Need Based Aid For Transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Need Based Aid For Transfers

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:07 am

During my 0L cycle, I qualified for need-based aid at two schools. Many of the transfer schools say that they give need based aid. Anyone know anything about this?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Need Based Aid For Transfers

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

It depends on the school. I think most need based aid comes out of endowment money, so some schools are much more stringent about who they give need based aid to then others.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Need Based Aid For Transfers

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:45 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:It depends on the school. I think most need based aid comes out of endowment money, so some schools are much more stringent about who they give need based aid to then others.


Someone said something about Berkeley helping out and I think I heard something about Michigan......maybe they don't like giving it to transfer students though, like your post suggests. I don't want to ask schools until I am accepted, haha.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Need Based Aid For Transfers

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 pm

A'nold wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:It depends on the school. I think most need based aid comes out of endowment money, so some schools are much more stringent about who they give need based aid to then others.


Someone said something about Berkeley helping out and I think I heard something about Michigan......maybe they don't like giving it to transfer students though, like your post suggests. I don't want to ask schools until I am accepted, haha.


My post didn't suggest that at all. I don't think they would be any more stringent for need based aid for transfers than with non-transfers. I was just comparing need based aid at schools like Berkeley or Michigan (where a smaller number of people get it) to schools like Harvard or Yale (where a large part of their class get it).

Definitely don't ask about whether you, specifically, would be eligible for need based aid before you get accepted.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Need Based Aid For Transfers

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
A'nold wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:It depends on the school. I think most need based aid comes out of endowment money, so some schools are much more stringent about who they give need based aid to then others.


Someone said something about Berkeley helping out and I think I heard something about Michigan......maybe they don't like giving it to transfer students though, like your post suggests. I don't want to ask schools until I am accepted, haha.


My post didn't suggest that at all. I don't think they would be any more stringent for need based aid for transfers than with non-transfers. I was just comparing need based aid at schools like Berkeley or Michigan (where a smaller number of people get it) to schools like Harvard or Yale (where a large part of their class get it).

Definitely don't ask about whether you, specifically, would be eligible for need based aid before you get accepted.


I'm with you 100% on that one. :)

Sorry for misunderstanding your post and thanks for the comments.

heyguys
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Need Based Aid For Transfers

Postby heyguys » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 am

A'nold wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
A'nold wrote:Definitely don't ask about whether you, specifically, would be eligible for need based aid before you get accepted.


I'm with you 100% on that one. :)



Why is that? It's a relevant consideration. What about if you were accepted and offered need based aid last year but now realize you would want to go there?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.