Transfer to T6 from 10-14

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Would top 20% from the lower end of the T14 give a decent shot at HYS? Boalt?

Any insight or personal experiences would be great.

Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:29 am

:?:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:34 am

Boalt is 10-14

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby calicocat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ibKronk

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby booboo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 pm

JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.


Lol.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby underachiever » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:Would top 20% from the lower end of the T14 give a decent shot at HYS? Boalt?

Any insight or personal experiences would be great.


I would say in at Boalt (with a legitimate reason)....out at Stanford and Yale, and possibility at H (if from MVP it is a better chance)

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby calicocat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:04 pm

JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.

ITT: dumbs

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:05 pm

JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.


Look out Osmium, I've found the new densest element and its name is JPU!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 pm

JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.


I don't care what a failing magazine says. I care about job placement, and Boalt's is no better than Duke's.

Also 1/4 of its students have under a 164? WTF?

Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:46 pm

underachiever wrote:
Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:Would top 20% from the lower end of the T14 give a decent shot at HYS? Boalt?

Any insight or personal experiences would be great.


I would say in at Boalt (with a legitimate reason)....out at Stanford and Yale, and possibility at H (if from MVP it is a better chance)


Thanks for the response! What if the only reason was a strong tie to the west coast? Cali in particular.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby bwv812 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:55 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.


I don't care what a failing magazine says. I care about job placement, and Boalt's is no better than Duke's.

Also 1/4 of its students have under a 164? WTF?


Job placement is a legitimate argument, but those NLJ 250 numbers are subject to self-selection of students. Given the "hippy" attitude at UCB it doesn't surprise me that many students self select away from firm work, but that doesn't detract from the educational quality of the school. Furthermore, US NEWS considers job placement numbers so for UCB to be ranked so highly with "lower" job placement and LSAT scores speaks to the strength of the rest of their offering.

However, to judge a school based on what the entrance LSAT numbers are is flat out dumb.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:22 pm

JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.


I don't care what a failing magazine says. I care about job placement, and Boalt's is no better than Duke's.

Also 1/4 of its students have under a 164? WTF?


Job placement is a legitimate argument, but those NLJ 250 numbers are subject to self-selection of students. Given the "hippy" attitude at UCB it doesn't surprise me that many students self select away from firm work, but that doesn't detract from the educational quality of the school. Furthermore, US NEWS considers job placement numbers so for UCB to be ranked so highly with "lower" job placement and LSAT scores speaks to the strength of the rest of their offering.

However, to judge a school based on what the entrance LSAT numbers are is flat out dumb.


USNews uses really stupid employment data, starbucks counts as employed. Also this year Boalt fell to 7, tied with Penn. Usuing LSAT numbers isn't dumb. Why can't Boalt attract better applicants?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby calicocat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:USNews uses really stupid employment data, starbucks counts as employed. Also this year Boalt fell to 7, tied with Penn. Usuing LSAT numbers isn't dumb. Why can't Boalt attract better applicants?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1COQP3.DTL

Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:Would top 20% from the lower end of the T14 give a decent shot at HYS? Boalt?

Any insight or personal experiences would be great.


~top 25% from GULC. Planned on trying to transfer HYS+B, but shelved that after spring grades came in; only applied to Boalt and Stanford (their deadlines were due before grades were released).

Relatively quick ding from Boalt, which was unexpected. I think mentioning that I was international student and would need institutional loans from them was probably a big problem.

Got a ding in late August from Stanford, which surprisingly suggests I had more of a chance there. Had strong curriculum-related reasons for wanting to go there. S was very pleasant, and let me know that one of my professors had failed to send in the recommendation form (and used this as the excuse for their ding, though I'm sure I was a very marginal applicant). Same prof had apparently failed to do this for other transfer applicants, including one who ultimately made it to Yale after getting the prof to send the recommendation in.

Before applying, I would have expected that top 25% would have given me a very good chance at Columbia and below (people have transferred from UVA to Penn with median grades), and no chance at HYS.


Thanks for the imput. Kinda suprised you didnt get into Boalt

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:Would top 20% from the lower end of the T14 give a decent shot at HYS? Boalt?

Any insight or personal experiences would be great.


~top 25% from GULC. Planned on trying to transfer HYS+B, but shelved that after spring grades came in; only applied to Boalt and Stanford (their deadlines were due before grades were released).

Relatively quick ding from Boalt, which was unexpected. I think mentioning that I was international student and would need institutional loans from them was probably a big problem.

Got a ding in late August from Stanford, which surprisingly suggests I had more of a chance there. Had strong curriculum-related reasons for wanting to go there. S was very pleasant, and let me know that one of my professors had failed to send in the recommendation form (and used this as the excuse for their ding, though I'm sure I was a very marginal applicant). Same prof had apparently failed to do this for other transfer applicants, including one who ultimately made it to Yale after getting the prof to send the recommendation in.

Before applying, I would have expected that top 25% would have given me a very good chance at Columbia and below (people have transferred from UVA to Penn with median grades), and no chance at HYS.


Thanks for the imput. Kinda suprised you didnt get into Boalt
LSAT was too high

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 pm

JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
JPU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is 10-14


I don't know what your smoking, but with over 9000 posts you should def have noticed they are ranked #6.


I don't care what a failing magazine says. I care about job placement, and Boalt's is no better than Duke's.

Also 1/4 of its students have under a 164? WTF?


Job placement is a legitimate argument, but those NLJ 250 numbers are subject to self-selection of students. Given the "hippy" attitude at UCB it doesn't surprise me that many students self select away from firm work,


Does not getting any offers from a firm count as "self-selection"? If so, then I agree, boalt students "self-selected" themselves out of law firms.

JPU wrote:... but that doesn't detract from the educational quality of the school.


Does anyone actually pay $80K /year (or whatever the cost of attendance is rising to) to attend Boalt because they are looking for educational quality? Probably not, and I'd argue that many lower ranked schools have better educational quality because scholars that wrote treatises and published a bunch of scholarly work doesn't necessarily mean the profs are good at teaching it.

JPU wrote:Furthermore, US NEWS considers job placement numbers so for UCB to be ranked so highly with "lower" job placement and LSAT scores speaks to the strength of the rest of their offering.

However, to judge a school based on what the entrance LSAT numbers are is flat out dumb.


I think you could make a better argument that judging a school based on how many people took any kind of employment within 9 months of graduation (including McDonalds) is flat out dumb. USNews would be a lot better of a magazine if they took into account things like actual legal career prospects in some way.

Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 am

[/quote]
I think you could make a better argument that judging a school based on how many people took any kind of employment within 9 months of graduation (including McDonalds) is flat out dumb. USNews would be a lot better of a magazine if they took into account things like actual legal career prospects in some way.[/quote]

Agreed.

Seems like my post got a little off track tho. :D

Lawyerwannabe18
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Transfer to T6 from 10-14

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:23 am

holydonkey wrote:
Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
Lawyerwannabe18 wrote:Would top 20% from the lower end of the T14 give a decent shot at HYS? Boalt?

Any insight or personal experiences would be great.


~top 25% from GULC. Planned on trying to transfer HYS+B, but shelved that after spring grades came in; only applied to Boalt and Stanford (their deadlines were due before grades were released).

Relatively quick ding from Boalt, which was unexpected. I think mentioning that I was international student and would need institutional loans from them was probably a big problem.

Got a ding in late August from Stanford, which surprisingly suggests I had more of a chance there. Had strong curriculum-related reasons for wanting to go there. S was very pleasant, and let me know that one of my professors had failed to send in the recommendation form (and used this as the excuse for their ding, though I'm sure I was a very marginal applicant). Same prof had apparently failed to do this for other transfer applicants, including one who ultimately made it to Yale after getting the prof to send the recommendation in.

Before applying, I would have expected that top 25% would have given me a very good chance at Columbia and below (people have transferred from UVA to Penn with median grades), and no chance at HYS.


Thanks for the imput. Kinda suprised you didnt get into Boalt
LSAT was too high


lol




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.