Fellow Class of 2013/pre-1L Transfers Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fs_tills

New

Fellow Class of 2013/pre-1L Transfers

Post by fs_tills » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Any other TLS users who will be starting 1L this fall and already know they want to transfer?

The best law school option I have right now is the third-best law school in a state without especially good law schools. This is mostly on account of royally messing up my GPA because of personal reasons during undergrad, personal reasons which, thankfully, I've since gotten over.

I really don't want to actually finish at the same law school I will start at in August. I simply know that already.

So, this thread is for any other pre-1L transfers. Anyone else?

Diamond

Re: Fellow Class of 2013/pre-1L Transfers

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 pm

fs_tills wrote:Any other TLS users who will be starting 1L this fall and already know they want to transfer?

The best law school option I have right now is the third-best law school in a state without especially good law schools. This is mostly on account of royally messing up my GPA because of personal reasons during undergrad, personal reasons which, thankfully, I've since gotten over.

I really don't want to actually finish at the same law school I will start at in August. I simply know that already.

You better be going for free, and you better be ready to drop out after 1L.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:59 pm

This is a terrible, terrible idea. Please don't do this unless you will be happy if/when you don't do well enough to transfer. Again... This is a terrible idea.

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fs_tills wrote:Any other TLS users who will be starting 1L this fall and already know they want to transfer?

Why must you be pessimistic? You know absolutely nothing about this person's situation, schools, etc...

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:08 pm

amichig wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Why must you be pessimistic? You know absolutely nothing about this person's situation, schools, etc...
Some of the bottom schools feed off of this line of reasoning. He may have done it in a backhanded way, but it is the reality of the situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fs_tills

New

Post by fs_tills » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
1. Fortunately, my parents are paying. It won't be free, but it would be less than they paid per year for my undergrad. Less than they paid per year for my high school tuition, actually.
2. It's a commuter-heavy law school in which students I've asked actually admit there's zero sense of school community. So it's not well-ranked, it's not going to cost much, and there's not even a sense of collegial bonding among fellow students. I don't see how, if I do well and manage to transfer, I lose that much.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:09 pm

"pre-1L transfer" is my new favorite term.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:11 pm

fs_tills wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
1. Fortunately, my parents are paying. It won't be free, but it would be less than they paid per year for my undergrad. Less than they paid per year for my high school tuition, actually.
2. It's a commuter-heavy law school in which students I've asked actually admit there's zero sense of school community. So it's not well-ranked, it's not going to cost much, and there's not even a sense of collegial bonding among fellow students. I don't see how, if I do well and manage to transfer, I lose that much.
Why can't you restudy the LSAT? There are two posters on this thread with a gpa below 3 who will be or are attending a t14.

You realize why this is risky right?

Good luck.

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:11 pm

RayFinkle wrote:
amichig wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Some of the bottom schools feed off of this line of reasoning. He may have done it in a backhanded way, but it is the reality of the situation.

That's completely fair, but at least ask the person for details of their situation before you nod off advice that is completely unfounded. People take advice given on this site pretty seriously - it's a disservice to say that tranferring is a terrible, terrible idea without more specifics.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:14 pm

amichig wrote:
That's completely fair, but at least ask the person for details of their situation before you nod off advice that is completely unfounded. People take advice given on this site pretty seriously - it's a disservice to say that tranferring is a terrible, terrible idea without more specifics.
I didn't say transferring was a terrible, terrible idea. I am saying that going to law school on the basis that you are going to transfer is a terrible, terrible idea. Now, given the situation that has been presented, the OP doesn't mind his parents losing money and so I guess he is an exception. I still don't think it is a great idea and a disservice to himself and his parents, but it is what it is. If you can take the lump, take the lump. Good luck.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 pm

amichig wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:
amichig wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I didn't say transferring is a terrible idea, I implied that going to law school set on being able to transfer is a terrible idea. And I stand by that no matter what the specifics.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Studying harder for the LSAT is easier than studying your ass off all year just to be able to transfer. Just do it over.

fs_tills

New

Post by fs_tills » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Why can't you restudy the LSAT? There are two posters on this thread with a gpa below 3 who will be or are attending a t14.

Good luck.
I realize it's risky. I also realize I don't want to delay law school another year more than I already have. As others have mentioned, you don't know the full specifics of my situation or motives. You say it doesn't matter what my specifics are in relation to your advice. I say, I know what I want to do. I'm going to do it.
amichig wrote:
Amichig had entirely the right idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:38 pm

It depends on from where to where. If you are looking to transfer to a school that's not ranked all that much higher than yours, you might not have to do that well to do it.

But if you're looking at jumping a tier, I'm guessing you'd have to be in the top 10-20% of your class to have a shot. If you want to transfer to a T14 you're probably looking at needing top 1% - 5% depending on where you're coming from.

It's HARDER to get in on transfer, not easier, which is why it's better to just retake the LSAT.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:44 pm

I had the idea in my head that I would try to transfer before law school and ended up at the very top of my class. That being said I would be perfectly happy graduating from my t4 if this whole transferring thing doesn't work out. The key is to use it as motivation to stay diligent studying. Do not, I repeat, do not think you will be able to transfer right from the bat. You have to earn it during the first semester. Just because your going against "weaker" competition at a t3 doesn't mean it will be easy or possible. To have good transfer options you need to at least be in the top 5%, so on day 1 look around and count how many people you will need outwork and outsmart over the course of the school year. Remember that number and don't forget it.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 pm

This may qualify for most fucking retarded thread EVER.

fs_tills

New

Post by fs_tills » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:22 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:It depends on from where to where. If you are looking to transfer to a school that's not ranked all that much higher than yours, you might not have to do that well to do it.

But if you're looking at jumping a tier, I'm guessing you'd have to be in the top 10-20% of your class to have a shot. If you want to transfer to a T14 you're probably looking at needing top 1% - 5% depending on where you're coming from.

It's HARDER to get in on transfer, not easier, which is why it's better to just retake the LSAT.
I'm not considering T14. I'm thinking rank 20s/30s, which is where the better law schools in my region are ranked (and I plan on staying on and getting a job within this region post law school). That's a big jump from rank to rank for me, but keep in mind that, again, I'm not thinking T14, and the school I'll be headed to for 1L transfer won't be as far back as Tier 3, either.
[b]JPU[/b] wrote:I had the idea in my head that I would try to transfer before law school and ended up at the very top of my class. That being said I would be perfectly happy graduating from my t4 if this whole transferring thing doesn't work out. The key is to use it as motivation to stay diligent studying. Do not, I repeat, do not think you will be able to transfer right from the bat. You have to earn it during the first semester. Just because your going against "weaker" competition at a t3 doesn't mean it will be easy or possible. To have good transfer options you need to at least be in the top 5%, so on day 1 look around and count how many people you will need outwork and outsmart over the course of the school year. Remember that number and don't forget it.
Thanks JPU. Will take this to heart.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

I agree with the motivational stuff though - that's exactly how I made transfer-quality grades although I decided not to transfer ($$$) - I looked at every class and said "I have to be one of the top X kids in this class" and kept that in mind always to keep me studying.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm

fs_tills wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Why can't you restudy the LSAT? There are two posters on this thread with a gpa below 3 who will be or are attending a t14.

Good luck.
I realize it's risky. I also realize I don't want to delay law school another year more than I already have. As others have mentioned, you don't know the full specifics of my situation or motives. You say it doesn't matter what my specifics are in relation to your advice. I say, I know what I want to do. I'm going to do it.
amichig wrote:
Amichig had entirely the right idea.
Amichig is dead wrong. Situation doesn't matter. HORRIBLE idea to plan on transferring.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:This may qualify for most fucking retarded thread EVER.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm going in making sure I'd be completely content with graduating from whichever school I choose, BUT if I end up pulling stellar grades, I'll probably try to transfer up. Why not, right?

BUT - this isn't part of my actual law school plan. That's the key.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote: BUT - this isn't part of my actual law school plan. That's the key.
Per the OP, I don't think this thread is for you.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:I'm going in making sure I'd be completely content with graduating from whichever school I choose, BUT if I end up pulling stellar grades, I'll probably try to transfer up. Why not, right?

BUT - this isn't part of my actual law school plan. That's the key.

+1
I'm going for a win-WIN situation at LS. The capital letters (ie - the transfer) would just be bonus.

To OP - give your school a chance you might like it more than whatever school you might transfer to. Don't let TLS give ya that grass-is-greener syndrome...focus on the task at hand.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Anyone else love how DFox is a 0L and just regurgitates everything that anyone ever told him on TLS...well I shouldn't say "everything," "just the elitist stuff" would probably be more accurate.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Anyone else love how DFox is a 0L and just regurgitates everything that anyone ever told him on TLS...well I shouldn't say "everything," "just the elitist stuff" would probably be more accurate.
I don't need to go to law school to know hedging 150K on a bet that you'll be top 5% in your class is a bad bet. It is a really stupid idea.

Most people on TLS are saying not to go. I'm saying, hey, why not find a full ride and take a shot at it, and drop out if you fail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”