Transferring into the t14, OCI, career prospects.. [UPDATED]

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kings84_wr

Re: Transferring into the t14, OCI, career prospects, etc.

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:00 pm

This makes me wonder if I should weigh in location with my transfer options. So Indiana to U Chicago may be much easier to get a job in the midwest then say Indiana to Berkeley for getting a job back home in CA?

Postby 270910 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I have a # of friends at NU that had very similar transfer experiences. This is not uncommon. During OCI, many firms failed to give full faith and credit to transfers from lowly rated T2's that finished in the top 5-10%. The thought process being that the firms wouldn't have hired them in the first place so why hire them now just b/c they transfered to NU.

THAT BLOWS; reading threads on here normally you would think transferring up is like the ultimate score.

I think it still is. Think about it this way:

Old school = 90% strike out rate, new school = 50% strike out rate

Of course transfers are going to have problems just like everyone else at the new school. Welcome to the economy, it fucking sucks. But the name of the new school will never go away, and I'd wager that their odds going in to interviews at the new school were still better - at least for national biglaw type jobs that so many want.

Don't forget the chance to clerk, etc.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm

disco_barred wrote:
arhmcpo wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I have a # of friends at NU that had very similar transfer experiences. This is not uncommon. During OCI, many firms failed to give full faith and credit to transfers from lowly rated T2's that finished in the top 5-10%. The thought process being that the firms wouldn't have hired them in the first place so why hire them now just b/c they transfered to NU.

THAT BLOWS; reading threads on here normally you would think transferring up is like the ultimate score.

I think it still is. Think about it this way:

Old school = 90% strike out rate, new school = 50% strike out rate

Of course transfers are going to have problems just like everyone else at the new school. Welcome to the economy, it fucking sucks. But the name of the new school will never go away, and I'd wager that their odds going in to interviews at the new school were still better - at least for national biglaw type jobs that so many want.

Don't forget the chance to clerk, etc.

Your odds are undoubtedly better of getting something out of OCI by transferring to a t14 since you get to interview with a lot of firms that you might not have ever gotten a look at from had you not transferred. However, it definitely is a balancing act because if you are looking at something like a full scholarship to remain at your old school (or even close to it), versus paying another $140K to transfer, it's definitely something to consider carefully (i.e. that you might be paying $140K for 6 OCI interviews and none of those might work out -- and outside of OCI it is really tough to get interviews anywhere). I think the answer to whether it is worth it to transfer is a lot more clear if you are paying sticker at your old school and they don't offer you any money to stay (even after you show them where you got in and tell them you are considering transferring). Also, keep in mind that if you want to do PI or academia then you might be in a different situation as well. For me, I want to work in bankruptcy, finance, and/or PE at a law firm (even if a smaller one), and my background strongly shows that I am not the type of person that went to law school to go work at a county prosecutor's office (i.e. I have a strong background in business), so it's hard to bite down on the fact that I may never get to do what I went to law school wanting to practice.

What transferring into the t14 is not is a golden ticket like it used to be a year or two ago, where pretty much all transfers did really well in OCI. Unfortunately, it's now become a really big gamble (and the downside of losing the coin flip is really bad, which is really starting to soak in for me).

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 pm

What makes me angry about this whole situation is that by doing that I will have effectively thrown out both my BSB and MBA degrees, as well as my law degree, since I will have no possibility of getting a job in the business or legal field after spending 10 years working at a DMV.

I am not sure that transferring itself is at issue here. Obviously, tranferring to a T14 school is not a panacea for everything. Prospective employers do look at way more than degrees and school you are coming from. Work experience matters a lot. The lack of relevant work experience most likely killed your chances here. By relevant, I am not referring only to that first summer or to legal work, but also to what you did prior. Someone with an MBA degree would typically have at least one internship and then a position using that MBA degree. I know that sometimes personal circumstances can really hold us back and we can get stuck in certain jobs or places despite our best judgment, but employers don't care about that. You are competing with people who have a lot of interesting work experience behind them. Not to mention that you need good references who can talk at length about your skills.

I had a graduate degree from an Ivy school and I was an excellent undergrad and grad student but the lack of experience deemed relevant by employers killed my chances. I was lucky enough that they actually bothered to tell me.

bkthunder

Postby bkthunder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 pm

t14underground wrote:Your odds are undoubtedly better of getting something out of OCI by transferring to a t14 since you get to interview with a lot of firms that you might not have ever gotten a look at from had you not transferred. However, it definitely is a balancing act because if you are looking at something like a full scholarship to remain at your old school (or even close to it), versus paying another $140K to transfer, it's definitely something to consider carefully (i.e. that you might be paying $140K for 6 OCI interviews and none of those might work out -- and outside of OCI it is really tough to get interviews anywhere).

As someone who is trying to transfer into the t-14 from a solid regional school that places well in the region I want to work in, this thread is definitely making me think. It seems like a lot of people are suggesting that transferring just buys you more interviews (particularly when leaving behind a substantial scholarship, as would be my case), but what about the opportunities that could come down the road from having a significantly better school on your resume? I know laterals are much more difficult to do in terms of getting in the door at a firm than OCI, but I just feel like people are undervaluing the opportunities that could present themselves down the road with a J.D. from a better school. I am sympathetic to your situation OP, it really sounds like you got the short end of the stick and it's tough to imagine how your experience could have gone so bad given your great grades.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:51 pm

andreea7 wrote:What makes me angry about this whole situation is that by doing that I will have effectively thrown out both my BSB and MBA degrees, as well as my law degree, since I will have no possibility of getting a job in the business or legal field after spending 10 years working at a DMV.

I am not sure that transferring itself is at issue here. Obviously, tranferring to a T14 school is not a panacea for everything. Prospective employers do look at way more than degrees and school you are coming from. Work experience matters a lot. The lack of relevant work experience most likely killed your chances here. By relevant, I am not referring only to that first summer or to legal work, but also to what you did prior. Someone with an MBA degree would typically have at least one internship and then a position using that MBA degree. I know that sometimes personal circumstances can really hold us back and we can get stuck in certain jobs or places despite our best judgment, but employers don't care about that. You are competing with people who have a lot of interesting work experience behind them. Not to mention that you need good references who can talk at length about your skills.

I had a graduate degree from an Ivy school and I was an excellent undergrad and grad student but the lack of experience deemed relevant by employers killed my chances. I was lucky enough that they actually bothered to tell me.

I did a did an business related internship at a fortune 50 company the summer prior to graduation. I actually had an open job offer there as well.

I guess one thing I am trying to convey here is that by working your first summer doing something legal is not necessarily going to mean that you will get an offer at a firm after transferring (even though, personally, I think I was toast before OCI even began because of it).

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 pm

bkthunder wrote:
t14underground wrote:Your odds are undoubtedly better of getting something out of OCI by transferring to a t14 since you get to interview with a lot of firms that you might not have ever gotten a look at from had you not transferred. However, it definitely is a balancing act because if you are looking at something like a full scholarship to remain at your old school (or even close to it), versus paying another $140K to transfer, it's definitely something to consider carefully (i.e. that you might be paying $140K for 6 OCI interviews and none of those might work out -- and outside of OCI it is really tough to get interviews anywhere).

As someone who is trying to transfer into the t-14 from a solid regional school that places well in the region I want to work in, this thread is definitely making me think. It seems like a lot of people are suggesting that transferring just buys you more interviews (particularly when leaving behind a substantial scholarship, as would be my case), but what about the opportunities that could come down the road from having a significantly better school on your resume? I know laterals are much more difficult to do in terms of getting in the door at a firm than OCI, but I just feel like people are undervaluing the opportunities that could present themselves down the road with a J.D. from a better school. I am sympathetic to your situation OP, it really sounds like you got the short end of the stick and it's tough to imagine how your experience could have gone so bad given your great grades.

I really thought the grass would be a lot greener on the t14 side of the fence then it is :(. I mean it's really easy to get caught up looking at how well t14 students did in the past (pretty much the only data available), and talk to t14 and non-t14 grads who will tell you things like "you would be an idiot to not transfer, forget about the money, you're job opportunities will be so much better" (early 2000s t2 grad), and "large firms were literally were handing out jobs when I graduated" (90s t14 grad from my current school). I'm not sure, maybe things will get better eventually, but right now they are definitely not what I had expected from being at a t10. I mean it would have been nice to at least have gotten interviews at a lot of these midsize firms and then just be able to write things off as being a bad interviewer. But the fact that I never even got to the interview stage almost anywhere is the thing that I find bothersome.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm

I know this is a weird situation OP, but you are top 5% at a t10 school and you have another full year before you hit the market. I just can't fathom you not getting a decent legal job at that time considering these schools have like an upper 90's % placement rating AT GRADUATION. I seriously doubt many of those go back to their jobs at the DMV without even looking for a legal job, thus, most of those graduates have legal jobs. I think you may be panicking.

Also, what about networking? It sounds like you just sent out a crap load of apps. but did not really talk to anyone. Maybe it is time to start going to events and making connections. If you network for the next year and a half I'm sure top 5% at a t10 is going to open some people's eyes.

A guy on here (Matthies I think) went to a lower ranked school in this economy and said he had many different positions available to him b/c of his networking and he was like median or something at his school (a non t10 at that).

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:21 pm

A'nold wrote:I know this is a weird situation OP, but you are top 5% at a t10 school and you have another full year before you hit the market. I just can't fathom you not getting a decent legal job at that time considering these schools have like an upper 90's % placement rating AT GRADUATION. I seriously doubt many of those go back to their jobs at the DMV without even looking for a legal job, thus, most of those graduates have legal jobs. I think you may be panicking.

Also, what about networking? It sounds like you just sent out a crap load of apps. but did not really talk to anyone. Maybe it is time to start going to events and making connections. If you network for the next year and a half I'm sure top 5% at a t10 is going to open some people's eyes.

A guy on here (Matthies I think) went to a lower ranked school in this economy and said he had many different positions available to him b/c of his networking and he was like median or something at his school (a non t10 at that).

Have to agree with this. At a t10 school, top 5%, you literally have a leg up on 90% of the other graduating lawyers in the entire country. I realize you can't compete with those with SA's or HYS grads. But seriously, I just can't even imagine not being able to get a job with those credentials. I interned at a small civil litigation firm and there were new attorneys there making 75-80k, from T2's and just OK grades.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm

A'nold wrote:I know this is a weird situation OP, but you are top 5% at a t10 school and you have another full year before you hit the market. I just can't fathom you not getting a decent legal job at that time considering these schools have like an upper 90's % placement rating AT GRADUATION. I seriously doubt many of those go back to their jobs at the DMV without even looking for a legal job, thus, most of those graduates have legal jobs. I think you may be panicking.

Yeah, I keep hearing that I'll find something eventually, and hope that's true. On the bright side, I actually got a lot of personalized rejection letters from the firms I applied (as oppose to the standard form letters), which has to be to some extent a good sign for next year (like I said, all of the firms I applied to in the spring hired in the fall out of the one's that were hiring).

As for networking, I am definitely looking into that. I was actually talking to one of my classmates that said he had pretty bad grades last year and suggested a few things. So far I've really only sent emails out to alumni and haven't gotten any responses. I want to try and sign up for the local bar association where I ultimately want to work and volunteer a bit there and see if that helps. I guess the hardest thing about that is trying to coordinate actually doing that since my school is pretty far away from the city I want to work in (in some ways I think even someone who attends NYLS and wants to work in NYC is a bit better off because of the difficulty networking from a "national school" that isn't in the same state you want to ultimately work in).

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 pm

stinger35 wrote:

Have to agree with this. At a t10 school, top 5%, you literally have a leg up on 90% of the other graduating lawyers in the entire country. I realize you can't compete with those with SA's or HYS grads. But seriously, I just can't even imagine not being able to get a job with those credentials. I interned at a small civil litigation firm and there were new attorneys there making 75-80k, from T2's and just OK grades.

Wow. I would be ecstatic about making $75-80K /year at graduation.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm

t14underground wrote:
As for networking, I am definitely looking into that.

After UG, your MBA, and 50% of your JD? Ok. Whatever.

bkthunder

Postby bkthunder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Anyone have any additional thoughts on what paying more to attend a better school actually gets you? I'm not convinced that you're just buying interviews that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. I feel like there are some intangibles involved that are getting overshadowed, like the fact that you can be proud of having graduated from a better school for the rest of your life, and possibly more/better prospects later on in your career. I won't pretend like the prestige of a t-14 school wouldn't be a selling point for me. Obviously these other factors lessen in significance when faced with a shitty economy and the prospect of graduating with a lot of debt, but I feel like later down the road when things work out (and I'm convinced that they will for you OP), you will have been happy with your choice to attend your new school. Maybe this is all naive/wishful potential transfer thinking optimism, but I guess I'm just saying there might be more intangibles with T3/T10/T14 school than people are suggesting.

roadkilllaw

Postby roadkilllaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:53 pm

OP, I bookmarked this thread so that I can get updates on how it all ends up for you after you finish your JD. Please update after 3L, as I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a great position even though things seem bleak right now :)

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 pm

arhmcpo wrote:

I still plan to transfer though!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Even if transfering doesn't immediately improve job prospects as appeas to be the case with the OP, I think that transfering should merit consideration for prestige alone. Indeed, you will forever be marked by where you went to law school (again, to my point of wanting to transfer myself --- I don't want to regret telling people where I went to law school).

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:26 pm

bkthunder wrote:Anyone have any additional thoughts on what paying more to attend a better school actually gets you? I'm not convinced that you're just buying interviews that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. I feel like there are some intangibles involved that are getting overshadowed, like the fact that you can be proud of having graduated from a better school for the rest of your life, and possibly more/better prospects later on in your career. I won't pretend like the prestige of a t-14 school wouldn't be a selling point for me. Obviously these other factors lessen in significance when faced with a shitty economy and the prospect of graduating with a lot of debt, but I feel like later down the road when things work out (and I'm convinced that they will for you OP), you will have been happy with your choice to attend your new school. Maybe this is all naive/wishful potential transfer thinking optimism, but I guess I'm just saying there might be more intangibles with T3/T10/T14 school than people are suggesting.

My thinking exactly. And, I would be SHOCKED if op didn't get something great by the time he graduates. 2L summers are a tricky thing from what I've heard and it seems like transfers get it double.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
t14underground wrote:
As for networking, I am definitely looking into that.

After UG, your MBA, and 50% of your JD? Ok. Whatever.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? It's not like I didn't talk to people in my MBA program, many of which were working full-time at decent jobs but just looking to break through that glass ceiling for executive work. However, that doesn't really help me in the realm of legal employment. If you mean that I should have already been on the ball with networking 1L year, you are probably right. But how many 1Ls here actually have done significant networking in addition to school and everything else here?

chadwick218 wrote:I still plan to transfer though!

I can't imagine your job prospects being anything but good if you have the grades to transfer up from NU (a school that is already in the t14, national, and well respected). Where would you even transfer to, HYS?

roadkilllaw wrote:OP, I bookmarked this thread so that I can get updates on how it all ends up for you after you finish your JD. Please update after 3L, as I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a great position even though things seem bleak right now :)

I will definitely try to remember to post updates next fall around 3L recruiting season. I keep telling myself I have to find something next year that's better then personal injury / medical malpractice at $37K /year (even though it's obviously not going to be biglaw). It's not like my goals are unreasonable, as a previous poster mentioned he interned at a firm where new associates were making $75-80K year doing civil litigation. [fingers crossed I guess.] To be completely honest, I would be okay with even starting out at $50K /year if it weren't for the student debt (well, that and the fact that it's unheard of for small firms to do corporate restructuring bankruptcy and/or finance, which is something I want to do).

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:24 pm

t14underground wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I still plan to transfer though!

I can't imagine your job prospects being anything but good if you have the grades to transfer up from NU (a school that is already in the t14, national, and well respected). Where would you even transfer to, HYS?

HYSCCNBP. I figure that I will have a job. My reasons for transfering are aside from that.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 am

A'nold wrote:decent legal job at that time considering these schools have like an upper 90's % placement rating AT GRADUATION.

Is that "at graduation" stat from US News? I think those stats are from 2007 or 2008 right? Well maybe that "at graduation" stat will actually be much lower for those who did OCI this year and last year? I'm just speculating here...

I'm a 0L not thinking about transfering. Right now I'm looking at a T10 for full-price... I'm trying to justify the 180,000 in debt, but reading threads like this... I'd be interested to know which school you go to, if you want to PM me. It doesn't seem like your career office was very helpful, and if we are looking at the same school, this might just make my decision a bit easier.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 am

OP, how did you bid during OCI? The common theme for my friends who transferred and pretty much struck out during OCI was overbidding on elite, V25, firms. They received 5-10 on campus interviews, but none of these interviews translated into a callback. However, the friends that seemed to target the bottom of the NLJ250 did quite well. They had 15-25 interviews and a dozen or so callbacks.

t14underground

Postby t14underground » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

chadwick218 wrote:OP, how did you bid during OCI? The common theme for my friends who transferred and pretty much struck out during OCI was overbidding on elite, V25, firms. They received 5-10 on campus interviews, but none of these interviews translated into a callback. However, the friends that seemed to target the bottom of the NLJ250 did quite well. They had 15-25 interviews and a dozen or so callbacks.

Like I previously mentioned, I "reached" on 5 bids throughout my list of bids and those were all v25 firms. I was hoping to get only 3 of those and planning on having around 20 interviews (because the CSO materials said to expect 20-22 interviews). When the interview list was released I ended up getting all the v25 firms, including the ones on the bottom of my bid list (because literally almost no one bid on these firms). So all in all, I ended up with 6 interviews with firms I had a shot at (I think some of them were even outside of the NLJ250, but most were firms that typically hired around the median or lower out of those 6).

doinmybest- I wouldn't get too caught up with the USNews employment stats. That percentage included people who left law school and worked at McDonalds afterwords (it just looks at whether you are employed or not and it doesn't matter if it is legal). Not sure why you think why my OCI/fall recruiting would make your decision easier. If you come here, or any t10, and make top 10% you would be in a lot better of a position than I am because you would be starting out at the t10 and have actual grades from there during OCI. Personally, if I could do it all over again and start out here, I would. I mean it's hard to plan on being at the top of your class when entering law school but that's exactly what you need to do at any t14 law school nowadays if you plan to find a job at a firm (except maybe HYS). Also, I just wanted to note if you are looking at paying sticker, you will be well over $180K in debt when you factor in interest and everything else (probably closer to $200-220K) -- but it's worth it as a 1L, just do better then 90% of your class for that one year and odds are you will do really well leaving law school.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Do you think you would have done better if you had applied to the lower NLJ250 firms and regional markets exclusively? I have no dreams of getting the highest prestige firms, just the money that comes with it for paying down my debt and future career options, if I can make it.

Otherwise it's to the gov. for me, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering that was my goal coming into ls.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:07 pm

A'nold wrote:Do you think you would have done better if you had applied to the lower NLJ250 firms and regional markets exclusively? I have no dreams of getting the highest prestige firms, just the money that comes with it for paying down my debt and future career options, if I can make it.

Otherwise it's to the gov. for me, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering that was my goal coming into ls.

I plan to approach OCI by targeting the lower NLJ250 firms and hoping to secure as many callbacks as possible. Despite finishing in the top 10-15%, I simply don't trust my school's placement statistics (then again, who would trust a TTT).

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I think the moral of the story is that the school you transfer from is taken into great considation by employers. So, if you transfer from a T1 school to a higher school there isn't as much risk as if you transfer from T2,3,4. Still this really sucks. In the long term, you will do well b/c your diploma will be from a great school and you'll have great grades. Just be patient and start NETWORKING. Someone somwhere will definitely want you in Biglaw if you look hard enough with your new creds.

Return to “Transfers”