Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ToTransferOrNot

Re: Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 am

Client8 wrote:great info on here.

question: how did you all provide your current law school registrar/dean an electronic version of the supplemental form (dean certification)? UChicago instructions explicitly request that the registrar fill out the form and submit it electronically via email, but i can't seem to download the form off LSAC in a manner that would allow the registrar to electronically fill in and email?

Offer to scan the completed document; they'll probably reply that they can scan it themselves.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Does anyone know if they notify you once your application is complete? I sent the LSAC application in, and they requested and were sent a report, and they sent my school a confirmation e-mail about the dean's certification once they received it.

I haven't received anything. Anybody know what's up?

Also, has anyone received a username and password to the online status checker?

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Does anyone know if they notify you once your application is complete? I sent the LSAC application in, and they requested and were sent a report, and they sent my school a confirmation e-mail about the dean's certification once they received it.

It has been total radio silence for me too...

I'm going to call in the morning to confirm that they got everything.

Client8

Postby Client8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 am

JPU wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:Does anyone know if they notify you once your application is complete? I sent the LSAC application in, and they requested and were sent a report, and they sent my school a confirmation e-mail about the dean's certification once they received it.

It has been total radio silence for me too...

I'm going to call in the morning to confirm that they got everything.

likewise, nothing for me either.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Called today. Was told they are still wrapping up the regular admissions cycle and we should all receive e-mails next week.

As a side note, similar to the GULC EA thread we should post our stats so future transferees can get a gauge on their chances. I am thinking mine are close to 0% but I am #1 at a t4 school.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

JPU wrote:Called today. Was told they are still wrapping up the regular admissions cycle and we should all receive e-mails next week.

As a side note, similar to the GULC EA thread we should post our stats so future transferees can get a gauge on their chances. I am thinking mine are close to 0% but I am #1 at a t4 school.

Thanks for the info. And #1 is a huge accomplishment. You have a shot anywhere. Don't let ppl here tell you otherwise. At 5% things get murky. #1 - that gives you a shot, even if it's marginal coming from a T4.

Client8

Postby Client8 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm

meh...i'm at 7% in the 50's so, that doesn't make it any better.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:26 am

top 5% at one of the t2 Chicago schools (I am actually # 1 or # 2 but ranks are only given to top 5 %)

Client8

Postby Client8 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:59 pm

stinger35 wrote:top 5% at one of the t2 Chicago schools (I am actually # 1 or # 2 but ranks are only given to top 5 %)

I don't get it--if the top 5% are ranked, how can you not know if you are #1 or #2.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Client8 wrote:
stinger35 wrote:top 5% at one of the t2 Chicago schools (I am actually # 1 or # 2 but ranks are only given to top 5 %)

I don't get it--if the top 5% are ranked, how can you not know if you are #1 or #2.

Probably meant they only give cut offs, and top 5% is the highest cut off given

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:53 am

kings84_wr wrote:
Client8 wrote:

Yea they only give grade cut offs - i had to figure out that I was first or second on my own, which I cant officially list but it should be rather obvious from first semester numbers actually.

Client8

Postby Client8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 pm

stinger35 wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
Client8 wrote:

Yea they only give grade cut offs - i had to figure out that I was first or second on my own, which I cant officially list but it should be rather obvious from first semester numbers actually.

I c. Regardless, seems like you have an excellent chance, GL!

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Got my Online Status Checker password today, just like GULC's. Just wondering if everyone else is at Received or Complete. I sent all my stuff in on the first day it was open so I am going to be super super pissed if my certification never got there, just like my GULC one.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:38 pm

stinger35 wrote:Got my Online Status Checker password today, just like GULC's. Just wondering if everyone else is at Received or Complete. I sent all my stuff in on the first day it was open so I am going to be super super pissed if my certification never got there, just like my GULC one.

Got mine too. It says received. The note at the bottom of the status checker page says that if your file says received they will e-mail you will whatever materials you are still missing. My school confirmed with me that Chicago sent them a confirmation that they had received my certification. I'm sure Chicago is just backed up.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

got the e-mail today too. I also submitted on the first day and am only "received"

Client8

Postby Client8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 pm

I called the office today and the lady assured me that the only thing they did was send out an email today saying that your application was "received" and nothing more. She didn't confirm when they would switch to complete.

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Has anyone had problems printing off the supplemental transfer form off of LSAC? For some reason mine won't load . . .

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

anyone complete yet?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:44 pm

JPU wrote:anyone complete yet?

Nope. Still just received.

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:29 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I've posted a lot about the Chicago ED process before. In short... yes, there is absolutely the fear of going up to top 1-2% and hating yourself for locking the Harvard door on yourself (happened to me. Annoying, especially because transfer students are eligible for need-based aid at Harvard.) Only apply to ED Chicago if you ABSOLUTELY KNOW you want to practice in Chicago.

Hi ToTransferOrNot,
I'm curious about your comment. Are you suggesting that receiving a JD from Chicago will not make you marketable outside Chicago? This sounds like advice you should be giving to someone thinking about U Texas. What is your basis for this remark? I've already applied ED to Chicago, and I'm discouraged by your comment. Some of the worlds brightest legal scholars are at Chicago, not HLS or Yale. I hope you can shine more light on what you meant.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:17 pm

dcpolitico wrote:
Hi ToTransferOrNot,
I'm curious about your comment. Are you suggesting that receiving a JD from Chicago will not make you marketable outside Chicago? This sounds like advice you should be giving to someone thinking about U Texas. What is your basis for this remark? I've already applied ED to Chicago, and I'm discouraged by your comment. Some of the worlds brightest legal scholars are at Chicago, not HLS or Yale. I hope you can shine more light on what you meant.

I second that. I've been operating under the impression that a U. Chicago law degree makes you marketable pretty much anywhere.

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Here is information from TLS's profile on Chicago:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/chicago-law-school.html wrote:Chicago students enjoy some of the best career prospects for law students in the country. About 650 employers usually recruit at the On-Campus Interview Program, held the two weeks prior to fall quarter. Known for its students’ focus on private practice, Chicago Law sent 68.6% of its students to National Law Journal Top-250 law firms last year — the second highest percentage of all law schools (Columbia Law reigned supreme, at 70.5%).

According to Brian Leiter’s law school rankings, The University of Chicago Law is ranked second in law schools from which the nation’s most prestigious firms hire. Students say the reasons for its success are twofold: students place extremely well in the Chicago area since it is the law top school in the city; students also place well in other cities, like New York, since firms look to hire graduates from each top school. Because of Chicago’s small class size, students have a leg up against bigger law schools, since they are competing against significantly fewer classmates for those coveted slots.

Apparently, less than 35% of Chicago Law graduates practice in Illinois. So, either the statistics are bad, or ToTransferOrNot has secret knowledge.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Sigh.

Chicago does make you portable anywhere.

It doesn't make you as portable as Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. You close those doors by doing ED at Chicago.

Also, speaking from experience, the clerkship opportunities for transfers in to Chicago are surprisingly low; at least if the various advisors are to be believed.

You're sniping at someone who transferred in to the school via ED. I got 2 callbacks, 1 offer via OCI, despite being on a secondary journal (at the time of OCI, I was the only transfer on a journal of any kind.) I'm well over the GPA for "Highest Honors"--a line that is only given once every few years--yet I'm being told that my CoA--and even district courts in Chicago/Wisconsin--possibilities are quite bleak, even though I have an ed board position on my secondary.

The reason I say only ED at Chicago if you're sure you want to practice in Chicago is because you really *don't* lose much Chicago cachet by closing off HYS if you jump on Chicago--and the life certainty that is supplied by knowing in May, instead of August--and the ability that gives you to focus on the write-on and such, is significant.

Do you folks want to stop being holier-than-thou because you read some stuff, now? Fuck's sake. Chicago is a great school, but make no mistake, you give up some stuff by closing the HYS door.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:00 pm

ToTransferOrNot:

Do you think that you would have better clerkships opportunities if you stayed at your previous school? I have found very little data on transfer getting clerkships, so your insight is obviously very well appreciated. I think im pretty similar grade and school wise as you were last year, and clerkships options are a big deal to me.

Im not ED, so maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this haha

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm

No, I certainly wouldn't have had better clerkship possibilities staying where I was 1L. That might hold for people thinking about transferring within the T14 and so on, but not for people going from strong--but still mediocre--state schools to T6s.

Don't get me wrong. If you get in to Chicago as a transfer, it is an amazing opportunity. It's an amazing school. I couldn't care less about the "blah blah brightest legal minds" because law school is law school, but my life will play out significantly different than it would have had I stayed at Wisconsin.

All I'm saying is that you need to have a REALLY compelling reason to knock yourself out of HYS. Most people who have the numbers for Chicago ED are actually borderline for HYS. On a personal level, I would have gotten in to H (and law school would have been considerably cheaper) had I not done Chicago ED. It's not the end of the world for me, because my family is in Chicago, I know I want to be in Chicago, etc. Chicago ED was built for me and people in my situation.

Just don't assume it will be all rainbows and lollipops once you get here.

Return to “Transfers”