Official Georgetown Transfer Class of 2012-13 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
apper123

Silver

Re: Official Georgetown Transfer Class of 2012-13

Post by apper123 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:14 am

newyorker69 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
newyorker69 wrote:Ok so I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person but heres my problem...

I just took exam #2 of 4 today and everything went well. However, exam #1 (contracts) did not go as well. The fact pattern was weird and I didnt understand it too well (this is the first time!). So I wrote up my answer as best I can. As I came out, I started talking to some other students (who similarly thought it was difficult), but I realized that I may have missed a lot of issues. I am so angry with myself because my lowest grade last semester was an "A" and I came out of EVERY exam last semester feeling pretty good.

So now I'm starting to freak out. What IF hypothetically I fail the exam? Does my GULC acceptance get revoked? Or is it even void because I may have to retake contracts? I just hope everyone else bombs it so I dont fail :(

I am so worried, I feel like my guaranteed T14 shot just went out the door. Please someone make me feel better.
Boy do I have the thread for you: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=116740
Ok, thread is very long and i have every intention of reading it all but prob not until after finals. please just save my sanity and tell me that this exact fear of mine DIDNT actually happen to someone else and please tell me i am just overreacting.
lol i had a feeling this would happen

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Fri May 07, 2010 7:21 am

As long as you didn't spend the entire time arguing why there is no privity between parties to the contract (or arguing the 13th amendment prohibits the freedom to contract), I bet you are fine.

Worst case scenario: you retake Contracts at GULC

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:04 am

newyorker69 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
newyorker69 wrote:Ok so I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person but heres my problem...

I just took exam #2 of 4 today and everything went well. However, exam #1 (contracts) did not go as well. The fact pattern was weird and I didnt understand it too well (this is the first time!). So I wrote up my answer as best I can. As I came out, I started talking to some other students (who similarly thought it was difficult), but I realized that I may have missed a lot of issues. I am so angry with myself because my lowest grade last semester was an "A" and I came out of EVERY exam last semester feeling pretty good.

So now I'm starting to freak out. What IF hypothetically I fail the exam? Does my GULC acceptance get revoked? Or is it even void because I may have to retake contracts? I just hope everyone else bombs it so I dont fail :(

I am so worried, I feel like my guaranteed T14 shot just went out the door. Please someone make me feel better.
Boy do I have the thread for you: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=116740
Ok, thread is very long and i have every intention of reading it all but prob not until after finals. please just save my sanity and tell me that this exact fear of mine DIDNT actually happen to someone else and please tell me i am just overreacting.
There are a dozen+ people in that thread bitching about how they did great first semester and now feel like they've lost the golden touch or whatever, plus some 2L/3Ls who reported feeling similarly then did as well or better second semester. Your are not alone, internet friend.

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 pm

dcpolitico wrote:As long as you didn't spend the entire time arguing why there is no privity between parties to the contract (or arguing the 13th amendment prohibits the freedom to contract), I bet you are fine.

Worst case scenario: you retake Contracts at GULC
disco_barred wrote:
There are a dozen+ people in that thread bitching about how they did great first semester and now feel like they've lost the golden touch or whatever, plus some 2L/3Ls who reported feeling similarly then did as well or better second semester. Your are not alone, internet friend.
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Ok everyone, I just got the email that transfer info has been uploaded to the admitted students website.

From what I can tell, they want $800 (second deposit) by June 1st. $1200 is a lot of money for us still waiting on other T14s!! sheesh :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:36 pm

$1200 is a lot, but I really like GULC and would only pass them up for very few schools that I probably won't get into. If I didn't deposit and then didn't get in anywhere, I'd probably never forgive myself.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

apper123 wrote:$1200 is a lot, but I really like GULC and would only pass them up for very few schools that I probably won't get into. If I didn't deposit and then didn't get in anywhere, I'd probably never forgive myself.
Damnit I agree with you, but ouch! $1200 is really gonna hurt if I have to throw it away....

....however if I throw it away it will only be because I got into one of my better target schools and that will have to dull the pain at least a little bit.

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm

apper123 wrote:$1200 is a lot, but I really like GULC and would only pass them up for very few schools that I probably won't get into. If I didn't deposit and then didn't get in anywhere, I'd probably never forgive myself.
Oh, I will DEFINITELY be paying my deposit. I would just hate to lose $1200 if I got into CLS or NYU. My dad is such a huge GULC fan (he went to Howard UGA in the early 70s) and he told me only to turn down GULC for CLS (ivy status). He doesnt like NYU for some reason (even though I told him where NYU ranks) and still wants me to go to GULC over NYU. :lol:

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
Damnit I agree with you, but ouch! $1200 is really gonna hurt if I have to throw it away....

....however if I throw it away it will only be because I got into one of my better target schools and that will have to dull the pain at least a little bit.
lol if i get into CN i won't care

edit - lol nice xpost

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zizou

New

Post by zizou » Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 pm

I just got my packet in the mail today, I guess I am joining the party a little late. People should look into living in Columbia Heights, it is a really nice area now (for the most part). When I went to undergrad in DC it seemed like everything on the green line should be avoided but its really different now.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Fri May 07, 2010 5:56 pm

zizou wrote:I just got my packet in the mail today, I guess I am joining the party a little late. People should look into living in Columbia Heights, it is a really nice area now (for the most part). When I went to undergrad in DC it seemed like everything on the green line should be avoided but its really different now.
I would never refer to Columbia Heights as a "really nice area.". It is still pretty rough, but getting better. I'd use the words tolerable or livable, not really nice.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Fri May 07, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm right in the middle of finals, and I don't have too much time to look at the new information posted. Most of us are probably in the same situation. Is there anything that I need to do immediately? Or can I wait to finnish finals? Furthermore, the only thing that I have done for financial aid is fill out a FAFSA for GULC. Are there any forms that I need to fill out immediately? Thanks!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Journeybound wrote:I'm right in the middle of finals, and I don't have too much time to look at the new information posted. Most of us are probably in the same situation. Is there anything that I need to do immediately? Or can I wait to finnish finals? Furthermore, the only thing that I have done for financial aid is fill out a FAFSA for GULC. Are there any forms that I need to fill out immediately? Thanks!
Only thing I saw at this point was a deposit of 800 due June 1. they have a timeline of other stuff but it's all way in the future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zizou

New

Post by zizou » Sat May 08, 2010 12:30 am

AmicusCuriae wrote:
zizou wrote:I just got my packet in the mail today, I guess I am joining the party a little late. People should look into living in Columbia Heights, it is a really nice area now (for the most part). When I went to undergrad in DC it seemed like everything on the green line should be avoided but its really different now.
I would never refer to Columbia Heights as a "really nice area.". It is still pretty rough, but getting better. I'd use the words tolerable or livable, not really nice.
Well then you either don't live (or have not lived in dc recently) or you are afraid of brown people.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sat May 08, 2010 1:26 am

That made me laugh. haha=p.

qaz57wsx

New

Post by qaz57wsx » Sat May 08, 2010 3:42 am

AmicusCuriae wrote:Congrats to all the EA transfers. I transferred into GULC almost 2 years ago (EA) and am about to graduate. Feel free to ask any questions, housing or otherwise. I'm also married and my wife had no problem finding a decent job here.

Did you apply early decision, if not do you remember the time table exactly? My worst fear is being accepted, and having to move from the NYC area to DC and get ready for OCI in a 3 weeks span.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Sat May 08, 2010 10:02 am

zizou wrote:
AmicusCuriae wrote:
Well then you either don't live (or have not lived in dc recently) or you are afraid of brown people.

I live in DC and I'm certainly not afraid of brown people. That said, my opinion of Columbia Heights stands. I go up there with some frequency to go to target or Pete's apizza, but it's not an area that i would want to live in. Crime rate is a decent bit higher than many other "nice" DC neighborhoods.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:07 am

ok pardon me for being ignorant but im not too sure exactly what OCI is (yes, yes, im an idiot). i basically refused to do ANYTHING this year but focus on grades and i totally put jobs/internships on the backburner. i just got the email about symplicity from GULC but im not sure exactly what to do.

can someone please give me an OCI for dummies and explain all this stuff to me :? :wink: :oops:

zuluwarriors

New

Post by zuluwarriors » Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 am

does anyone know if we're supposed to be doing anything with the info they sent at this point?

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Tue May 18, 2010 11:16 am

Yes, if anyone can share some info about the OCI at GULC, that would be great. Our school has about 20 firms come to OCI, so it is probably a lot different. Are we limited on how many firms we can bid for? Is there a strategy to get the most interviews? Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 pm

OCI at GULC is insane. There are usually a couple hundred firms that take over most of the hotel across the street from the school. You "bid" for interviews with firms using simplicity and ranking the firms 1-60. The career services office takes your bids and you get interviews based on how you ranked the firms, how popular the firms are, etc. If you focus solely on DC, you'll probably get 5-7 interviews. Focus solely on NY and you'll probably get 10-12. Spread them around geographically and you can easily net 15-20.

The CSO should make historical bidding statistics available, as well as access to the Vault guides go do research. It's really important to research the firms before you bid, in part to ensure you aren't wasting bids on firms you realistically have no shot at. The most selective are places like Williams and Conneley, and Covington and Burling in DC, and Cravath, Sullivan and Cromsell and Simpson Thatcher in NYC.

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:04 am

ok so what exactly is OCI? i believe it stands for on campus interviewing? is this for 3Ls to interview for jobs when they graduate? (i believe its really for 2Ls but intuitively it would make more sense to be for 3Ls). if it is for 2Ls then why are we interviewing for jobs when we only have one year complete? can someone please break OCI down for me in laymans terms?

when i say i have no idea, i really have noooo idea :oops:

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 am

edit: just checked my messages and got a PM with some info. anyone else have any info?

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Anyone who is in early and also applying to other schools sad about having to do the write on at gtown just in case?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”