. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sflawgirl

New

Post by sflawgirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:46 pm

Last edited by sflawgirl on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Transfer from T2 to a T2

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 pm

This sounds like an utterly terrible idea.

The reason people go through the trouble of transferring is the benefits it gives them in prestige and connections. It's a trade-off, because transferring means you're giving up all the connections you've built up at your old school, including getting to know professors and getting to join student organizations or secondary journals before your first year is over. You leave all that behind when you transfer, and transfers have to compete for limited spots on journals at many places.

You're talking about getting all of the negatives of transferring after 1L without any real benefits, since you're not discussing a movement up to another tier. If you want to go to Loyola, then just go to Loyola.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 pm

vanwinkle wrote:This sounds like an utterly terrible idea.

[strike]The reason people go through the trouble of transferring is the benefits it gives them in prestige and connections. It's a trade-off, because transferring means you're giving up all the connections you've built up at your old school, including getting to know professors and getting to join student organizations or secondary journals before your first year is over. You leave all that behind when you transfer, and transfers have to compete for limited spots on journals at many places.

You're talking about getting all of the negatives of transferring after 1L without any real benefits, since you're not discussing a movement up to another tier. If you want to go to Loyola, then just go to Loyola[/strike].
No explanation is necessary.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 pm

I've seen this thread sitting here like 10 times and I refrained from commenting b/c I couldn't actually phrase just how weird it is and why it is so weird. Vanwinkle's response = TITCR.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:38 pm

I don't think it's always a terrible idea.
I have a friend who went to my school (T2) for 1L and then transferred to a similarly ranked T2 in his home state for 2L, and is saving alot of $$$ because he gets in state tuition.
I'm not exactly sure why he went to my school to begin with because the admission factors seem comparable...but anyhow, he transferred and seems quite happy.
OP...his 1L grades were median at best....I think they were actually below median but he still managed to transfer. He's doing alot better at the new school, and I guess he doesn't have his 1L grades dragging his gpa down.
So for some people this can be the right choice.
That said....I would suggest going to Loyola if that's where you want to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 pm

reverendt wrote:I don't think it's always a terrible idea.
I have a friend who went to my school (T2) for 1L and then transferred to a similarly ranked T2 in his home state for 2L, and is saving alot of $$$ because he gets in state tuition.
I'm not exactly sure why he went to my school to begin with because the admission factors seem comparable...but anyhow, he transferred and seems quite happy.
OP...his 1L grades were median at best....I think they were actually below median but he still managed to transfer. He's doing alot better at the new school, and I guess he doesn't have his 1L grades dragging his gpa down.
So for some people this can be the right choice.
That said....I would suggest going to Loyola if that's where you want to be.
Yeah, transferring for in-state tuition if you don't do well at another t2 can definitely make sense. I don't get this one though.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 pm

A'nold wrote: Yeah, transferring for in-state tuition if you don't do well at another t2 can definitely make sense. I don't get this one though.
who wouldn't want to live in downtown la?

sflawgirl

New

Post by sflawgirl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Last edited by sflawgirl on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 am

I'll take this opportunity to offer the standardized advice for [strike]stupid[/strike] threads like these (where 0Ls ask what class rank would be necessary to transfer from school X to school Y): Don't, under any circumstances, go to a school planning on transferring up, down, sideways, whatever. There are probably, literally, 100+ things which could legitimately go wrong preventing you from doing so.

Truly national law schools notwithstanding-

Don't go to a school that's not in your target market solely because it's cheaper.
Don't go to a school that's not in your target market because it would be cool to 'live someplace different for a few years and then move back and get a job.'
Don't go to a school that's not in your target market because it's ranked higher than the highest-ranked law school in your market.
(There are more, but you get the drift...)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 am

patrickd139 wrote:Truly national law schools notwithstanding-

Don't go to a school that's not in your target market solely because it's cheaper.
Don't go to a school that's not in your target market because it would be cool to 'live someplace different for a few years and then move back and get a job.'
Don't go to a school that's not in your target market because it's ranked higher than the highest-ranked law school in your market.
(There are more, but you get the drift...)
Perhaps this should all be posted on the TLS home page. It would save a lot of people a lot of time and bandwidth.

sflawgirl

New

Post by sflawgirl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am

Last edited by sflawgirl on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:39 am

Stupid idea. The second post in the thread was really all that needed to be said. But I just wanted to chime in and make fun of you. Loyola should not be anyone's dream school.

sflawgirl

New

Post by sflawgirl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 am

Last edited by sflawgirl on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Do it. Actually, I take that back. Fuck Loyola LA, You should plan on transferring to Stanford! You might want to rent an apartment in palo alto early in your first semester though because you want to make sure you end up with a good pad to live in your second year. Ensure you take out all the money your school allows you too because you need to plan on transferring and that move will cost you some money. Don't really worry about the debt either, because as a Stanford graduate you can plan on working at a job that pays $160K /year.

sflawgirl

New

Post by sflawgirl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 pm

patrickd139

Gold

Re: .

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm

sflawgirl wrote:.
You're no fun.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Re: .