Official Georgetown Transfer Class of 2012-13 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bkthunder

Bronze

Re: Official Georgetown Transfer Class of 2012-13

Post by bkthunder » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks swords, lotta good info in there

Sending in my deposit today 8)

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 am

Ok besides sending in our deposit, is there anything else we need to do at the moment?? I'm scared I'll miss a deadline because my finals run the next two weeks and I'll be too busy to do ANYTHING during that time.

I already updated my FAFSA to include GULC and requested that my official UG transcript be sent to GULC. I think I get worried b/c the admitted students' page appears to have deadlines/dates for incoming 1Ls.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 am

I'd recommend living on the red line if you can swing it. There's nothing close to GULC on orange, and transferring lines adds time, uncertainty, and 'oh my god how did they fit this many humans into metro center' into your commute. Which certainly isn't a deal breaker if you have an even slightly compelling reason to look in Virginia, but I'd start with Maryland 'burbs since it's all pretty much the same and simplifying your daily commute can pay psychic dividends.

I was talking to some friends from the area and we all agree that the yellow and green lines are elaborate and colorful hoaxes.

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 pm

FiNALLY got my acceptance package! PLEASURE to be joining you on this forum! :)

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 pm

JR00576 wrote:FiNALLY got my acceptance package! PLEASURE to be joining you on this forum! :)
Congrats!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Anyone know if GULC will revoke your offer if you do worse second semester like UChicago does? Has anyone ever heard of someone getting an offer revoked? I don't plan on bombing my exams, but was just wondering!!

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:11 pm

I have a quick question about GULC's LRAP. Will it apply if I am interested in working for an administrative agency, such as Homeland Security, after graduation? It seems like its definition of a "government job" is aimed towards public defender type jobs, but I'm not sure if it could qualify towards any job for the government. Does anyone know? Thanks!

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Most of my GULC friends live at 300 Mass. Ave. http://www.masscourtdc.com/

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 am

dcpolitico wrote:Most of my GULC friends live at 300 Mass. Ave. http://www.masscourtdc.com/
Jeeze, just checked out that place and it was EXPENSIVE! Does anyone know of any buildings within walking distance of GTown that you can stay at for under $1000 a month? Looks like living in D.C. is going to be at least 3 times more expensive than Lexington, VA!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 am

JR00576 wrote:
dcpolitico wrote:Most of my GULC friends live at 300 Mass. Ave. http://www.masscourtdc.com/
Jeeze, just checked out that place and it was EXPENSIVE! Does anyone know of any buildings within walking distance of GTown that you can stay at for under $1000 a month? Looks like living in D.C. is going to be at least 3 times more expensive than Lexington, VA!
As a general rule, the better advertised a place is the more expensive it will be. Likewise, the more people you live with the cheaper it will be. You'll have to troll craigslist and have roommates to get much under that. But keep in mind GULC is literally in the center of the nation's capitol, so housing prices in the city are going to be expensive. You can always live in a suburb and trade monthly rent for convenient.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:25 pm

JR00576 wrote:
Mass Court is expensive, but it's pretty representative of prices in the area. Check out 425 Mass, CityVista, Senate Square, meridian at gallery place, etc. Those are all buildings that are within walking distance.

facelessman

New

Post by facelessman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am

Anyone accepted to part-time, or is it just full-timers here?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:31 am

I don't want to hijack the thread, but as someone who got deferred that plans on applying to several other schools in the summer, I was hoping for just a little advice. Since you all obviously did everything right to get accepted, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or examples about their personal statements. I think that I had the grades (#1 at a T2) and having read some of my LOR's feel they were good too. Softs were also decent.

Anyways, I just have no clue really what to talk about in my PS and one of my Recommenders straight up told me he didn't like it. I just want to make sure I can change it in regards to other schools so I can hopefully achieve what you all have. Thanks a lot and feel free to PM me if you don't want it out there. Honestly, I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, or simply what you guys did. Again, sorry for hijacking the thread - feel free to ignore.

Edit: i am NOT trying/going to steal anyones statement or anything, just tryin to get an idea what these adcoms like to hear
Last edited by stinger35 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 am

stinger35 wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, but as someone who got deferred that plans on applying to several other schools in the summer, I was hoping for just a little advice. Since you all obviously did everything right to get accepted, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or examples about their personal statements. I think that I had the grades (#1 at a T2) and having read some of my LOR's feel they were good too. Softs were also decent.

Anyways, I just have no clue really what to talk about in my PS and one of my Recommenders straight up told me he didn't like it. I just want to make sure I can change it in regards to other schools so I can hopefully achieve what you all have. Thanks a lot and feel free to PM me if you don't want it out there. Honestly, I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, or simply what you guys did. Again, sorry for hijacking the thread - feel free to ignore.
PM it to me and I can look at it after finals. I have done a lot of PS editing over the past couple years, and I feel like it was the strongest part of my application outside of grades.

sigmachiev

New

Post by sigmachiev » Mon May 03, 2010 2:25 pm

stinger35 wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, but as someone who got deferred that plans on applying to several other schools in the summer, I was hoping for just a little advice. Since you all obviously did everything right to get accepted, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or examples about their personal statements. I think that I had the grades (#1 at a T2) and having read some of my LOR's feel they were good too. Softs were also decent.

Edit: i am NOT trying/going to steal anyones statement or anything, just tryin to get an idea what these adcoms like to hear
I'm pretty convinced I got in because I have a firm job this summer and a lot of softs. But as far as personal statements go I talked about some prior work experience and how it shaped what I want to do with my legal career, and then how Georgetown will help me reach that goal. Half was spent on my history and how I've developed some cool skills that'll make me great at a niche area of the law, and half was spent on "why georgetown." For the why part I was just honest with them on what programs and professors I wanted to use, why DC could be a great place for me career-wise, and told them it was a longstanding dream to go the school (I applied two years ago and got dinged.

Also if you have something relevant to say, do an optional diversity statement, which I also did talking about upbringing, ethnicity, socio-econ background and very relevant work experience to the diversity question.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

JR00576 wrote:
Happy belated Shabbat, brother :D

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 pm

traydeuce wrote:
JR00576 wrote:
You too! BTW, are you doing the write-on? I am not!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 pm

JR00576 wrote:
traydeuce wrote:
JR00576 wrote:
You too! BTW, are you doing the write-on? I am not!
Um... if this were the only place I thought I was getting in, I just might. I really liked W&L. But I kind of assume I'll make it to Chicago at least, so no.

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:08 am

Some more financial aid questions...

What effect will "parental income" have?

I'm in my late 20s, paid for UGrad by myself. Parents are upper middle class, but paying for school was never really in the equation. Haven't received any money from them since I graduated high school...back around 2000. I have almost 0 debt, but the $ I saved from working for a few years before law school is dwindling fast (I used the bulk of it to pay/live off for the first year of law school).

I was hoping that I would be able to take out 20K a year in Stafford loans and then supplement the rest with GradPlus, but are my parent's income going to throw a wrench into that plan? Does anyone else find this dumb? I called GULC today and they said it wouldn't matter if I was 40 and married, they still want that information.

Thanks

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue May 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Journeybound wrote:Newyorker, I'm in the same situation about bringing my wife with me. We really want a two bedroom that allows small dogs. So within DC is probably out. I can't afford 2-3k per month! Anyways, lets keep each other apprised about our findings. I haven't seriously started looking yet, but I'll begin after finals.

Also, for those of us who are married, can we ask for more financial aid money? Or is it capped out at the budget they give for single students?

Windsor at Arbors in Alexandria. Some friends rented a two bedroom for about $1100/month. Other than that, Silver Spring, Rockville, Arlington. The Atlas District of DC is reasonable, near Gallaudet, but it's hard to find a good neighborhood. It has pockets of good and bad mixed in. One street will be okay, another won't be so okay. I lived on a street that was half and half, but I was fine. It's also right near Union Station, which I'm told is near GULC. You can walk there if you want. The apartments and houses near AU are surprisingly affordable, provided that you know where to go. Tenleytown landlords can be ridiculous in their dealings, so be careful with who you talk to, but the Metro (New York Ave.) is right on M St. . All of the places someone mentioned before are in the $1500+ range, especially those near Gallery Place. You won't have much luck there. And what about sharing, getting a studio? I found an unfurnished studio for $1000/ month plus utilities on Craigslist when I moved to DC, and ended up spending $700/month on a two bedroom shared with a fellow UG alum with all utilities paid.

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Thu May 06, 2010 4:33 am

This may be real paranoid - but my GPA might drop a bit this semester. Do admissions get revoked?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:38 am

johndoe wrote:This may be real paranoid - but my GPA might drop a bit this semester. Do admissions get revoked?
No, I don't think so. This isn't explicitly stated or even alluded to anywhere. Contrast to Chicago where they hammer that point home pretty clearly. I think one big draw of GULC EA is that they don't get revoked.

I think esp since you send in a non-refundable tuition deposit they won't revoke either. The website also says: "Second semester grades are not required to apply under Early Action."

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Ok so I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person but heres my problem...

I just took exam #2 of 4 today and everything went well. However, exam #1 (contracts) did not go as well. The fact pattern was weird and I didnt understand it too well (this is the first time!). So I wrote up my answer as best I can. As I came out, I started talking to some other students (who similarly thought it was difficult), but I realized that I may have missed a lot of issues. I am so angry with myself because my lowest grade last semester was an "A" and I came out of EVERY exam last semester feeling pretty good.

So now I'm starting to freak out. What IF hypothetically I fail the exam? Does my GULC acceptance get revoked? Or is it even void because I may have to retake contracts? I just hope everyone else bombs it so I dont fail :(

I am so worried, I feel like my guaranteed T14 shot just went out the door. Please someone make me feel better.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm

newyorker69 wrote:Ok so I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person but heres my problem...

I just took exam #2 of 4 today and everything went well. However, exam #1 (contracts) did not go as well. The fact pattern was weird and I didnt understand it too well (this is the first time!). So I wrote up my answer as best I can. As I came out, I started talking to some other students (who similarly thought it was difficult), but I realized that I may have missed a lot of issues. I am so angry with myself because my lowest grade last semester was an "A" and I came out of EVERY exam last semester feeling pretty good.

So now I'm starting to freak out. What IF hypothetically I fail the exam? Does my GULC acceptance get revoked? Or is it even void because I may have to retake contracts? I just hope everyone else bombs it so I dont fail :(

I am so worried, I feel like my guaranteed T14 shot just went out the door. Please someone make me feel better.
Boy do I have the thread for you: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=116740

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:13 am

disco_barred wrote:
newyorker69 wrote:Ok so I hate to sound like a crazy paranoid person but heres my problem...

Boy do I have the thread for you: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=116740
Ok, thread is very long and i have every intention of reading it all but prob not until after finals. please just save my sanity and tell me that this exact fear of mine DIDNT actually happen to someone else and please tell me i am just overreacting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”