Columbia app

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Columbia app

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:56 am

This is a dumb question but I'd rather look dumb on here than on my app...

In the instructions for the PS it reads:

"...This statement should be printed on a supplementary sheet or two and should be returned to the Law School...."

Nowhere else is a mention of the length requirement. So, two pages max?

newyorker69
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby newyorker69 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:53 am

thats what i was guessing. also, can you do multiple optional essays or just one?

newyorker69
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby newyorker69 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm

The instructions say that "Applicants must submit a personal statement in response to Question 10." However, question 10 on the application is the optional "brief supplemental statements" while question 9 has info on a required essay? Is this a typo?

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Columbia app

Postby engineer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm not even looking at the application until after finals.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Hijack time. :) I know some of you are t3 or t4'ers applying from NY schools and that Columbia takes a few top students from each of those schools, but what about other t3 students from around the country? I know Chicago rarely ever takes below t1, let alone t2, but what about Columbia/NYU? I've basically eliminated them b/c I feel like there is no possible way. Anyone know anything about how t3 and lower peeps do when they are not NY schools?

newyorker69
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby newyorker69 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:37 pm

A'nold: Best bet is to ask upper classmen at your school where the top of the class has been successful in transferring into. That would give you the best idea on how well students from your school fare in terms of transferring to the T10 or even T14.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Columbia app

Postby engineer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Hijack time again: I don't even know why I'm bothering. I have no hope. I didn't put in enough effort last semester, and this semester I'm trailing behind. I'm just a burnt out engineer with too much on my plate, and I'm dying to be elsewhere. It's no use, I suck :cry:

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 pm

engineer wrote:Hijack time again: I don't even know why I'm bothering. I have no hope. I didn't put in enough effort last semester, and this semester I'm trailing behind. I'm just a burnt out engineer with too much on my plate, and I'm dying to be elsewhere. It's no use, I suck :cry:


Yo, engineer, you can do it man. You've been killing it this semester and you will kill exams!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 pm

newyorker69 wrote:A'nold: Best bet is to ask upper classmen at your school where the top of the class has been successful in transferring into. That would give you the best idea on how well students from your school fare in terms of transferring to the T10 or even T14.


LOL, not at your post, which would be great usually, but at my school specifically. The only students that ever transfer out here go to the University of Utah or BYU, and that is like 3 students per year. I actually think that most admissions offices are going to double take and triple take when they see what school I'm trying to transfer from. :lol: I might be one of the only students in history here to ever try for a t14.

newyorker69
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby newyorker69 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 am

A'nold wrote:
newyorker69 wrote:A'nold: Best bet is to ask upper classmen at your school where the top of the class has been successful in transferring into. That would give you the best idea on how well students from your school fare in terms of transferring to the T10 or even T14.


LOL, not at your post, which would be great usually, but at my school specifically. The only students that ever transfer out here go to the University of Utah or BYU, and that is like 3 students per year. I actually think that most admissions offices are going to double take and triple take when they see what school I'm trying to transfer from. :lol: I might be one of the only students in history here to ever try for a t14.


A'nold: sent you a PM

cafpep
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby cafpep » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 pm

CLS takes top kids from T4 schools.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:09 pm

cafpep wrote:CLS takes top kids from T4 schools.

But not t3? :wink:

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Columbia app

Postby engineer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:13 pm

It'd be nice if they took me, just sayin'

I guess I'll be one of the only people without stellar grades who tries to write onto the law review. It'll be a nice case study to see if there's even a chance regarding the veracity of my suspicion that writing on to their law review is a de facto acceptance. Yes, I'm cocky enough to think I have a chance.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby traydeuce » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 am

^^

I wanted to do their writeon but I'm probably doing Harvard's that week instead. Given that I'm almost guaranteed of finishing up at the top 5% here at my ex-t30 school, that seems to me like the smarter move... of course if I don't get into Harvard I'll have blown my chance at Columbia, but Chicago's write-on is in June, I believe, so I could see how that went and go there if I made that. Um, on a kind of unrelated topic, when is one supposed to apply? LSAC hasn't even issued me a transcript request form yet (I just asked today), so do I apply without grades right away and wait for them to come in to LSAC, or... I mean, that's stupid, right?

cafpep
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby cafpep » Sat May 01, 2010 10:49 pm

engineer wrote:It'd be nice if they took me, just sayin'

I guess I'll be one of the only people without stellar grades who tries to write onto the law review. It'll be a nice case study to see if there's even a chance regarding the veracity of my suspicion that writing on to their law review is a de facto acceptance. Yes, I'm cocky enough to think I have a chance.


I know someone who wrote onto the Harvard Law Review but didn't get accepted. Writing on successfully is definitely not a de facto acceptance.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Columbia app

Postby apper123 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:53 pm

cafpep wrote:
engineer wrote:It'd be nice if they took me, just sayin'

I guess I'll be one of the only people without stellar grades who tries to write onto the law review. It'll be a nice case study to see if there's even a chance regarding the veracity of my suspicion that writing on to their law review is a de facto acceptance. Yes, I'm cocky enough to think I have a chance.


I know someone who wrote onto the Harvard Law Review but didn't get accepted. Writing on successfully is definitely not a de facto acceptance.

Could you share that person's school and #s please?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Columbia app

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

apper123 wrote:Could you share that person's school and #s please?

+1

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Columbia app

Postby engineer » Sat May 01, 2010 11:08 pm

cafpep wrote:I know someone who wrote onto the Harvard Law Review but didn't get accepted. Writing on successfully is definitely not a de facto acceptance.


I'd happily wear that as a badge of honor...I mean, that in itself is résumé-quality.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.