Official Georgetown EA thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
johndoe

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby johndoe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 am

Anyone know when we should expect to hear back? In 2008 (per yahoo's transfer database), people heard back from 4/7 - 4/9. In 2009, people heard back around 4/23.

LW2010

Postby LW2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Last edited by LW2010 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

I like the nature of this conversation, although I'm sure someone will chastise us on the absurd nature of trying to guess what day decisions will be released. My random guess is the 19th will be decision day.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 pm

The weird thing about me is that I usually freak out and lose sleep just anticipating decision dates. For this one though I've been grades obsessed and been in briefland for the past few weeks so I really didn't even notice March flying by. I just kept feeling like "eh, we'll all hear back in a couple months." Now we are about to enter that month and I must admit my blood pressure may have rose a little upon that realization, haha.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

A'nold wrote:The weird thing about me is that I usually freak out and lose sleep just anticipating decision dates. For this one though I've been grades obsessed and been in briefland for the past few weeks so I really didn't even notice March flying by. I just kept feeling like "eh, we'll all hear back in a couple months." Now we are about to enter that month and I must admit my blood pressure may have rose a little upon that realization, haha.

We're twins.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm

apper123 wrote:
A'nold wrote:The weird thing about me is that I usually freak out and lose sleep just anticipating decision dates. For this one though I've been grades obsessed and been in briefland for the past few weeks so I really didn't even notice March flying by. I just kept feeling like "eh, we'll all hear back in a couple months." Now we are about to enter that month and I must admit my blood pressure may have rose a little upon that realization, haha.

We're twins.

In so many ways, except that you > me. :)

LW2010

Postby LW2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Last edited by LW2010 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR00576

Postby JR00576 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey all. Sorry to swing the conversation in a new direction, but was wondering something that you all may help me figure out. I was wondering whether it matters that like 6 people from my school are applying EA. Will the adcoms only look at rank and school prestige, or will they be less inclined to admit qualified candidates from the same school? Thanks for your help!

bigred87

Postby bigred87 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 pm

Hey everyone!

I've actually been reading and keeping up with this thread for a few weeks now, so just wanted to say hi and good luck to all. Also applying EA, keeping my fingers crossed but not expecting anything. I applied back in early-mid March right before the deadline, and my app went complete a few weeks ago, which feels great!!!!! Also really paranoid in that keep wanting to call the admissions office, ask when they expect decisions, make sure they actually have everything though it says complete, etc. :lol: but i need to stop.

Anyway, I'm at a top 70 or so law school, from what I know I'm 4-5%, book award in one subject and ivy undergrad, so I'm hoping to stand a chance. Any of you find yourself fantasizing about moving to DC throughout your day? I know I do sometime--what an AWESOME city!! I love it!...anyway, good luck to all, and we should think of it on the positive side..the worst is that we all did really well our first semester of law school. Now that's nothing to be mad about!

willnumber85

Postby willnumber85 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 pm

JR00576 wrote:Hey all. Sorry to swing the conversation in a new direction, but was wondering something that you all may help me figure out. I was wondering whether it matters that like 6 people from my school are applying EA. Will the adcoms only look at rank and school prestige, or will they be less inclined to admit qualified candidates from the same school? Thanks for your help!

I'd like to know this too

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:24 pm

willnumber85 wrote:
JR00576 wrote:Hey all. Sorry to swing the conversation in a new direction, but was wondering something that you all may help me figure out. I was wondering whether it matters that like 6 people from my school are applying EA. Will the adcoms only look at rank and school prestige, or will they be less inclined to admit qualified candidates from the same school? Thanks for your help!

I'd like to know this too

It does seem like schools limit the number accepted from different schools, at least from what I've seen on transferapps. I could be completely wrong but it looks like someone in the top 10% from, say, American vs. like someone in the top 10% from a similarly ranked school has a harder time b/c GULC gets SO MANY transfer apps from American. The same top 10% student at American may get into other t14's but because of the sheer number of applicants to GULC it looks like you have to be ranked higher than what you'd normally think for a lower t14. Once again, this is just something I've noticed and it might be completely innacurate.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:05 pm

A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:

We're twins.

Our numbers are a lot closer than you give yourself credit for.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 pm

The only real factors are Law school grades and the Law School.

LOR's, PS and other stuff, can hurt you if they are terrible, but they would have to really be amazing to help.

This isn't really correct. For better or worse, transfer decisions are not the hard numbers games that 1L admissions are, so the softs are more important in differentiating candidates. And LOR's are more significant for transfers because they're written by law professors rather than a TTT undergrad prof in a TTT major. Something to keep in mind.
Last edited by Wooster33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm

apper123 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:

We're twins.

Our numbers are a lot closer than you give yourself credit for.

Thanks. :)

My wife and I just freaked each other out talking about all of this and the very, VERY tiny timeline that comes with transferring. If we are accepted to GULC, we might just call it good and plan on moving to D.C. Does anyone think that'd be a mistake? We have a baby and we want to make sure we get a place somewhere safe and comfortable for our 2 years at our new school. It would be a dream to get into GULC and I believe I'd be more than happy graduating from there. I have a long shot dream chance at Michigan and I might take a stab at Berkeley b/c it's near family, but I really think GULC would be more than adequate to provide a happy life for us.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:25 am

My wife and I just freaked each other out talking about all of this and the very, VERY tiny timeline that comes with transferring. If we are accepted to GULC, we might just call it good and plan on moving to D.C. Does anyone think that'd be a mistake? We have a baby and we want to make sure we get a place somewhere safe and comfortable for our 2 years at our new school. It would be a dream to get into GULC and I believe I'd be more than happy graduating from there. I have a long shot dream chance at Michigan and I might take a stab at Berkeley b/c it's near family, but I really think GULC would be more than adequate to provide a happy life for us

I can't remember your numbers exactly but I don't think you'll be accepted EA (EA at GULC is usually reserved for top kids in top 50 schools, or very tip top of some TTTs). However, you will definitely be deferred and if you maintain similar grades you will probably make the cut in regular decision.

If your grades improve significantly, you may want to delay, but I don't think you're going beyond Berkeley/Mich/UVA (though even with top 5% from TTT, I'd still say go for those). So I would wait until you get your grades if you have an EA decision, and if you improve or even get simialr gardes, and Mich or UVA is worth the hassle, then go for it. But moving with a family sucks, so no I don't think you're crazy.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 am

Wooster33 wrote:
My wife and I just freaked each other out talking about all of this and the very, VERY tiny timeline that comes with transferring. If we are accepted to GULC, we might just call it good and plan on moving to D.C. Does anyone think that'd be a mistake? We have a baby and we want to make sure we get a place somewhere safe and comfortable for our 2 years at our new school. It would be a dream to get into GULC and I believe I'd be more than happy graduating from there. I have a long shot dream chance at Michigan and I might take a stab at Berkeley b/c it's near family, but I really think GULC would be more than adequate to provide a happy life for us

I can't remember your numbers exactly but I don't think you'll be accepted EA (EA at GULC is reserved for top kids in top 50 schools). However, you will definitely be deferred and if you maintain similar grades you will probably make the cut in regular decision.

If your grades improve significantly, you may want to delay, but I don't think you're going beyond Berkeley/Mich/UVA (though with top 5% I'd still say go for those, but your chances are not great). So I would wait until you get your grades if you ahve an EA decision, if you improve or even get simialr gardes, and Mich or UVA is worth the hassle, then go for it. But moving with a family sucks, so no I don't think you're crazy.

See, I've been wondering about my chances at EA. I applied to ft/pt and would love to even go pt but I kind of figured that EA went to people in the top 5% from top 50 schools. Eh, I hope I do as well or better this semester. At least my (hopefully) great grade in LRW (which is worth like double credits this semester) will set the tone and propel me above last semester's GPA.

It is going to be a crazy summer if my grades stay the same or go up. I feel bad for my wife! She's really supportive and awesome though and with help from the extended family I think we can make a late move work......hopefully. :)

Edit: also wondering if anyone has any thought on this:

I've noticed that some schools seem to think more of somebody "in the top 4%" or something when there are very few students in the class. Like, I remember a couple of transfers that were ranked like 7/95 doing a lot better than someone that was like top 7% at a school with a class of like 300. Anyone else notice that and does anyone have an explanation for why that might be?

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 am

First, you very may well make GULC EA, I just don't think so from the numbers. But softs count for a lot, too. At most schools there is significant movement after second semester. Some people get cocky, some people realize their mistakes and redouble their efforts. So in an EA type of situation I think schools are reluctant to take any students except those who have received the very best grades. So redouble the efforts and hope for the best.

Your point about class size and rank I think is true but probably isn't a huge effect. Smaller class size means a few exceptional students can really move your rankings and percentile (but also the opposite, a relative paucity of strong students in a class means your rank is inflated). If a class has a few very strong students that could move you from first to fifth just like that. And if the class is less than 100 that student is now outside of the top 5%.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 am

Wooster33 wrote:First, you very may well make GULC EA, I just don't think so from the numbers. But softs count for a lot, too. At most schools there is significant movement after second semester. Some people get cocky, some people realize their mistakes and redouble their efforts. So in an EA type of situation I think schools are reluctant to take any students except those who have received the very best grades. So redouble the efforts and hope for the best.

Your point about class size and rank I think is true but probably isn't a huge effect. Smaller class size means a few exceptional students can really move your rankings and percentile (but also the opposite, a relative paucity of strong students in a class means your rank is inflated). If a class has a few very strong students that could move you from first to fifth just like that. And if the class is less than 100 that student is now outside of the top 5%.

Barely over 100 at my school. I hear you though on them waiting for 2nd semester grades. I definitely hope for but do not expect an EA acceptance.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:31 am

Wooster33 wrote:
The only real factors are Law school grades and the Law School.

LOR's, PS and other stuff, can hurt you if they are terrible, but they would have to really be amazing to help.

This isn't really correct. For better or worse, transfer decisions are not the hard numbers games that 1L admissions are, so the softs are more important in differentiating candidates. And LOR's are more significant for transfers because they're written by law professors rather than a TTT undergrad prof in a TTT major. Something to keep in mind.

Interesting, I don't really get the argument about LOR's. Im positive that my U-grad profs from a TTT major and school, knew me much better, and spent far more time then my law school profs did writing the letters. I dont really see the value in getting a letter from someone more prestigious that knew you for one semester.

Also I stand by that Grades and Law school are the only factors. Yeah incredible softs can help, but most of us don't have those anyways. Really if you look at the limited data and statement by law schools, the only consistent feature really is class rank and school rank.

progeny

Postby progeny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 am

Last edited by progeny on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:11 am

progeny wrote:Erased for progeny.

Sorry but it matters what t4 when you are talking about t4's. Give us like a 3 school range. Example: if you go to Cooley, Florida Coastal, or Appalachian, I would put your chances at 0%. If you go to William Mitchell, University of South Dakota, etc. you might have a shot.
Last edited by A'nold on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:18 am

Wooster33 wrote:First, you very may well make The Caboose of the T13 EA, I just don't think so from the numbers. But softs count for a lot, too. At most schools there is significant movement after second semester. Some people get cocky, some people realize their mistakes and redouble their efforts. So in an EA type of situation I think schools are reluctant to take any students except those who have received the very best grades. So redouble the efforts and hope for the best.

I have always heard that there isn't very much movement at all, especially within the top 5-10%. Any evidence here?

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:20 am

Wooster33 wrote:
The only real factors are lawl skool grades and the lawl skool.

Also, 95% of transfer students on here have said basically the opposite of this.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:41 am

What if GULC changed all our status checkers to "accepted" today and then at around 8 PM changed them to "April Fools! Rejected!"

Would that be funny?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 am

stinger35 wrote:
Wooster33 wrote:
The only real factors are lawl skool grades and the lawl skool.

Also, 95% of transfer students on here have said basically the opposite of this.

I think softs might make a difference in this economy. Maybe 75% numbers 25% softs? I dont know. It is really hard to quantify how much each category is weighted. Jobs are extremely hard to get, even at Georgetown. I was thinking that having a summer position at a firm might help your chances.
What do you cats think?

Return to “Transfers”