Official Georgetown EA thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chitown825

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 pm

A'nold wrote:
chitown825 wrote:Top 9% at school in the 80s (in the 60s last year :x). LOR from GULC alum. Personal reasons for transfer.

Hope it works out, or I'm off to UCLA/USC

I don't usually point stuff like this out, but this is pretty presumpuous.

Rolling my eyes. Thanks for critically analyzing my split second post on some annonymous website forum

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 pm

ChiTown...sorry for asking. I'll be more careful and selective about asking questions in the future to save you the time typing out a response. :wink:

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm

XM3045 wrote:ChiTown...sorry for asking. I'll be more careful and selective about asking questions in the future to save you the time typing out a response. :wink:

lol appreciate it

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:16 pm

chitown825 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
chitown825 wrote:Top 9% at school in the 80s (in the 60s last year :x). LOR from GULC alum. Personal reasons for transfer.

Hope it works out, or I'm off to UCLA/USC

I don't usually point stuff like this out, but this is pretty presumpuous.

Rolling my eyes. Thanks for critically analyzing my split second post on some annonymous website forum

You are a real peach.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 am

Does anyone else sit here and idly check the status checker every day even though you know it won't change anytime soon?

Or is that just me?

gulceatransfer

Postby gulceatransfer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Oh yeah. It's officially a habit at this point, and not a healthy one at that.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Anyone know what date the admits found out last year?

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm

According to the yahoo group it looks like last year it was end of april (23rd or so). Prior to last year sometime around the 1st Friday in April. I'm hoping that it doesn't get later this year and we find out right before/during finals. I think it would be rough to find out the day before starting finals that you got deferred. Might amp the pressure up a little bit.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:06 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Ya I can't wait until my deferral/ding comes in the mail. Should alleviate some of the stress during finals.

I expect to be rejected so I already prepared myself for the ding letter.

Aim for your feet cuz even if you miss you will hit something. lol

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:06 pm

I am expecting a ding as well, so I would probably die instantly of a heart attack w/ even a deferral, haha.

willnumber85

Postby willnumber85 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:10 pm

A'nold wrote:I am expecting a ding as well, so I would probably die instantly of a heart attack w/ even a deferral, haha.

A'nold from what I can tell you have a pretty competitive chance. Of course, nothing is guaranteed in transfers, but why not be an optimist? After all, you did fork out the cash for an app fee.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

willnumber85 wrote:
A'nold wrote:I am expecting a ding as well, so I would probably die instantly of a heart attack w/ even a deferral, haha.

A'nold from what I can tell you have a pretty competitive chance. Of course, nothing is guaranteed in transfers, but why not be an optimist? After all, you did fork out the cash for an app fee.

He does it to hedge, so as to protect his ego in case he actually does get dinged. It's similar to OS before matriculation where "all she ever want[ed] to do [wa]s PI," but after hitting top 10% last semester she's now gunning for biglaw.

I wouldn't give A'nold so much shit for it, if he just grew a pair of balls and went after his goal remorselessly (as in no more hedging).

willnumber85

Postby willnumber85 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:24 pm

solidsnake wrote:
willnumber85 wrote:

He does it to hedge, so as to protect his ego in case he actually does get dinged. It's similar to OS before matriculation where "all she ever want[ed] to do [wa]s PI," but after hitting top 10% last semester she's now gunning for biglaw.

I wouldn't give A'nold so much shit for it, if he just grew a pair of balls and went after his goal remorselessly (as in no more hedging).

Defintitely not trying to give the man shit. Just some encouragement. As for myself, I'm all in. If I get dinged it'll hurt, and I'll just have to do that much better this semester so I'll have a chance of transferring somewhere good.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Of course you would get a deferral. Why would they ding someone who is top 5% and first in section? Plus, you applied PT. It's not like you applied to Harvard or something...

Posts of this nature are getting a bit annoying to be honest. Especially in that you know full well that you have a good shot at least with the regular decision.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Whoa, sorry if I'm annoying people. I'll just stop posting any thoughts about my chances. I honestly put my chances at about 20%......

Do you guys not see some of the numbers on this thread alone?

Sorry if my posts look like false humility or hedging, I really do feel like I am in the lower rung of applicants.

I didn't know that OS was looking at biglaw either.

Edit: btw, I was responding to like 2 other posters' concerns about being rejected, so what makes my situation different? :?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:14 pm

A'nold wrote:Whoa, sorry if I'm annoying people. I'll just stop posting any thoughts about my chances. I honestly put my chances at about 20%......

Sorry if my posts look like false humility or hedging, I really do feel like I am in the lower rung of applicants.

Edit: btw, I was responding to like 2 other posters' concerns about being rejected, so what makes my situation different? :?

A'nold - chill out man! You're fine. You've got killer grades in law school and you have the opportunity to transfer to some awesome schools. Relax and don't let TLS drive you crazy.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 am

megaTTTron wrote:
A'nold wrote:Whoa, sorry if I'm annoying people. I'll just stop posting any thoughts about my chances. I honestly put my chances at about 20%......

A'nold - chill out man! You're fine. You've got killer grades in law school and you have the opportunity to transfer to some awesome schools. Relax and don't let TLS drive you crazy.

Yeah, I must be going crazy.

Who said that?! *quickly looks over shoulder*

afterglow99

Postby afterglow99 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 pm

3.67 gpa on a 3.0 curve from a school in the low 80s (no class rank). This should be good enough for a deferral at least, no?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 pm

afterglow99 wrote:3.67 gpa on a 3.0 curve from a school in the low 80s (no class rank). This should be good enough for a deferral at least, no?

Of course. I'm glad to see you did well, afterglow. Looks like you made a good decision in attending your current school.

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:17 pm

3.57 (A Civ Pro, A- Contracts, A- LAWR, B Torts got ffffed) School is ranked in the 70s. Does not rank. Two LOR from Law school Professors. Summer Federal Internship lined up + 3 Different Pro Bono projects.

Odds for both PT and FT?

Thanks in advance! :D

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 pm

mjs1187 wrote:3.57 (A Civ Pro, A- Contracts, A- LAWR, B Torts got ffffed) School is ranked in the 70s. Does not rank. Two LOR from Law school Professors. Summer Federal Internship lined up + 3 Different Pro Bono projects.

Odds for both PT and FT?

what does your school curve to?

do they give cutoffs?

mjs1187

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 pm

apper123 wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:3.57 (A Civ Pro, A- Contracts, A- LAWR, B Torts got ffffed) School is ranked in the 70s. Does not rank. Two LOR from Law school Professors. Summer Federal Internship lined up + 3 Different Pro Bono projects.

Odds for both PT and FT?

what does your school curve to?

do they give cutoffs?

I believe my school does curve at 3.0 (the mean in all four of my classes was roughly a 2.9-3.0). I have to be in at least 20th percentile as I made fall honors. Is this helpful?

Thanks again!

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm

random guess says you are top 15 % probably... maybe top 20 %

i dont think you'd get in EA, and you'll probably need to crack the top 15% and at least the top 10% to have a great shot RD

(im guessing you go to northeastern)

Return to “Transfers”