Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xferAlt

New

Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

Post by xferAlt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm

I know it's a bit early, but below is some preliminary information for those who are planning on transferring to UChi via their ED program. Post more questions/answers and I'll incorporate them to the list.

Good luck to all applying!

Admissions Website for Transfer Students

Preliminary FAQs:

Q: Can I submit a paper application?
A: No. All applications must be submitted via the LSDAS online.

Q: Is early decision binding?
A: Yes. If you are accepted, you commit to matriculate at Chicago Law.

Q: Can I still apply to GULC EA?
A: Apparently, yes. See above about binding ED.

Q: Do I need spring grades to apply?
A: No. However, all applicants accepted under the Early Decision program will be required to submit a law school transcript containing their final first-year law school grades. All offers of admission made under the Early Decision transfer program are contingent upon the Law School's receipt of a final first-year law school transcript demonstrating consistent performance and successful completion of one full year of study at an ABA-accredited law school.

Q: What materials must I submit to have a complete application?
A: Lots of things. Probably should have started assembling them yesterday.
-Completed ED Application (Available on the LSAC website ~March 16, 2010)
-Resume (Updated to include anticipated 1L summer experience)
-Personal Statement (an explanation of why you want to study law at Chicago is helpful to the Admissions Committee)
-Two letters of recommendation, sent through LSDAS, including at least one letter of recommendation from a law school professor (only two letters are required, but up to four accepted)
-Application Fee of $75
-Law school transcript (sent through LSDAS for processing)
-Law School Information Form (this is available through the LSDAS website, but must be sent directly from your law school to the admissions office)

Q: What are the important deadlines?
A: These have not been set for 2010 just yet, but last year's dates are indicative.
-Application available online ~March 16, 2010
-ED Application due ~April 15, 2010
-Decisions made by Early May

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Official Chicago ED Transfer Thread

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Ive been debating if I should apply ED to Chicago. I really think I would hate myself if i move up to the top 1 or 2 % and miss a shot at HYS. BUt at the same time it would be nice to know in June or May and be able to do the law review write on with full focus.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:12 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Ive been debating if I should apply ED to Chicago. I really think I would hate myself if i move up to the top 1 or 2 % and miss a shot at HYS. BUt at the same time it would be nice to know in June or May and be able to do the law review write on with full focus.
If you are at IU, I think you would have a really good shot at HYS without climbing into top 1-2%. Just my opinion.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 pm

I've posted a lot about the Chicago ED process before. In short... yes, there is absolutely the fear of going up to top 1-2% and hating yourself for locking the Harvard door on yourself (happened to me. Annoying, especially because transfer students are eligible for need-based aid at Harvard.)

Only apply to ED Chicago if you ABSOLUTELY KNOW you want to practice in Chicago. Alternatively, if you are top of your class at a mid-T2, you may want to consider it, because you probably aren't getting in to HYS from a mid-T2, so you have nothing to lose.

If you would be eligible for significant need-based aid at HYS, I would not apply to Chicago ED (something I wish I had known last year).

There are a lot of good things about Chicago ED. Knowing where you will be in May instead of August is obviously a plus. Being able to focus specifically on Chicago's journal write-on is a plus (though, as far as I know, no transfer students made Law Review this year; the chances of success are apparently higher at HYS). For someone who knows for a fact that they want to practice in Chicago, it can be a good move. For anyone else, I wouldn't suggest it.

LawyerToBe123

New

Post by LawyerToBe123 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 am

im just curious... even though you know in may instead of august, isn't it still contingent on your second-semester grades? will they rescind for a drop from say 3.7s to 3.6? or would it have to be pretty dramatic like getting all B's your second semester?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 am

Drop has to be dramatic: 3.7 to 3.6 isn't going to do it.

I was absolutely batshit about the whole contingent grade thing. Everyone in the office constantly tried to massage my fears on this. I don't know of anyone who got rescinded. (I can't give you any idea about the range of drop that is OK, though--I had the opposite problem, and I don't know of any ED admits who had grades drops of more than .1 or so.)

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I want to make sure to get my LoR in on time. The site says that all application material must be submitted through LSAC. However, do you think that this includes LoRs? Can I have my professor directly send them an LoR to cut down on time? Thanks!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:27 pm

anyone call yet and get an official date the application will be available on-line? I am itching to submit this thing and go back to focusing 100% on this semester.

Also, any idea on page limits for the PS / Resume?

Can we get the law school cert form only from LSAC?

What about the exact wording of their conduct question?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 pm

App is up, I just submitted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Anyone know how our registrar is supposed to fill out the form and email it to Chicago? I feel like the office here will have no idea how to do that.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm

No they will. I got a few death stares and sighs but it is a simple form. They just have to put down your rank and say that your not on academic probation.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Yea you were right, was pretty easy. Nice to have that done. Once my GULC app finally goes complete, I can relax for a bit and start focusing 100% on this semester.

Chicago is a reach but man would that be great.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm

If your school is one that does not rank after first semester, are you at a large disadvantage/not able to be considered? I'm not applying ED, but I'm asking for a friend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Bankhead wrote:If your school is one that does not rank after first semester, are you at a large disadvantage/not able to be considered? I'm not applying ED, but I'm asking for a friend.
Maybe, but I doubt it. If you don't have all A's, you probably aren't getting in ED anyway.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Chicago ED is probably much more competitive than GULC EA. If I'm 3/190 at a school in the 70s, do I even have a shot? I'm worried that Chicago ED only looks at schools in the T30 or something. Anyone see students from T2 schools get in through ED? Thanks.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 pm

upgrade wrote:
Bankhead wrote:If your school is one that does not rank after first semester, are you at a large disadvantage/not able to be considered? I'm not applying ED, but I'm asking for a friend.
Maybe, but I doubt it. If you don't have all A's, you probably aren't getting in ED anyway.
Meh, assuming that its someone from bankhead and my school, all A's is certainly not a requirement for ED.

But I don't think the lack of rank for us matters, they probably have last years class rank, and Im sure they deal with our school enough to know what the gpa means.

and for disclosure I am not applying Chicago ED

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
upgrade wrote:
Meh, assuming that its someone from bankhead and my school, all A's is certainly not a requirement for ED.

But I don't think the lack of rank for us matters, they probably have last years class rank, and Im sure they deal with our school enough to know what the gpa means.

and for disclosure I am not applying Chicago ED
I'm not sure which school you attend, but I have seen your posts in the GULC EA thread so I assume it's a school ranked > 20. The transfers, who made the ED cut, with whom I have discussed 1L grades from a school in the 20-40 range all had straight A's after their first semester. If you know someone who made the ED cut from your school last year who did not have perfect grades, then please let us know. I'm curious about this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:42 pm

I go to Indiana Bloomington, it was just speculation on my part, the only person i know who transferred last year had a 3.9 and went to Harvard.

Im top 5% and don't have straight A's, and I wouldn't think that I would be precluded from Chicago.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Journeybound wrote:Chicago ED is probably much more competitive than GULC EA. If I'm 3/190 at a school in the 70s, do I even have a shot? I'm worried that Chicago ED only looks at schools in the T30 or something. Anyone see students from T2 schools get in through ED? Thanks.
I remember reading in last years thread that the cut off seemed to be top 5% at t40. Didn't stop me from applying 1% from 80's though.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 am

upgrade wrote:
I didn't have all As: in fact, I had one B (1 cr, LRW), 1 B+ (4 cr), and 1 A- (4cr). Of course, I had 2 A+s, but still.

Edit to add: I think Wisconsin was 37 last year when I applied.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote: I didn't have all As: in fact, I had one B (1 cr, LRW), 1 B+ (4 cr), and 1 A- (4cr). Of course, I had 2 A+s, but still.

Edit to add: I think Wisconsin was 37 last year when I applied.
I thought you were one of my "all A" references. I guess I just made that up to make myself feel better for not getting in ED... =)

In any case, even if you don't get in, I think it looks better to have applied ED when it comes to RD.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 am

I agree completely on the ED making you look better for RD thing.

Sorry to correct your recollection, Upgrade. For what its worth, I question whether I would have gotten in if my school didn't rank--when you see a B, B+ and A-, without a class rank there, the assumption is probably that you're not at the top.

Also, something to think about, Chicago ED folks: One of my second semester classes had a graded midterm that was worth a fair amouth of the class grade (25%). When I got an A+ on that, I actually informed Chicago of the grade, and asked the professor in that class to write what amounted to an extra LoR--so I ended up sending Chicago 2 LoRs from fall professors, and 1 LoR from a spring professor who was willing to pull for me based on a few months of class. I'm pretty sure it helped (which, as I've said, in hindsight, wasn't such a good thing--but you folks who have already decided to apply might as well use every tool to help you in the process.)

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I agree completely on the ED making you look better for RD thing.

Sorry to correct your recollection, Upgrade. For what its worth, I question whether I would have gotten in if my school didn't rank--when you see a B, B+ and A-, without a class rank there, the assumption is probably that you're not at the top.

Also, something to think about, Chicago ED folks: One of my second semester classes had a graded midterm that was worth a fair amouth of the class grade (25%). When I got an A+ on that, I actually informed Chicago of the grade, and asked the professor in that class to write what amounted to an extra LoR--so I ended up sending Chicago 2 LoRs from fall professors, and 1 LoR from a spring professor who was willing to pull for me based on a few months of class. I'm pretty sure it helped (which, as I've said, in hindsight, wasn't such a good thing--but you folks who have already decided to apply might as well use every tool to help you in the process.)
Oceans rise; Cities fall; TToN kind of regrets Chicago ED since it meant not finding out if he had a chance at Harvard ;)

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Ha, it's true. I've been pretty honest about that, since the numbers say I was better than a 50% chance to make it in after 2nd semester (my grades went up significantly--got A+, A+, A, B+, A- LRW, left me top 1% instead of 3%).

The biggest regret I have about it, honestly, is that transfer students are eligible for need-based aid at Harvard. Since I'm a poor, I would have probably gotten 20k a year out of them--going to H would have been cheaper than Chi. Oh, and there's the whole H thing--but honestly, given the grades I've gotten at Chicago, unless I would have managed to write on to LR at H or S, I'm probably in just as good a position for clerkships here as I would have been at H, and that's the only real difference. Already got my almost-dream-firm for 2L, and I don't think being at H instead of UChi would have broken K&E for me.

Client8

New

Post by Client8 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 am

great info on here.

question: how did you all provide your current law school registrar/dean an electronic version of the supplemental form (dean certification)? UChicago instructions explicitly request that the registrar fill out the form and submit it electronically via email, but i can't seem to download the form off LSAC in a manner that would allow the registrar to electronically fill in and email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”