Still no word on UC Irvine?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:31 am

Their site still says that they have not decided on the transfer thing yet. I would definitely be interested. Has anyone heard any whispers or anything?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 am

A'nold wrote:Their site still says that they have not decided on the transfer thing yet. I would definitely be interested. Has anyone heard any whispers or anything?


Interesting. I decided to not go home for break, but I can ask some friends if they have heard anything.

Now if they were offering the full ride to transfers i would be in :)

Bloomington is a great city, but i think I will always be partial to orange county

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
A'nold wrote:Their site still says that they have not decided on the transfer thing yet. I would definitely be interested. Has anyone heard any whispers or anything?


Interesting. I decided to not go home for break, but I can ask some friends if they have heard anything.

Now if they were offering the full ride to transfers i would be in :)

Bloomington is a great city, but i think I will always be partial to orange county


I would still probably pay full-price (not if I were in your situation though). I think being in the 1st graduating class almost guarantees you a really good job and you get to watch as your school climbs the rankings over the next few decades. The great connections you would make would be invaluable as well.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby Bankhead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 pm

No way in hell I'd transfer from a T25 to an unaccredited law school. I can, however, understand the rationale for doing so.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby Bankhead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
A'nold wrote:Their site still says that they have not decided on the transfer thing yet. I would definitely be interested. Has anyone heard any whispers or anything?


Interesting. I decided to not go home for break, but I can ask some friends if they have heard anything.

Now if they were offering the full ride to transfers i would be in :)

Bloomington is a great city, but i think I will always be partial to orange county


Oh c'mon dude, you know you want to take that sweet Ice Miller gig in Indy. :wink:

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Bankhead wrote:No way in hell I'd transfer from a T25 to an unaccredited law school. I can, however, understand the rationale for doing so.


Haha, yeah, that'd be crazy. For me, it'd definitely make sense though.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Bankhead wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
A'nold wrote:Their site still says that they have not decided on the transfer thing yet. I would definitely be interested. Has anyone heard any whispers or anything?


Interesting. I decided to not go home for break, but I can ask some friends if they have heard anything.

Now if they were offering the full ride to transfers i would be in :)

Bloomington is a great city, but i think I will always be partial to orange county


Oh c'mon dude, you know you want to take that sweet Ice Miller gig in Indy. :wink:


haha I hope spring is here to stay, the last few weeks have been a nice change from the snow.

to A'nold: being from Orange county, I can say that it has a great rep around the area and I personally think it would be a great deal. Orange county is probably the market I would most like to be in myself (and I stand firm that it is separate then LA!), but Berkeley and Stanford will certainly give me a better opportunity then UCI.

I would think from the beginning it may be limited to dominating or at least a strong presence in Irvine/Newport/Costa Mesa firms, likely ok in LA/SD, and probably a few in the west coast, but I doubt tons of mobility outside of that.

Albeit I really think the school will shoot up as you said, so a few years later it may be a very strong name.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
A'nold wrote:Their site still says that they have not decided on the transfer thing yet. I would definitely be interested. Has anyone heard any whispers or anything?


Interesting. I decided to not go home for break, but I can ask some friends if they have heard anything.

Now if they were offering the full ride to transfers i would be in :)

Bloomington is a great city, but i think I will always be partial to orange county


Oh c'mon dude, you know you want to take that sweet Ice Miller gig in Indy. :wink:


haha I hope spring is here to stay, the last few weeks have been a nice change from the snow.

to A'nold: being from Orange county, I can say that it has a great rep around the area and I personally think it would be a great deal. Orange county is probably the market I would most like to be in myself (and I stand firm that it is separate then LA!), but Berkeley and Stanford will certainly give me a better opportunity then UCI.

I would think from the beginning it may be limited to dominating or at least a strong presence in Irvine/Newport/Costa Mesa firms, likely ok in LA/SD, and probably a few in the west coast, but I doubt tons of mobility outside of that.

Albeit I really think the school will shoot up as you said, so a few years later it may be a very strong name.



Yeah, it sounds like a nice area in which to live. I am good anywhere up and down the West Coast, as that's where all of our family lives. WA or CA would be the best options. Do you think they'd still be all snooty and not accept a top t3 student with a strong PI interest?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:49 pm

From what Ive heard UCI really wants to be PI oriented school. I think they would be looking for someone like you, you can show good grades at your schools and increase their class size.

My personal bias is Orange county is the best place to live in continental US :) but it can be a bit pricey, though really you can find a place reasonable (though after living in Indiana I can say my definition of reasonable may be really skewed).

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:05 pm

kings84_wr wrote:From what Ive heard UCI really wants to be PI oriented school. I think they would be looking for someone like you, you can show good grades at your schools and increase their class size.

My personal bias is Orange county is the best place to live in continental US :) but it can be a bit pricey, though really you can find a place reasonable (though after living in Indiana I can say my definition of reasonable may be really skewed).


Yeah, I'm used to a pretty expensive COL (Seattle) but likely not Orange County expensive, but I think we'd be all right. I still doubt they would accept me based on how exclusive they are trying to make the school though. :(

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 pm

I think they are just impossible to judge, especially since they have not had any transfer apps yet. THey seem to equate themselves on the same level as UCLA and USC, I would guess they try and treat transfer apps the same as them.

I think having a PI focus would help you, and being from the west coast is also good.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:22 am

That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:36 am

A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:38 am

autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.


So are you in with a 1/2 scholly or does it depend based on #'s? If they keep it small and prestigeous it really could wind up a t14, and I really haven't ever thought another school could crack t14 other than maybe Vandy.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 am

A'nold wrote:
autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.


So are you in with a 1/2 scholly or does it depend based on #'s? If they keep it small and prestigeous it really could wind up a t14, and I really haven't ever thought another school could crack t14 other than maybe Vandy.


1/2 scholarship guaranteed for the the whole 2nd class -- not numbers based and, as far as I can tell, there's no class rank/minimum GPA requirement.

I guess numbers figured into getting admitted, but I don't know if they are giving out merit aid on top of the 1/2 scholarship.

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby ViP » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:57 am

A'nold wrote:
autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.


So are you in with a 1/2 scholly or does it depend based on #'s? If they keep it small and prestigeous it really could wind up a t14, and I really haven't ever thought another school could crack t14 other than maybe Vandy.


The school's goal is to eventually enroll classes of around 200 students. Next year's class is rumored to comprise of around 80 students.

In all honesty, the school has no chance of cracking the T14 any time soon. But with such a great faculty and such an impressive student body, Irvine is sure to make some heads turn in the next few years. I think a more realistic US News debut to hope for is T30, which would be a phenomenal feat for a brand new law school.

By the way...

We already have a great thread going for Irvine that isn't focused solely on the topic of transfers :) :

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=96596

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:10 am

ViP wrote:
A'nold wrote:
autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.


So are you in with a 1/2 scholly or does it depend based on #'s? If they keep it small and prestigeous it really could wind up a t14, and I really haven't ever thought another school could crack t14 other than maybe Vandy.


The school's goal is to eventually enroll classes of around 200 students. Next year's class is rumored to comprise of around 80 students.

In all honesty, the school has no chance of cracking the T14 any time soon. But with such a great faculty and such an impressive student body, Irvine is sure to make some heads turn in the next few years. I think a more realistic US News debut to hope for is T30, which would be a phenomenal feat for a brand new law school.

By the way...

We already have a great thread going for Irvine that isn't focused solely on the topic of transfers :) :

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=96596


Haha, thanks. I need to first figure out if they take transfers, since that's my situation right now, but I'll be sure to hit that up if that door somehow opens.

Yeah, I definitely did not think they'd debut at t14. I would say probs top 50 but like you said that will still be a great feat. That's a little disappointing that they are shooting for classes of 200 as that will definitely hurt their numbers. I was thinking they might try to keep it around 100 and be like this ultimately selective, small school w/ a prestigeous faculty and low student to prof. ratio. Oh well. They may be a t25 one day but I don't know about t14 if they plan on increasing the # of students by so much.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 am

autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.





what do you mean you've gotten into "higher ranked schools?"

what's higher ranked than a school with no rank? every school?

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:22 am

awesomepossum wrote:what do you mean you've gotten into "higher ranked schools?"

what's higher ranked than a school with no rank? every school?


Fair enough. I meant higher than the estimated rank :mrgreen:

Let me be more specific: T14 with snow.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 am

awesomepossum wrote:
autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.





what do you mean you've gotten into "higher ranked schools?"

what's higher ranked than a school with no rank? every school?


Haha, I was going to point this out but you did a better job than what my lame response would have been.

Dude, autarkh, you crazy bastard, go to Michigan if that's the school you are talking about.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 am

A'nold wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
autarkh wrote:
A'nold wrote:That school just seems like a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity, one I think I'd be willing to take a "risk" on. It would make no sense for most of you guys, but for me I think it'd be quite the golden ticket so to speak.


Call me crazy, but I feel the same way. I'm in and, so far, it's my top choice even though I've gotten into higher ranked schools. UCI is just so enticing.





what do you mean you've gotten into "higher ranked schools?"

what's higher ranked than a school with no rank? every school?


Haha, I was going to point this out but you did a better job than what my lame response would have been.

Dude, autarkh, you crazy bastard, go to Michigan if that's the school you are talking about.


I'd love to go to Michigan, if only they'll have me. (Despite the snow) :D
Last edited by autarkh on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 am

autarkh wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:what do you mean you've gotten into "higher ranked schools?"

what's higher ranked than a school with no rank? every school?


Fair enough. I meant higher than the estimated rank :mrgreen:

Let me be more specific: T14 with snow.


Didn't it snow in Durham this year? :P
I assume you mean Cornell? Or Michigan? Or Chicago/Northwestern?

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 am

Irvine is right by Huntington and Newport beach. Cold = ~55 F. Half-tuition. 300+ days a year of sun. Plus I want to practice in SoCal. It's hard to pass that up.
Last edited by autarkh on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 am

autarkh wrote:Irvine is right by Huntington and Newport beach. Cold = ~55 F. Half-tuition. 300 days a year of sun. Plus I want to practice in SoCal. It's hard to pass that up.


If that's where you want to live, I see no reason why you shouldn't go there, even over t14 schools. Good luck and I hope you make the choice that's right for you (I am not trying to end this exchange, just wanted to say this b/f I forgot).

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Still no word on UC Irvine?

Postby autarkh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 am

A'nold wrote:
autarkh wrote:Irvine is right by Huntington and Newport beach. Cold = ~55 F. Half-tuition. 300 days a year of sun. Plus I want to practice in SoCal. It's hard to pass that up.


If that's where you want to live, I see no reason why you shouldn't go there, even over t14 schools. Good luck and I hope you make the choice that's right for you (I am not trying to end this exchange, just wanted to say this b/f I forgot).


That's my current thinking. I personally prefer LA to OC (not the beaches though -- most of LA is an open sewer), but I imagine UCI will do well in the LA market -- comparable at least to Loyola. T14 would be great, but I'm not looking for prestige per se. What I want is a great education at the right price. I'm not going to get a 3:1 student to faculty ratio anywhere else. There's not much portability in a UCI degree right now, but I'm dead set on SoCal, so that's less important.

We'll see what happens if UCLA and USC get back to me. That would be a really tough decision.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.