Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dcpolitico

Re: Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

Postby dcpolitico » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote: Do you folks want to stop being holier-than-thou because you read some stuff, now? Fuck's sake. Chicago is a great school, but make no mistake, you give up some stuff by closing the HYS door.

Thanks. I'm sorry if I came across as holier-than-thou. I'm just very surprised! This completely changes my perspective on things. I appreciate your insights. I'm now wondering if I should convert my Chicago ED to RD.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 am

All I'm saying is that you need to have a REALLY compelling reason to knock yourself out of HYS. Most people who have the numbers for Chicago ED are actually borderline for HYS. On a personal level, I would have gotten in to H (and law school would have been considerably cheaper) had I not done Chicago ED. It's not the end of the world for me, because my family is in Chicago, I know I want to be in Chicago, etc. Chicago ED was built for me and people in my situation.

Don't you think it's a bit much to say you would have gotten in to H? Secondly, you had no way of knowing if your rank would stay the same or improve after second semester, so you chose the risk averse option. You are coming at this now with the benefit of hindsight. Truth is: You leveraged an excellent semester's performance into an ED admission at Chicago and you gave up the CHANCE of making HYS. You can only judge a decision's soundness when it was made. I think you made the right decision. Question though: Do you know if any ED admits went down enough that they would have probably failed at regular decision? If the answer is no, then at least there is an empirical basis for saying Chicago ED isn't a smart option. Of course, there is the possibility that applying ED helps you after being deferred to regular decision (stronger interest in school). So strangely ED might make more sense for the marginal candidates.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:29 am

As far as I know, everyone either stayed the same or went up--but I don't know all of the transfer students' grades, obviously.

As far as getting in to H: people from lower schools with lower GPAs/Class ranks got in, last year, and I imagine many of them don't have the first-generation college background that legitimately is an awfully good soft. I would have gotten in.

Of course I'm looking at this with the benefit of hindsight, but I still think that hindsight is helpful. No one who gets in to Chicago ED is going to srew up their life by doing it, though

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Even though the deadline is here, no worries on not going complete, right?

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:20 pm

stinger35 wrote:Even though the deadline is here, no worries on not going complete, right?

I am not worried. I called, they have everything just a delay on the site. Same thing happened with GULC EA. The heavy regular applications is prolly still bogging them down.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Any guesses on when we will be hearing from Chi? I have marked my calendar for May 7th...anyone else?

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:32 pm

I just want to make sure, but isn't the deadline for ED the 30th?

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Journeybound wrote:I just want to make sure, but isn't the deadline for ED the 30th?

Yes. They changed the deadline this year. Last year's was April 15th. So, you might want to adjust your predictions by 15 days.

I found out that a 1L from my T50 school last year received a transfer admissions offer to Harvard, despite only having a GPA within the top 10%. One of my profs told me I have a good shot there too. I'm curious if anyone here with HYS aspirations is thinking about converting their Chicago ED to RD? Send me a PM.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
Journeybound wrote:I just want to make sure, but isn't the deadline for ED the 30th?

Yes. They changed the deadline this year. Last year's was April 15th. So, you might want to adjust your predictions by 15 days.

I found out that a 1L from my T50 school last year received a transfer admissions offer to Harvard, despite only having a GPA within the top 10%. One of my profs told me I have a good shot there too. I'm curious if anyone here with HYS aspirations is thinking about converting their Chicago ED to RD? Send me a PM.

I didn't realize they moved it back...kind of sucks. Oh well, I am estimating ED acceptance is 5%. Not likely for me.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:11 am

I think I recall a 5% kid from a t50ish getting in to Harvard last year. But, remember, just because somebody did it doesn't mean you will. I would guess that individual had some pretty awesome softs and LORs. If you're not similarly situated or top 2% at your T50, then I wouldn't fret too much about Chicago ED. Just my two cents though. I know that some of the Chi EDs seemed to regret their decision when they repeated their outstanding performance second semester.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:56 pm

Went complete today.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:03 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Went complete today.

+1

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:24 pm

also just went complete, did u guys also submit on the first day>

interalia

Postby interalia » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Complete today. Did not submit first week.

Client8

Postby Client8 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 pm

interalia wrote:Complete today. Did not submit first week.

+1

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Complete. How much more competitive do you think Chicago ED will be than GULC EA? Were any of you accepted to GULC EA that are applying Chicago ED?

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Journeybound wrote:Complete. How much more competitive do you think Chicago ED will be than GULC EA?

Probably more competitive. I think you will see less transfers from T2, T3, and T4 schools, and more transfers from T1.

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Yeah. It seems like they would want to snag the potential HYS transfers.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:05 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
Journeybound wrote:Complete. How much more competitive do you think Chicago ED will be than GULC EA?

Probably more competitive. I think you will see less transfers from T2, T3, and T4 schools, and more transfers from T1.

Agreed. Judging by transferapps, etc. though it does seem like there will be far less applications so you might see some long shots catch a break.

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:19 pm

stinger35 wrote:
dcpolitico wrote:

Agreed. Judging by transferapps, etc. though it does seem like there will be far less applications so you might see some long shots catch a break.

ehh, maybe. I have a feeling Chicago will anticipate that people are holding out for HYS (maybe more so this year than in years past) and didn't choose Chicago's ED.

Did anyone see the special on CNN about an hour ago about a massive wave of violence last week in south and west Chicago?

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:55 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
stinger35 wrote:
dcpolitico wrote:

ehh, maybe. I have a feeling Chicago will anticipate that people are holding out for HYS (maybe more so this year than in years past) and didn't choose Chicago's ED.

Did anyone see the special on CNN about an hour ago about a massive wave of violence last week in south and west Chicago?

I live here and have no idea.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:22 pm

So I guess last year they let everyone know on some day in May? Anyone know when we can expect to find out if we got in or not?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 pm

They called everyone in the second week of May last year, if I remember correctly. Everyone was on the same day.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Ok....so I emailed admissions about their consistent grade requirement. This is what they told me:

"Consistent means the basically the same or better."

If this is true, I have to ask...whats the point of applying early decision? With grades as good or better as I got last semester, I would be (and I assume most people applying to chicago ED would be as well) competitive at Columbia, HYS, other t10, etc. If you can't really lock in a spot, why not just wait for regular admissions? If you can't lock in a spot, how is ED in any way different than regular decision?

I am rethinking my decision to apply early, and am leaning towards withdrawing my application. I think TTON had it right, in that you should only apply ED if you are 100% sure you want to go to chicago. Otherwise, it's just better to wait for second semester grades, and apply to a broader range of schools.

This is especially true for those of us who are now in at georgetown. It would suck to get into chicago, throw away our spot at gtown, and then have admission to chicago revoked because of a more than slight drop in grades (and exams are such black boxes...who knows?).

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm

That is really, really odd. It isn't what they told people last year--last year, they said it was basically a check against a precipitous drop in grades. I know that I certainly wouldn't have applied if it was a "same or better" standard, since "same or better" = Harvard for a lot of people.

Odd.

Return to “Transfers”