what rank from emory would i need to get into top 10 or 15?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dudnaito

what rank from emory would i need to get into top 10 or 15?

Postby dudnaito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:31 am

i tried looking through transfer databases, but still have yet to find sufficient information. Thanks for any info.

patrickd139

Re: what rank from emory would i need to get into top 10 or 15?

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:38 am

Obligatory disclaimer: Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. If that's not Emory, don't go to Emory.

That said, transfer apps is the best available database for transferring. If it's not there, then educated guesses are the best you're going to get. Which brings me to...

My educated guess: ~top 5% for YHS (admittedly a crapshoot coming from any school, top 10-15% of your class for the T10, top 33% for T15.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Who transfers from Emory to t-15?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 pm

No way would he be able to get GULC, NU, Cornell, from top 33%. Maybe UCLA/Vandy.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 pm

chitown825 wrote:Who transfers from Emory to t-15?

i was thinking more of top 10, but was curious to know about t-15 though. Checking some very disjointed databases has led me to believe it would be considerably harder than i thought. Even from Emory getting into top 15 itself would take an absolute minimum of top 20%.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:02 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Obligatory disclaimer: Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. If that's not Emory, don't go to Emory.

That said, transfer apps is the best available database for transferring. If it's not there, then educated guesses are the best you're going to get. Which brings me to...

My educated guess: ~top 5% for YHS (admittedly a crapshoot coming from any school, top 10-15% of your class for the T10, top 33% for T15.

I would definitely be *happy* to graduate from Emory. Hell, its my alma mater. I would however also be lying if i said that my intention to join emory doesnt include my prospects for transferring. Seeing as how its my alma mater, i know my way around the place, so perhaps that would allow me to just be able to focus on my studies instead of what gym to join, where to eat, etc... getting in the way.

Either way, I would be content to graduate from Emory.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Top 3% plus law review for Yale or Stanford=my best guess. Top 5% for Harvard. Top 7% for Chicago, Columbia, NYU or Northwestern. Top 12% for Duke or Michigan or Virginia.
These are guesses as I don't know what else you bring to the table in terms of work experience, linguistic abilities or other accomplishments.
I do, however, think that transferring from Emory to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern or NYU is worthwhile if your career interests extend beyond the South.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:04 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Obligatory disclaimer: Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. If that's not Emory, don't go to Emory.

thanks, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by transfer apps? Do you mean that the info is right there on schools transfer apps?

Also, im using a japanese keyboard so the apostrophe is a bit difficult to put here....

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Top 3% plus law review for Yale or Stanford=my best guess. Top 5% for Harvard. Top 7% for Chicago, Columbia, NYU or Northwestern. Top 12% for Duke or Michigan or Virginia.
These are guesses as I don't know what else you bring to the table in terms of work experience, linguistic abilities or other accomplishments.
I do, however, think that transferring from Emory to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern or NYU is worthwhile if your career interests extend beyond the South.

3 years of work experience in the education and construction field (then again, dad owns the construction company so not sure how that would be viewed), no really huge accomplishments. Just the usual.

I speak about 4 languages. 2 absolutely fluent, 1 pretty good, the 4th is Japanese which im currently working on at a Japanese Language School near Nagoya... im halfway decent though. No troubles getting around.

I would definitely transfer even if i succeed in Emory with law review etc... if i can get into at least UVA. The rest i would certainly need to think about.

Lastly, this is all purely hypothetical. All the students in class are clearly going to be accomplished and intelligent people, so it would be arrogant of me to put up a huge *mission accomplished* poster, but i just wanted a rough idea of what exactly i would need to accomplish to actualize said plan.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Columbia & Northwestern might be good options for you if you finish in the top 10% due to your work experience, linguistic abilities & international exposure & outlook.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 pm

dudnaito wrote:thanks, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by transfer apps? Do you mean that the info is right there on schools transfer apps?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Hope you like charts.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 pm

If you are going to transfer, odds are you are already top 10-15%. Why would you want to give up law review and great grades from a T20 school for a 5-10 spot jump in the rankings and a loss of your law review/great grades?

FWIW, I'm going to WUSTL (similar ranking to Emory) and I would not even consider a transfer after 1L unless it was to Chicago, Harvard, Yale.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
dudnaito wrote:thanks, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by transfer apps? Do you mean that the info is right there on schools transfer apps?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Hope you like charts.

already checked it out, but it just doesnt give you any info per individual school.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you are going to transfer, odds are you are already top 10-15%. Why would you want to give up law review and great grades from a T20 school for a 5-10 spot jump in the rankings and a loss of your law review/great grades?

FWIW, I'm going to WUSTL (similar ranking to Emory) and I would not even consider a transfer after 1L unless it was to Chicago, Harvard, Yale.

i would hesitantly think about going to a top 15 but like i said, im actually aiming for a top 10, and well.... i have my reasons.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you are going to transfer, odds are you are already top 10-15%. Why would you want to give up law review and great grades from a T20 school for a 5-10 spot jump in the rankings and a loss of your law review/great grades?

Why i didn't transfer. And I like it here.

If you really want to get into academia then transfer.

A few people I know that would have been "guaranteed" Biglaw (NYC included) going through Emory OCI struck out at transfer OCI.

FWIW, I know two of their grades/ranks - ~10% MVP/~15-20% (one of the old T10's w/ UG & hometown ties)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:04 pm

dudnaito wrote:

i would hesitantly think about going to a top 15 but like i said, im actually aiming for a top 10, and well.... i have my reasons.

If you say so, dude. To transfer from top 10-20% from Emory to say, Northwestern or Duke, would be retarded, especially if you have any scholarship money from Emory. You'd be losing money to get equal or worse employment prospects (not to mention the stress of picking up and moving and starting fresh in a new city).

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudnaito

Postby dudnaito » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 pm

its pretty embarrassing. Suffice it to say it has something to do with my family. Ive read enough literature on the transferring process to know the risks that it contains, but ill certainly put more thought into it when im actually at the precipice of making a decision.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am

Return to “Transfers”