Done Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sophie316

Bronze

Done

Post by sophie316 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 pm

No longer relevant
Last edited by sophie316 on Sun May 30, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: Transferring within CCN

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 am

You will not receive any money at a school you transfer to, under any circumstances (except some need based stuff, esp. at HYS).

You can transfer to any school you want to standing on your head (possible exception yale, since they're always a black box).

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 am

Sophie, if you don't mind sharing, why are you thinking about this? As I recall, you are a Columbia UG who got into both but chose NYU for resume diversity (among other things), right?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 am

Unemployed wrote:Sophie, if you don't mind sharing, why are you thinking about this? As I recall, you are a Columbia UG who got into both but chose NYU for resume diversity (among other things), right?
I'm curious too. When I saw the thread I assumed it was someone who either hated or loved Chicago and wanted a new city.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:11 am

If you're top 10%, why not send apps to HYS as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

This is the most illogical thing I've heard in a long time. Stay at NYU!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 am

Edited this out. Anyone who stumbles along this later and is curious for some reason pm me.
Last edited by sophie316 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:39 am

I don't know who you are! :-D

To answer your initial question, the reason people are suggesting (including or maybe only myself) to apply to YHS is because you will be able to transfer to Columbia quite easily given your GPA and the school you're transferring from.
Last edited by dbt on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 am

dbt wrote:I don't know who you are! :-D
She just asked you not to quote all of that, d-bag.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:42 am

vanwinkle wrote:
dbt wrote:I don't know who you are! :-D
She just asked you not to quote all of that, d-bag.
I edited. Also, I hate you.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 am

Solid reasons. I'm sure you'll get in, but they won't give you money. Transfer students are cash cows...

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 am

Thanks guys...I guess my concern was that they'd be less likely to accept me since I didn't go there in the first place....how low could I afford to drop this semester and still have a good shot? (hopefully I won't but who knows)

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:29 am

They'd probably be MORE likely to accept you if they accepted you as a 0L - I'm not sure about Columbia, but HYS seem to stress that they only accept transfers out of those whom they would've accepted as 0Ls.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 am

sophie316 wrote:Thanks guys...I guess my concern was that they'd be less likely to accept me since I didn't go there in the first place....how low could I afford to drop this semester and still have a good shot? (hopefully I won't but who knows)
Below median?

Transfers in the same tier are really easy if you have a good reason.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:50 am

OneKnight wrote:They'd probably be MORE likely to accept you if they accepted you as a 0L - I'm not sure about Columbia, but HYS seem to stress that they only accept transfers out of those whom they would've accepted as 0Ls.
Where do they stress this?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:59 am

apper123 wrote:
OneKnight wrote:They'd probably be MORE likely to accept you if they accepted you as a 0L - I'm not sure about Columbia, but HYS seem to stress that they only accept transfers out of those whom they would've accepted as 0Ls.
Where do they stress this?
So on the Harvard transfer page, it has an innocent statement to the effect of 'our transfer class generally would have been competitive as 0Ls'. That one sentence has been repeated, modified, and telephoned around the internet to the point where people will sometimes say stuff like "OMGZ HYS use LSAT + UGPA instead of law school grades for transfers!111!!!11!". Usually not quite that severe, but...

The transfer apps data base + group discussion suggests a strong UGPA might help crack HYS, but the data otherwise suggest that applying, being accepted, or being competitive for entry as a 1L has absolutely no bearing on the transfer process.

The exception is that good schools tend to limit what tiers they will take transfers from, and in that sense it's kind of a defacto limit on the UGPA/LSAT combos that will be able to get in. If H doesn't take anybody from T3/T4 schools, which as a whole have certain GPA and LSAT characteristics, it sort of gets you to the same point.

But the moral of the story is: outside of a few discrete and poorly documented cases, all of which occurring in HYS, there does not seem to be real data suggesting UGPA, LSAT, application, or lack of application as a 1L impact transfer applications.

Which is all moot, because top 10% at NYU will get into any school in the country except YS automatically as a transfer ap, and has a fighting chance at YS too.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Yeah, um... if you want academia, then think of transferring to Yale? I guess? Otherwise, stay put, and enjoy your future full of hookers and blow.

Edit: Congrats on your amazing grades at an amazing institution.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:23 am

I haven't heard this statement, but I know it's untrue in light of their actually policies. Do you honestly think that all of the people who transfer into HYS from throughout the T100 (and worse) went to inferior schools when they could have gotten into HYS? They went to those lesser[*] schools because they either had bad GPAs, low LSAT scores, or, most likely, both. One TLSer last year went to a no name bottom-tier school but transferred to H after he got a 4.0 during 1L (I think he had a presidential username...maybe John Adams); I can't remember his stats, but no one with an LSAT over 165 and a GPA over 3.00 goes to those barely accredited schools.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 am

its important to understand what it means when HYS says they only accept transfers from those they would have accepted. this does not mean they only accept transfers from people who previously were accepted; rather, it means that they tend to accept people whose numbers made them a reasonable candidate when they first applied. For example, a 172 3.6 applicant who matriculated at NYU was not a complete auto-reject at hys as a 0L. clearly, the 172/3.6 made admissions unlikely but the but the numbers are enough to put them under consideration. on the other hand, hys is not likely to take a 164/3.5 applicant going to a T50 school even if they are now top 5%. Most hys transfers are likely people who were a little bit below getting in (other t14 students) who prove themselves with 1L grades or students with one number in HYS range but another low number (say a 175/3.2 with upward trend or a 166/3.9) who show with their 1L grades that the low lsat or low freshman grades are not indicative of their capacities. HLS takes a whole bunch of transfers and they clearly don't all come from previous admits. Transferring is mostly about giving people a chance to prove themselves. The harvard or yale transfers are not people who decided that accepting the hamilton or darrow was a mistake. I know 3 people who transfered to Harvard (from Michigan, Chicago, and BC), 2 at Yale (from NYU and Georgetown), 1 at Stanford (from Columbia), and 1 at Columbia (from Cornell). All of these people were transferring because they were disappointed with their 0L cycles (mostly because they were pissed at how a low gpa or lsat held them back), they were regretted not accepting a harvard or yale admit in the first place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”