at their new school, oftentimes ending up back toward the top of the class again.

I hope you're right. Is any ranking possible for a transfer? Can you graduate top of your class even if you only went for two years?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 9:46 pm

lawbound1524 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
lawbound1524 wrote:

I hope you're right. Is any ranking possible for a transfer? Can you graduate top of your class even if you only went for two years?
Well, I don't think many T14s identify the valedictorian. Whether you can graduate with honors or not varies by school, but I think you can at HYSCCN. I know you can at Chicago anyway. FWIW, I know a transfer that has the highest current GPA in his class at his CCN.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”