Tier 3 to Tier 1 Transfers?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hopefultransfers

Tier 3 to Tier 1 Transfers?

Postby hopefultransfers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:06 am

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post in any way. I made this user name specifically to post this question with a high level of anonymity, as I didn't want to put any fellow classmates who I know read this board in an awkward position.

My significant other and I go to a Tier 3 school. We've both placed in the top 5-7% of our class as 1Ls, have some great softs for first years, and have some questions regarding transferring. To answer any "why do you go to a TTT to begin with?" questions: my significant other scored in the 150s on their LSAT due to some personal circumstances, and without being able to retake, we sucked it up and decided to settle on a school in an area we like. However, if able, we'd like to move up. On to the questions...

1) We want to stay together. What's the best way of going about this in our applications? Should we contact the school directly and ask to speak with admissions? If so, any suggestions on PC ways of saying we won't go without the other?

2) Is it a long shot for us to both be accepted to the same school, anyway, the higher up we go? Not sure how diverse schools want their transfer classes to be, and if they'll want to take 2 students from the same school in some random state. (Assuming we apply to out of state schools from where we are now.)

3) How high should we apply, and where do we have a good shot as top 10% from a TTT? Open to locations.

Thanks for any suggestions, will check back frequently.

XM3045

Re: Tier 3 to Tier 1 Transfers?

Postby XM3045 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 am

This is just an idea, but what about trying to pick an area that has a couple law schools near it? Just off the top of my head, you may be limited to NYC and DC. But DC has a range of schools from T1s (Gtown and GW) down to Mid to lower T2s (American and Mason). To be honest I don't know that much about the NYC schools, but I would imagine there is a similar range of schools.

I would think that top 10% would have a good shot at Mason, American and maybe GW. If you can move up into the top 5% or higher Gtown might be an option.

Aside from that line of thinking, I think that TTT students are going to have their best shot at "local" T1 schools. Look at whatever T1s are nearby and have heard of your school, probably taken students as transfers from that school and go and talk with them.

Good luck!

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Hey XM, thanks for the response.

Without giving too much away, although this surely does, we're fairly isolated. As in...-the- only law school in the state. There are some bigger cities nearby (2 hours) in neighboring states, but that's about it.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm

This is not me, FYI. :)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Boston area law schools are your best option, in my opinion. BU, BC & Northeastern.

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 pm

A'nold wrote:This is not me, FYI. :)

Indeed, it is not. Situation twins?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Boston area law schools are your best option, in my opinion. BU, BC & Northeastern.

It would be doomb to transfer to Northeastern IMO when you are both top 10% at a t3. You should probs shoot t30 at the least or make it a no-go.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:52 pm

hopefultransfers wrote:

I am at a t3 where it is the only school in the state......aren't there only like 6 of them? I'm always talking about transferring and I have a wife (although she is not going to ls).

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:57 pm

A'nold wrote:
hopefultransfers wrote:

I am at a t3 where it is the only school in the state......aren't there only like 6 of them? I'm always talking about transferring and I have a wife (although she is not going to ls).

8, I think?

And I was thinking something similar to your previous comment, but we're a bit worried in regards to our location and how much emphasis the higher ranked schools will place on proximity.

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:40 pm

*Bump*...Anyone else?

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm

to be honest, no idea for #1, and #2

for #3, maybe Arrow's awesome transfer thread may help? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sjk

Postby sjk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:09 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:to be honest, no idea for #1, and #2

for #3, maybe Arrow's awesome transfer thread may help? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

+1
As a friend of arrow, we've talked about this strategy together, I did nearly everything he did, as did over 1/2 of the transfers in our current class.

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

What about transferring into PT programs? We wouldn't mind spending a semester or year as PT students if it meant that, in the long run, we'd be better off. Thinking Georgetown and Fordham?

Colton

Postby Colton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

A'nold wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Boston area law schools are your best option, in my opinion. BU, BC & Northeastern.

It would be doomb to transfer to Northeastern IMO when you are both top 10% at a t3. You should probs shoot t30 at the least or make it a no-go.

I think this is very sound advice. Unless you are trying to gain access to a specific market that a school outside of the top 30 would put you in, you will derive no advantage by transferring there and losing your gpa v. staying where you are and keeping that very high and respectable gpa and class rank.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 am

Colton wrote:
A'nold wrote:

I think this is very sound advice. Unless you are trying to gain access to a specific market that a school outside of the top 14 would put you in, you will derive no advantage by transferring there and losing your gpa v. staying where you are and keeping that very high and respectable gpa and class rank.

FTFY.

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Colton wrote:
A'nold wrote:

I think this is very sound advice. Unless you are trying to gain access to a specific market that a school outside of the top 14 would put you in, you will derive no advantage by transferring there and losing your gpa v. staying where you are and keeping that very high and respectable gpa and class rank.

FTFY.

I don't know about that. Think it's very possible we'd make more cash with degrees from BU, BC, Minnesota, Iowa, Georgia... Shit. Probably Tulane, Ohio, W&L, etc., too.

However, if you can provide some solid reasons as to why that's wrong, I'd be interested to hear it and appreciate the help.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 am

hopefultransfers wrote:I don't know about that. Think it's very possible we'd make more cash with degrees from BU, BC, Minnesota, Iowa, Georgia... Shit. Probably Tulane, Ohio, W&L, etc., too.

However, if you can provide some solid reasons as to why that's wrong, I'd be interested to hear it and appreciate the help.

Your post implied that a t30 school was national (at least I thought it did), but a t30 would only gain you access to a specific market as well (meaning it really wouldn’t make sense to transfer to that t30 unless you wanted access to that market). I don’t doubt that a t30 might give you better employment options though.

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 am

\
XxSpyKEx wrote:
hopefultransfers wrote:I don't know about that. Think it's very possible we'd make more cash with degrees from BU, BC, Minnesota, Iowa, Georgia... Shit. Probably Tulane, Ohio, W&L, etc., too.

Your post implied that a t30 school was national (at least I thought it did), but a t30 would only gain you access to a specific market as well (meaning it really wouldn’t make sense to transfer to that t30 unless you wanted access to that market). I don’t doubt that a t30 might give you better employment options though.

Wasn't my post. I'm the OP, questioning your response to another poster's suggestion, although I understand the confusion. Thanks for the responses.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

I think a more interesting topic would be Tier 1 to Tier 3 transfers. That'd get some raised eyebrows.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 am

Clarification is needed by what the OP means when writing that the two want to stay together. I interpreted that as meaning living together in the same city, but not necessarily studying at the same law school, thus I suggested Boston since one partner might be admitted to BC, BU, Harvard while the other might only have a lower tier option of Northeastern, Suffolk, etc.
Just reread the original post & see that it is clear that they both wish to study at the same law school which still makes Boston a great option due to BC & BU.

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:13 pm

scionb4 wrote:I think a more interesting topic would be Tier 1 to Tier 3 transfers. That'd get some raised eyebrows.

Yeah, probably. Luckily, that has no relevance to our situation and therefore belongs in another thread. :D

hopefultransfers

Postby hopefultransfers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Clarification is needed by what the OP means when writing that the two want to stay together. I interpreted that as meaning living together in the same city, but not necessarily studying at the same law school, thus I suggested Boston since one partner might be admitted to BC, BU, Harvard while the other might only have a lower tier option of Northeastern, Suffolk, etc.
Just reread the original post & see that it is clear that they both wish to study at the same law school which still makes Boston a great option due to BC & BU.

Yeah, didn't think it needed much clarification. All one has to do is read past the first few words and it should be pretty clear.

We'd like to be at the same school, but are willing to go to different schools in the same city. Boston is a great recommendation and one we will be pursuing, hopefully among others.

Return to “Transfers”