what exactly does provisionally accredited by the ABA mean? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
asdfjkl

New

what exactly does provisionally accredited by the ABA mean?

Post by asdfjkl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:12 pm

OK, so my undergrad GPA is a 3.0 and I could only muster up a 145 on the LSAT after 4 tries. However, I have been accepted to 3 tier 4 law schools and one of them is only provisionally accredited by the ABA. My hopes (however unlikely they may be) are to do really well as a 1L and to transfer to a tier 2 school. Some of the tier 2 schools I am interested in state that for transfer students they must be from a fully accredited ABA law school. So my question is; If I go to a provisionally ABA accredited law school is it possible (assuming all goes well) to be accepted to one of these tier 2 schools that state transfers must be from a fully accredited law school?

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: what exactly does provisionally accredited by the ABA mean?

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:16 pm

asdfjkl wrote:OK, so my undergrad GPA is a 3.0 and I could only muster up a 145 on the LSAT after 4 tries. However, I have been accepted to 3 tier 4 law schools and one of them is only provisionally accredited by the ABA. My hopes (however unlikely they may be) are to do really well as a 1L and to transfer to a tier 2 school. Some of the tier 2 schools I am interested in state that for transfer students they must be from a fully accredited ABA law school. So my question is; If I go to a provisionally ABA accredited law school is it possible (assuming all goes well) to be accepted to one of these tier 2 schools that state transfers must be from a fully accredited law school?
What do you want out of law school?

asdfjkl

New

Post by asdfjkl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 pm

A law degree and the knowledge that is acquired from earning one. I have heard the whole "bad investment" schpeel and it's a waste of money and quite frankly I am not concerned because I have a significant amount of money and a handful of solid connections for employment.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

It means avoid the school like the plague

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

All hope abandon ye who enter here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
asdfjkl wrote:OK, so my undergrad GPA is a 3.0 and I could only muster up a 145 on the LSAT after 4 tries. However, I have been accepted to 3 tier 4 law schools and one of them is only provisionally accredited by the ABA. My hopes (however unlikely they may be) are to do really well as a 1L and to transfer to a tier 2 school. Some of the tier 2 schools I am interested in state that for transfer students they must be from a fully accredited ABA law school. So my question is; If I go to a provisionally ABA accredited law school is it possible (assuming all goes well) to be accepted to one of these tier 2 schools that state transfers must be from a fully accredited law school?
What do you want out of law school?
I hope it is crippling debt, cause he's in luck.

asdfjkl

New

Post by asdfjkl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm

kittenmittons

You like The Gaslight Anthem

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:22 pm

asdfjkl wrote:A law degree and the knowledge that is acquired from earning one. I have heard the whole "bad investment" schpeel and it's a waste of money and quite frankly I am not concerned because I have a significant amount of money and a handful of solid connections for employment.
Buy some books
Get knowledge
Avoid law school
Tell people on internet boards you have lots of money
Win at life

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:22 pm

With all due respect, perhaps you should consider another career path. Unless you are dead set on law and you know you have something easily obtainable after graduation (through previous work experience, family, networking, etc.), you probably aren't going to do well. After 4 tries on the LSAT and still a sub-150 score, perhaps law isn't for you. Not trying to be elitist or a jerk or anything, but these provisionally accredited schools are not going to get you anywhere absent a solid connection to the legal market already. You are unlikely to achieve top 10% in your class based upon your LSAT, and these schools will leave you with nothing but a pile of debt and no job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:22 pm

asdfjkl wrote:A law degree and the knowledge that is acquired from earning one. I have heard the whole "bad investment" schpeel and it's a waste of money and quite frankly I am not concerned because I have a significant amount of money and a handful of solid connections for employment.
Do some research because your school would need to become accredited this year in order to qualify by the time you want to transfer.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:25 pm

The likelihood of this is slim to none. Again, I mean no disrespect, but you tried 4 times at the LSAT and are still below the 50th percentile. You can argue, "The LSAT doesn't measure anything tangible," but the statistics don't back this assertion up.

Getting above a 150 requires an average reading comprehension level and an average grasp of logic. Law school requires an above average to good reading comprehension level and an above average grasp of logic.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

I saw a very similar thread at this website: http://www.bottom-law-schools.com.

Miznitic

Bronze

Post by Miznitic » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Tier 4's aren't worth it. You'll earn your JD, but it is doubtful you'll truly get anything worth your investment to do so. Tier 3's are hit or miss, but Tier 4's are ranked that way for a reason.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unknownscholar

Bronze

Post by unknownscholar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm

pm me. I'd like to know your story. :-)

asdfjkl

New

Post by asdfjkl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

For what it is worth I took the princeton review prep course and was getting solid mid-150's and when I take the actual LSAT my life flashes before me and I tense up. One would then argue that if I can't handle the pressure of the LSAT then how the hell am I going to handle the pressure of being a lawyer. My answer is that I have never done well on standardized and multiple choice tests and furthermore just because someone can't endure pressure in one instance is not protocol that he/she can not endure pressure in other instances.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 pm

I didn't read the other replies, but to answer your question:

It means that 3 years after entry, and it's still not fully accredited, then your diploma is worth the paper it is printed on.

(assuming it's at least of resume paper quality)

(I'm thinking some of these provisionally accredited schools probably print their diplomas on low quality white paper)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

asdfjkl wrote:For what it is worth I took the princeton review prep course and was getting solid mid-150's and when I take the actual LSAT my life flashes before me and I tense up. One would then argue that if I can't handle the pressure of the LSAT then how the hell am I going to handle the pressure of being a lawyer. My answer is that I have never done well on standardized and multiple choice tests and furthermore just because someone can't endure pressure in one instance is not protocol that he/she can not endure pressure in other instances.
Except your GPA just confirms that you probably aren't very successful anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

It means TTTT.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I didn't read the other replies, but to answer your question:

It means that 3 years after entry, and it's still not fully accredited, then your diploma is worth the paper it is printed on.

(assuming it's at least of resume paper quality)

(I'm thinking some of these provisionally accredited schools probably print their diplomas on low quality white paper)

i hear they're going paperless

asdfjkl

New

Post by asdfjkl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Are any of you currently in law school? How do you do well on your exams when a lot of your responses are a result of terrible issue spotting? I am simply asking if it is possible to transfer from a provisionally accredited law school to a tier 2. That is it. Pretty simple.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:45 pm

asdfjkl wrote:Are any of you currently in law school? How do you do well on your exams when a lot of your responses are a result of terrible issue spotting? I am simply asking if it is possible to transfer from a provisionally accredited law school to a tier 2. That is it. Pretty simple.
I'm a 1L at La Verne.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:49 pm

asdfjkl wrote:Are any of you currently in law school? How do you do well on your exams when a lot of your responses are a result of terrible issue spotting? I am simply asking if it is possible to transfer from a provisionally accredited law school to a tier 2. That is it. Pretty simple.
Is it possible? Yeah.

Is it possible I could be a clerk for the SCOTUS? Yeah.

Are either gonna happen? No.

The difference? I'm not making a huge financial decision on the possibility of it. And even if I don't make clerk for SCOTUS, I still have other opportunities. If you don't do well at a provisionally accredited school, you're SOL.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm

OP, it means that posting a thread about any of these schools will get you lambasted by many of the posters on this site as I'm sure you have already noticed.

asdfjkl

New

Post by asdfjkl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't mind. My skin is thick. Most of these posters can't even answer my simple question. A friend of mine who has graduated law school said that on his 1st day of law school he looked around and realized that he is surrounded by the assholes that he tried to avoid his hole life. Kinda funny.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:02 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
OP, it means that posting a thread about any of these schools will get you lambasted by many of the posters on this site as I'm sure you have already noticed.
Bro you forgot the part about how, despite the flame-y nature of these remarks, we're right.

hth
Last edited by kittenmittons on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”