Official Georgetown EA thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mjs1187

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm

apper123 wrote:random guess says you are top 15 % probably... maybe top 20 %

i dont think you'd get in EA, and you'll probably need to crack the top 15% and at least the top 10% to have a great shot RD

(im guessing you go to northeastern)

Nope, Rutgers Camden... Damn I was hoping my softs would help out and my one B would look like an outlier. All well... So probably deferment or just straight rejection? What schools do I have a competitive chance at, assuming that I get roughly the same GPA in the spring?

Thanks.

Postby 270910 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 pm

mjs1187 wrote:

i dont think you'd get in EA, and you'll probably need to crack the top 15% and at least the top 10% to have a great shot RD

Nope, Rutgers Camden... Damn I was hoping my softs would help out and my one B would look like an outlier. All well... So probably deferment or just straight rejection? What schools do I have a competitive chance at, assuming that I get roughly the same GPA in the spring?

Thanks.

You guys suck at math. He's probably at least top 10%.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:36 pm

disco_barred wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:

Thanks.

What's the calculation?

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

disco_barred wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:

Thanks.

my school curves to a 3.0 and a 3.55 is top 15% thus the random guess

honestly it's really hard to tell because it depends on how the curves are structured. we alway assume it's a normal curve which is not the case all the time.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 pm

apper123 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:

Thanks.

my school curves to a 3.0 and a 3.55 is top 15% thus the random guess

honestly it's really hard to tell because it depends on how the curves are structured. we alway assume it's a normal curve which is not the case all the time.

Yeah, I wish my school ranked but I honestly have no idea. I know that I'm on the top end of Fall honors (top 25%) and you needed like a 3.3 to make that. I appreciate your input. On the Gtown website it says that people in the top 15-20% are competitive in transferring.

"To be competitive, students should be in the top 15% of their class with an A-/B+ average."

Wouldn't I be in that range?

Postby 270910 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 pm

mjs1187 wrote:Yeah, I wish my school ranked but I honestly have no idea. I know that I'm on the top end of Fall honors (top 25%) and you needed like a 3.3 to make that. I appreciate your input. On the Gtown website it says that people in the top 15-20% are competitive in transferring.

"To be competitive, students should be in the top 15% of their class with an A-/B+ average."

*face palm*

If a 3.3 is top 25%, and a 3.0 is top 50%, a 3.57 is probably substantially better than top 10%. I wouldn't be shocked if it were top 5%.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 pm

disco_barred wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:Yeah, I wish my school ranked but I honestly have no idea. I know that I'm on the top end of Fall honors (top 25%) and you needed like a 3.3 to make that. I appreciate your input. On the Gtown website it says that people in the top 15-20% are competitive in transferring.

*face palm*

If a 3.3 is top 25%, and a 3.0 is top 50%, a 3.57 is probably substantially better than top 10%. I wouldn't be shocked if it were top 5%.

top 5% here cuts off at around a 3.75-3.8ish

not kidding

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm

apper123 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

*face palm*

not kidding

Why would Gtown post the thing about being 15-20%, when you really need to be in the top ten?

Also my friend said that a 3.761 was the 5th percentile.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 pm

apper123 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

*face palm*

not kidding

Okay so my math is pretty bad but this is what i have:

3.334= 25th percentile and 3.761 = 5th

So at worst i'm between the 15th - 10th percentile?

Doesn't that give me a shot at ED or no?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Sounds awfully self-serving but top 15% is probably only competitive from a top 30 or so would be my guess.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 am

ED deadline was 3/15

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 am

3.7 is cutoff for T10% here
3.5 for T20%
Curve is B+

If you have B curve, my guess is you are ~T10%. With a good PS and LOR you should be very competitive. I think your summer experience position will help.

Looking at the data on TApps, coming from a T2 you need to be:
T20% to avoid the auto deny pile
T15% to be competitive
T10% to be very competitive at RD and have a shot at EA
T5% to be a virtual lock, both for RD and EA

At the very least you are going to be competitive for RD, if you keep the 3.57. If you happen to be in the T10% and remain there after this semester, so long as your PS, LOR, and Resume are in good order, I would be surprised if you weren't admitted.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:28 am

sanpiero wrote:3.7 is cutoff for T10% here
3.5 for T20%
Curve is B+

If you have B curve, my guess is you are ~T10%. With a good PS and LOR you should be very competitive. I think your summer experience position will help.

T15% to be competitive

At the very least you are going to be competitive for RD, if you keep the 3.57. If you happen to be in the T10% and remain there after this semester, so long as your PS, LOR, and Resume are in good order, I would be surprised if you weren't admitted.

That sounds cool... I hope I have a chance for ED because I have housing complications and don't really know if I can wait till the summer for a decision. If i do wait what other schools would be worth applying to?

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am

Here is almost all the data from TApps on GULC transfers 2007-2009:

LS Rank Result
70s 50% OUT
50s 27% OUT
70s 23% OUT
American 23% OUT
Case 20% OUT
60s 20% OUT
50s 18% OUT
American 18% IN (WL)
50s 17% OUT (WL)
70s 17% OUT
T2 15% IN
American 15% OUT
UF 15% OUT
Davis 10% IN (EA)
60s 7% IN
50s 5% IN (EA)
70s 5% IN (EA)
70s 5% IN (EA)
60s 4% IN (EA)

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 am

mjs1187 wrote:
3.5 for T20%
Curve is B+

T15% to be competitive

That sounds cool... I hope I have a chance for ED because I have housing complications and don't really know if I can wait till the summer for a decision. If i do wait what other schools would be worth applying to?

Unless you already applied for EA, you have 0% chance at being admitted EA (deadline has passed). If you applied for EA, I'd say your chances aren't good but that is based on the limited data I've seen and what I've read ITT. You will probably be deferred to RD.

My opinion is that, outside the T14, you should go to school where you want to practice. If you want to practice in the DC area, consider applying to GW as well as GULC. If you want to practice in NYC, consider applying to Fordham. If you want to practice in Chicago, consider applying to NU, ND, and even UIUC.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 am

sanpiero wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:
3.5 for T20%
Curve is B+

T15% to be competitive

Unless you already applied for EA, you have 0% chance at being admitted EA (deadline has passed). If you applied for EA, I'd say your chances aren't good but that is based on the limited data I've seen and what I've read ITT. You will probably be deferred to RD.

My opinion is that, outside the T14, you should go to school where you want to practice. If you want to practice in the DC area, consider applying to GW as well as GULC. If you want to practice in NYC, consider applying to Fordham. If you want to practice in Chicago, consider applying to NU, ND, and even UIUC.

Yeah I already applied (went complete in Feb). I have good soft factors as i mentioned (fed judicial internship for the summer, 2 LORS from law professors, lots of pro bono work in first semester). Its seems kinda silly that Gtown promotes itself as this law school focusing on pro bono work and then exclusively consider my GPA. Hopefully my PS will be persuasive - devoted entirely to pro bono work.

Also where did you get that data?

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 am

mjs1187 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:
3.5 for T20%
Curve is B+

T15% to be competitive

Yeah I already applied (went complete in Feb). I have good soft factors as i mentioned (fed judicial internship for the summer, 2 LORS from law professors, lots of pro bono work in first semester). Its seems kinda silly that Gtown promotes itself as this law school focusing on pro bono work and then exclusively consider my GPA. Hopefully my PS will be persuasive - devoted entirely to pro bono work.

Im not sure if you have read that much info around here, but its not just Gtown. ALL schools basically focus their entire decision on GPA/Rank coupled with the school you are coming from. I would bet that all the "good soft factors" you have are shared by AT LEAST 75% of the other people applying. (Just an example, I am No. 1 at a T2, I got 2 CALI's along with 2 LORS from law professors, a fed judicial internship this summer and am doing pro bono work throughout the year. None of this is unique and is almost a necessary outcome of a high gpa and motivation.)

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:53 am

Also where did you get that data?[/quote]

Im not sure if you have read that much info around here, but its not just Gtown. ALL schools basically focus their entire decision on GPA/Rank coupled with the school you are coming from. I would bet that all the "good soft factors" you have are shared by AT LEAST 75% of the other people applying. (Just an example, I am No. 1 at a T2, I got 2 CALI's along with 2 LORS from law professors, a fed judicial internship this summer and am doing pro bono work throughout the year. None of this is unique and is almost a necessary outcome of a high gpa and motivation.)[/quote]

That's a very good point... I never really thought of that because it seems like no one in my class does pro bono and focus exclusively on their GPAs. Also, I only know of like two other students that got fed internships.

Thanks!

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 am

mjs1187 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:
3.5 for T20%
Curve is B+

T15% to be competitive

I wish you luck but why do you keep talking about your "2 LORS from law professors?" Isn't that the norm? That's kind of like me continuously pointing out that I paid the app fee or something.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:56 am

I wish you luck but why do you keep talking about your "2 LORS from law professors?" Isn't that the norm? That's kind of like me continuously pointing out that I paid the app fee or something.

I didn't know that was the norm (I'm new to this Top-Law-School normative approach to application)... GTown only asks for one so I thought i was going above and beyond. I'm proven wrong. But do you think that the group of people in this forum is indicative or representative of the entire population of apps. I just assumed this website was full of the elite applicants.
Last edited by mjs1187 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:57 am

mjs1187 wrote:Yeah I already applied (went complete in Feb). I have good soft factors as i mentioned (fed judicial internship for the summer, 2 LORS from law professors, lots of pro bono work in first semester). Its seems kinda silly that Gtown promotes itself as this law school focusing on pro bono work and then exclusively consider my GPA. Hopefully my PS will be persuasive - devoted entirely to pro bono work.

As PP said, your strong soft factors are shared by or exceeded by the majority of GULCs EA applicants. So, GPA has to weigh as heavily as it does.

I got the data here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 am

sanpiero wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:Yeah I already applied (went complete in Feb). I have good soft factors as i mentioned (fed judicial internship for the summer, 2 LORS from law professors, lots of pro bono work in first semester). Its seems kinda silly that Gtown promotes itself as this law school focusing on pro bono work and then exclusively consider my GPA. Hopefully my PS will be persuasive - devoted entirely to pro bono work.

As PP said, your strong soft factors are shared by or exceeded by the majority of GULCs EA applicants. So, GPA has to weigh as heavily as it does.

I have a good story to tell but no softs.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:46 am

A'nold wrote:
sanpiero wrote:

You probably have a nasty GPA/rank!

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:09 am

mjs1187 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
sanpiero wrote:

You probably have a nasty GPA/rank!

Yeah, when I actually think about it it is pretty dang good. I'm always trying to get even better grades but when I stop and consider my situation I am very happy with my performance last semester. It's nice to stop and soak in some perspective. :)

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 am

sanpiero wrote:Here is almost all the data from TApps on GULC transfers 2007-2009:

LS Rank Result
70s 50% OUT
50s 27% OUT
70s 23% OUT
American 23% OUT
Case 20% OUT
60s 20% OUT
50s 18% OUT
American 18% IN (WL)
50s 17% OUT (WL)
70s 17% OUT
T2 15% IN
American 15% OUT
UF 15% OUT
Davis 10% IN (EA)
60s 7% IN
50s 5% IN (EA)
70s 5% IN (EA)
70s 5% IN (EA)
60s 4% IN (EA)

So do we really think T5% at a T70ish is a "lock" for EA?

Return to “Transfers”