OperaSoprano wrote: A'nold wrote: disco_barred wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:I mostly hear that if you do really well at one law school, you usually will do well at a higher ranked school.....usually. That is the risk of losing your gpa.
Just a quick comment: It's worth realizing that the poster said 'top 25%'.
The people who tear it up - get a GPA in the 3.8+ range where most of their grades were solid A range, have the system down.
The difference between top 5% and top 25% at my school at least is actually an enormous roughly .33 grade points.It's definitely respectable in comparison to others at the current school
but it really doesn't represent a commanding grasp of the law school process in an objective sense.
Does that make sense? I think the odds of continued high performance increase the higher one's initial performance, because what rank a person has can often exaggerate actual performance on exams.
Yeah, that's what I was saying above. Top 25%, while good, is not like slaughtering the curve either. It seems like only the top 10% or so of the class get the whole "thinking like a lawyer" thing down. Top 25% seems to me like somebody that outworked the other 75% of the class that are still struggling to apply law to fact the way that professors want it and give A's for but they themselves are still not necessarily completely "getting it" all the way, ya know? I could be completely wrong here and it could vary from school rank to school rank but this is kind of just my impression.
Disclaimer: I'm not claiming to be a law school god or anything, I just really, really tried to listen and apply the stuff that poster like arrow have shared with us.
So, are you guys saying that the higher your GPA, the better your chances are of keeping it consistent? Top 10% is the threshold? Interesting stuff... I want to do better this semester. I didn't do badly, but I am not in the 3.8+ range, so by TLS standards I underperformed abysmally. (We curve to around a 3.17)
And yes, you are a law school god. Have you looked at your transcript, A'nold?
LOL Opera, you crack me up. I am the Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo of law schools.
Anyway, I my top 10% guess was just speculation and it might be lower at higher ranked schools and higher at lower ranked schools. I would say that the top 5% of students here probably know how exam taking works and "get it" but there might be like 20% at Fordham, for example.
I think that disco-barred and I picked up on the same thing though for a reason. It just seems like at schools like CUA, for example, top 25% can be acheived from working your butt off in comparison to the other 90% + of students who still write exams without "getting it" or it "clicking."
Edit: And LULZ at you "underperforming." You and I are probably the most self critical people I've ever known, haha. If I start feeling bad about the curve here or that I'm "only #1 in MY section" or something like that, I should just look at your posts and see how dumb that sounds! You should do the same with my posts, haha.