Transferring to Harvard/BU/BC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Scuzzlebutt
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Transferring to Harvard/BU/BC

Postby Scuzzlebutt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm

I desperately wanted to get into a top Boston school this cycle, but was unfortunately rejected by Harvard, BU and BC. My fiancee is moving to Boston to start her Ph.D. and now I've either got to go to Northeastern or wait a year and transfer. I was accepted at a handful of T50 schools in and around the Northeast, but I'm concerned about it being difficult to transfer into one of those three Boston schools.

My question is, do I go to the highest-ranked school I get into, even if it's out of the region and hope to transfer next year, or do I take a lower-ranked regional school for a year and cross my fingers after my 1L?

OR should I just suck it up and go to Northeastern?

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Transferring to Harvard/BU/BC

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

TLS Majority Rule on Transferring: When contemplating transfer as an 0L
(a) Do not matriculate at a school with the goal of transferring to a higher ranked school
(b) Do not matriculate at a school without being content with a degree from that school

If you must have Boston, and you're not content with a Northeastern degree, then do not matriculate at Northeastern. If you go to Northeastern with the goal of transferring, there is a ~90% chance that you won't get into BU/BC from Northeastern (unsubstantiated guess, but probably not too far off) because there is a 90% chance that you will end up outside the top 10% which is competitive region for a transfer (top 1% for H from Northeastern, I'd imagine). Thus, there will be a ~90% chance that you will not attain that goal.

OP, if you are adamant about going to BU/BC/Harvard (huge difference between BC/BU and H :shock: ), and it won't either put you into financial ruin or ruin your relationship with your finacee, then you might want to consider retaking the LSAT and re-vamping your application package for another stab at the admissions process next fall.

HTH

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transferring to Harvard/BU/BC

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:53 pm

/facepalm at "BU, BC or Harvard"

You're not going to get in to Harvard from Northeastern, heh. In fact, I don't know how successful you can be transferring out of Northeastern because of their relatively unique practicum setup.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Transferring to Not YLS/BU/BC

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:lishi Majority Rule on Transferring: When contemplating transfer as an noel
(a) Do not matriculate at a school with the goal of transferring to a higher ranked school
(b) Do not matriculate at a school without being content with a degree from that school

If you must have Boston, and you're not content with a Northeastern degree, then do not matriculate at Northeastern. If you go to Northeastern with the goal of transferring, there is a ~90% chance that you won't get into BU/BC from Northeastern (unsubstantiated guess, but probably not too far off) because there is a 90% chance that you will end up outside the top 10% which is competitive region for a transfer (top 1% for H from Northeastern, I'd imagine). Thus, there will be a ~90% chance that you will not attain that goal.

OP, if you are adamant about going to BU/BC/Not YLS (huge difference between BC/BU and H :shock: ), and it won't either put you into financial ruin or ruin your relationship with your finacee, then you might want to consider retaking the LSAT and re-vamping your application package for another stab at the admissions process next fall.

HTH


Agreed.

I think that unless you are fine with going to Northeastern and would be happy graduating from there, taking a year off and retaking the LSAT to try again for BU/BC is your best bet. BU and BC take very very few transfers, and are both notoriously difficult to transfer into.

I personally know a couple of people who successfully transferred into T10 schools that got rejected from BU and BC.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transferring to Not YLS/BU/BC

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:lishi Majority Rule on Transferring: When contemplating transfer as an noel
(a) Do not matriculate at a school with the goal of transferring to a higher ranked school
(b) Do not matriculate at a school without being content with a degree from that school

If you must have Boston, and you're not content with a Northeastern degree, then do not matriculate at Northeastern. If you go to Northeastern with the goal of transferring, there is a ~90% chance that you won't get into BU/BC from Northeastern (unsubstantiated guess, but probably not too far off) because there is a 90% chance that you will end up outside the top 10% which is competitive region for a transfer (top 1% for H from Northeastern, I'd imagine). Thus, there will be a ~90% chance that you will not attain that goal.

OP, if you are adamant about going to BU/BC/Not YLS (huge difference between BC/BU and H :shock: ), and it won't either put you into financial ruin or ruin your relationship with your finacee, then you might want to consider retaking the LSAT and re-vamping your application package for another stab at the admissions process next fall.

HTH


Agreed.

I think that unless you are fine with going to Northeastern and would be happy graduating from there, taking a year off and retaking the LSAT to try again for BU/BC is your best bet. BU and BC take very very few transfers, and are both notoriously difficult to transfer into.

I personally know a couple of people who successfully transferred into T10 schools that got rejected from BU and BC.


Stealth mod fails at mod stealth




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.