Letters of Recommendation

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
engineer

Letters of Recommendation

Postby engineer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 am

I'm trying to figure out exactly which professors to ask for a transfer letter of recommendation, and after reading Arrow's awesome post again, I'm becoming more and more nervous about this awkward ordeal. However, I think I may have gotten a break: my highest grade last semester was in a class where the professor, a visiting professor, isn't returning next year. This prof wants to remain in academia, but is having some trouble finding a job, it seems. At first glance, this professor seems like the PERFECT candidate to ask for a letter, but then again, could a letter like that do more harm than good?

Alternatively, I'm considering asking the prof who gave me my worst grade--one that was 20 points below my average and one that appears to be an anomaly. I talked to that professor for a good hour or so about the class, and have been regularly going to his office hours this semester. It looks like his exam was just ridiculously easy, making grading an extremely arbitrary game...that said, could a letter from him, someone who gave me a terrible grade, do anything to mitigate the damage caused to my GPA?

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Postby 270910 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 am

engineer wrote:I'm trying to figure out exactly which professors to ask for a transfer letter of recommendation, and after reading Arrow's awesome post again, I'm becoming more and more nervous about this awkward ordeal. However, I think I may have gotten a break: my highest grade last semester was in a class where the professor, a visiting professor, isn't returning next year. This prof wants to remain in academia, but is having some trouble finding a job, it seems. At first glance, this professor seems like the PERFECT candidate to ask for a letter, but then again, could a letter like that do more harm than good?

Alternatively, I'm considering asking the prof who gave me my worst grade--one that was 20 points below my average and one that appears to be an anomaly. I talked to that professor for a good hour or so about the class, and have been regularly going to his office hours this semester. It looks like his exam was just ridiculously easy, making grading an extremely arbitrary game...that said, could a letter from him, someone who gave me a terrible grade, do anything to mitigate the damage caused to my GPA?

You've probably got less than half a dozen professors. At this point, if you wanted to be strategic, why not just email them all and then feel out their responses?

etudiantededroit

Postby etudiantededroit » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:55 pm

On the off chance that I end up applying to transfer, would it be appropriate to ask a legal writing professor (in a graded legal writing class) for a letter of recommendation? Or do schools typically prefer LORs from only the substantive classes? I'm not one to volunteer much in class, so even in my best classes I'm not sure whether the profs would be able to write much more than how I did on the final. Any thoughts?

engineer

Postby engineer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:20 pm

etudiantededroit wrote:On the off chance that I end up applying to transfer, would it be appropriate to ask a legal writing professor (in a graded legal writing class) for a letter of recommendation? Or do schools typically prefer LORs from only the substantive classes? I'm not one to volunteer much in class, so even in my best classes I'm not sure whether the profs would be able to write much more than how I did on the final. Any thoughts?

What I did in undergrad was send, along with a copy of my resume, a brief (~1 page single spaced) note that included my aspirations and what I plan to do in life. This, hopefully, helped them write a meaningful letter. I intend to do the same this time around, as well.

Return to “Transfers”