Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dcpolitico

Bronze

Re: Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

Post by dcpolitico » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:44 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
stinger35 wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Journeybound wrote:If they only accept 15-25 transfers per year, how many will they actually accept during ED? It seems like it must be a very small number, especially since the acceptances are binding. Maybe 3-5 acceptances? 8-10 at the most?
I think there were 5 of us last year, but I can't remember for sure.
Thats so nuts to think about. Ive got NO CHANCE. hahahahahaha
Keep in mind, the entire world of people who applied to transfer to UChicago ED is probably lurking on these boards. UChicago ED is not a widely-known thing. Furthermore, a lot of people who would be competetive for it choose to forgo it because they would prefer Columbia (which has similar, if not somewhat more lax due to size, transfer admissions standards,) or want to save themselves for the holy grail (HYS--which I have advocated for ITT, ironically enough--I know that my advice alone knocked a handful of people out of the ED process--those of you who stuck with it owe me, lol).

So, if I remember correctly, I got my call in the second week of May--on a Wednesday, I believe. (I remember that I got the call while I was in a study group for my fourth final exam). I don't know if I would believe whoever in admissions said "consistent" means "same or better"--that isn't at all what was communicated to people last year, and I *really* don't think they're going to axe anyone unless you have a really bad drop in grades.

Also, for what it's worth, I talked them in to letting me keep my deposit in at GULC because I was flipping out so much about the consistent grade thing. Of course, they sent me the e-mail clearing it 5 minutes after I withdrew from GULC :lol: :lol: Saved me $500 in the end, though (there's a $500 deposit for GULC in mid-June, if I remember correctly, and I didn't get all of my grades in untilt he end of June). I think they just got tired of me panicing about it, but you might try to talk them in to it. Just please don't say "oh well you did it for TToN last year!"--the admissions people are already irritated enough with the fact that I don't sing UChicago ED's praises.
I 100% agree with TToN about the meaning of "consistent" performance. It means "don't fail" or "don't bomb" a course. I've informally received transfer admissions offers from adcoms at other schools based on my current transcript & resume, and they've told me the same thing. Don't fail or bomb your current classes, and you're "in."

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 am

TTON = who I aspire to be

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:59 am

What does bomb exams mean? Does that mean dropping down to the median? or REALLY bombing them?

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 am

shmoo597 wrote:What does bomb exams mean? Does that mean dropping down to the median? or REALLY bombing them?
Well, some schools give a grade (maybe D ?) that is above failing (F ?) but below what is necessary to graduate according to their JD reqs (C- ?). So, that is probably what is meant by bombed (i.e. you must retake the course, even though you didn't "fail").

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 am

stinger35 wrote:TTON = who I aspire to be
You clearly haven't seen the pictures of me in the BP thread :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 am

dcpolitico wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:What does bomb exams mean? Does that mean dropping down to the median? or REALLY bombing them?
Well, some schools give a grade (maybe D ?) that is above failing (F ?) but below what is necessary to graduate according to their JD reqs (C- ?). So, that is probably what is meant by bombed (i.e. you must retake the course, even though you didn't "fail").
Ok, I'm not sure I would be quite that rozy. I mean, yeah, if you get a D in a single class, you're probably tanked under the "consistent grades." However, I think that if your performance 2nd semester was (completely random guess) not top third, or some similar cut-off, you might be in trouble. If your 2nd-semester performance is median, I would be really worried.

The chances of dropping from top 5% in semester 1 to top 1/3 or median performance in semester 2, however... awfully low.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Ok, I'm not sure I would be quite that rozy. I mean, yeah, if you get a D in a single class, you're probably tanked under the "consistent grades." However, I think that if your performance 2nd semester was (completely random guess) not top third, or some similar cut-off, you might be in trouble. If your 2nd-semester performance is median, I would be really worried.

The chances of dropping from top 5% in semester 1 to top 1/3 or median performance in semester 2, however... awfully low.
I had a below median grade in my legal research and writing course for my second semester. My overall GPA was about the same, though. I didn't get in ED, but did RD. I know that LRW grades may not be given as much weight, but this is just a data point to let you know that one bad grade won't necessarily sink your application.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon May 03, 2010 12:21 am

upgrade wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Ok, I'm not sure I would be quite that rozy. I mean, yeah, if you get a D in a single class, you're probably tanked under the "consistent grades." However, I think that if your performance 2nd semester was (completely random guess) not top third, or some similar cut-off, you might be in trouble. If your 2nd-semester performance is median, I would be really worried.

I had a below median grade in my legal research and writing course for my second semester. My overall GPA was about the same, though. I didn't get in ED, but did RD. I know that LRW grades may not be given as much weight, but this is just a data point to let you know that one bad grade won't necessarily sink your application.
Yeah; I meant if your overall GPA for 2nd semester was median, not one class.

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Does anyone here daily read the Chicago Law webpage and just become jealous of all the cool things going on there? Like the student v. faculty trivia contest?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

warriorpoetx

New

Post by warriorpoetx » Wed May 05, 2010 3:41 pm

dcpolitico wrote:Does anyone here daily read the Chicago Law webpage and just become jealous of all the cool things going on there? Like the student v. faculty trivia contest?
+1

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed May 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Only potential UChicago students could be jealous of a trivia contest as opposed to, say, wine mess.

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Only potential UChicago students could be jealous of a trivia contest as opposed to, say, wine mess.
Ok, now I'm jealous of that too.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun May 09, 2010 4:46 pm

anyone know what time acceptance calls started going out last year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 pm

megaTTTron wrote:anyone know what time acceptance calls started going out last year?
during the afternoon of May 12th

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Yeah; I'd be surprised if you folks don't get word this week. Best of luck.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sun May 09, 2010 7:57 pm

It's hard to be optimistic about anything during finals...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Journeybound wrote:It's hard to be optimistic about anything during finals...
esp bc if i do miraculously get in i am certain ive already dropped far enough to get the offer reneged

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sun May 09, 2010 8:12 pm

I don't want to think about that...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Ahhh, memories of this time last year :lol:

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:31 am

Although I am expecting a ding or a defer, the fact that the .05% chance that I will get in this week is pretty damn exciting. Not to mention my last exam is on Wednesday as well.

Still, the 15 days added to the deadline makes me think that the acceptances/dings/etc will come out later than last year.

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 am

Of those accepted last year, did you have an alumni connection? What about your transfer classmates?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon May 10, 2010 8:44 am

dcpolitico wrote:Of those accepted last year, did you have an alumni connection? What about your transfer classmates?
Chicago doesn't do the whole legacy admission thing. One of the few schools that means what it says on that account.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 10, 2010 12:07 pm

under review as of today.

interalia

New

Post by interalia » Mon May 10, 2010 12:33 pm

+1

dcpolitico

Bronze