diciplinary record and transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawyerToBe8787

New

diciplinary record and transferring

Post by LawyerToBe8787 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:37 pm

how much would an alcohol violation during my first semester of law school hurt in transfer applications? im over 21, "appeared intoxicated" on campus, blew a .06 and was cited. the university has a program where first time offenses are non-diciplinary (didn't go through university judicial system, but had to participate in counseling); however it was reported to the law school so it will probably be reflected on the dean's certification. regardless, i fully intend to disclose the incident. (other than this, i have no other incidents on my record except for some minor traffic violations).

that being said... do i have a realistic shot at transferring and if so, where? i have a 3.78 at gw currently and *hoping* for duke/uva/cornell/boatl...

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Re: diciplinary record and transferring

Post by DukeHopeful » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:40 pm

LawyerToBe8787 wrote:how much would an alcohol violation during my first semester of law school hurt in transfer applications? im over 21, "appeared intoxicated" on campus, blew a .06 and was cited. the university has a program where first time offenses are non-diciplinary (didn't go through university judicial system, but had to participate in counseling); however it was reported to the law school so it will probably be reflected on the dean's certification. regardless, i fully intend to disclose the incident. (other than this, i have no other incidents on my record except for some minor traffic violations).

that being said... do i have a realistic shot at transferring and if so, where? i have a 3.78 at gw currently and *hoping* for duke/uva/cornell/boatl...
Don't know the answer to your question, but wow, you can actually be cited for that? Is GW a dry campus? You're of age and were below the legal limit TO DRIVE and they wrote you a citation for walking around campus after having a drink or two? Seems pretty ridiculous, I can't imagine any transfer school would take that too seriously in consideration of your great GPA.

GooseGTI

New

Post by GooseGTI » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 pm

How can that even be a problem? I can't imagine any law school would care.

LawyerToBe123

New

Post by LawyerToBe123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm

any thoughts of my chances at GULC EA?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 pm

UVA won't care.

Seriously tough, that blows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Common13

New

Post by Common13 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Personally I think that my scare off a lot of law schools. Given the circumstances of it, they may not care, but they may question just as we have as why you got this disciplinary action. If you had to pick between 2 3.78 GPA students, would you pick one with the clean record or one without.

Common13

New

Post by Common13 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Also, with a 3.78 at such an IP POWERHOUSE why would you want to transfer?

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm

It'll help you get into UVA.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Has to be more to the story. You were acting like an obnoxious 18 year old drunken undergrad, weren't you?

If there is more to the story, I would probably see it as a red flag considering we are in law school now. It's not like this happened in high school or something and you can say how you have matured. It just seems weird. I hope it's not a big deal to schools and I wish you luck op.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”