Official Georgetown EA thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:01 pm

And for people like me, every single t14 is "the dream school" basically, so if GULC accepted me, I'd be 100 billion % happy going there with no regrets or dreams of anything "better." All I need is one t14 to accept me and I'll be the happiest transfer you've ever seen. That's why it would be so nice to get in EA before finals so I could have a relatively stress-free finals season instead of an extruciatingly stressful one.

JR00576
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby JR00576 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:06 pm

My status checker now includes my permanent address rather than my present address. I was DR on Thursday and am still waiting for the letter. Did this happen for anyone else?

LW2010
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby LW2010 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16 pm

.
Last edited by LW2010 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeelsinDetroit
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby HeelsinDetroit » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:17 pm

the GT decision is out of your hands so you can't worry about it. Finals are in your control and your grades transfer too. Either way you are stuck with your grades so you should worry about that. A crappy GPA from Georgetown doesn't get you anything.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:40 pm

HeelsinDetroit wrote:the GT decision is out of your hands so you can't worry about it. Finals are in your control and your grades transfer too. Either way you are stuck with your grades so you should worry about that. A crappy GPA from Georgetown doesn't get you anything.



Represent the D. (me too).

HeelsinDetroit
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby HeelsinDetroit » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
HeelsinDetroit wrote:the GT decision is out of your hands so you can't worry about it. Finals are in your control and your grades transfer too. Either way you are stuck with your grades so you should worry about that. A crappy GPA from Georgetown doesn't get you anything.



Represent the D. (me too).


Sorry to burst your bubble. The Detroit reference is to the 2009 Final Four. The name was created last year during UNC's run to the championship.

Never been to Detroit, but I hear it's lovely this time of year.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby stinger35 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:22 pm

apper123 wrote:Ah, yeah I know. But there has to be some reason. I think my school has a lot to do with it too. I think it's fairly apparent T14s like to draw from T1s/T2s/T3s/T4s in their geographic area, and there's prob good reasons for it:

-the student is more likely to have a more comfortable transition
-they are aware of the reputation of the school and/or might have contacts there
-the student is more likely to do better at OCI as firms coming in will recognize the T2... as compared to a T2 from the midwest or down south or something. this obv helps GULC's #s. (this is prob the most important reason IMO)


I really like this and hope you are right.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby megaTTTron » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:27 am

HeelsinDetroit wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
HeelsinDetroit wrote:the GT decision is out of your hands so you can't worry about it. Finals are in your control and your grades transfer too. Either way you are stuck with your grades so you should worry about that. A crappy GPA from Georgetown doesn't get you anything.



Represent the D. (me too).


Sorry to burst your bubble. The Detroit reference is to the 2009 Final Four. The name was created last year during UNC's run to the championship.

Never been to Detroit, but I hear it's lovely this time of year.



It's never lovely.

Your name can be taken in such a dramatically different way. Haha. Also - fuck UNC, MSU all the way. But I have love for you as a fellow EA applicant.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby traydeuce » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:03 am

My packet came in the mail. As readers of this board probably already know, I was kind of the ultimate autoadmit so no surprise there. Exams so far are going pretty well so, for those of you hoping for an acceptance, I doubt I'll be keeping you out of a spot.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby thexfactor » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 am

megaTTTron wrote:
HeelsinDetroit wrote:the GT decision is out of your hands so you can't worry about it. Finals are in your control and your grades transfer too. Either way you are stuck with your grades so you should worry about that. A crappy GPA from Georgetown doesn't get you anything.



Represent the D. (me too).


Nice to see a couple of fellow detroiters on the forum.
Did anyone see last week's ABC documentary on detroit?

bigred87
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby bigred87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:20 pm

is there going to be a big dramatic "count down" again tonight? Not even exactly sure what it's for...

plyersplyer
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby plyersplyer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:14 pm

bigred87 wrote:is there going to be a big dramatic "count down" again tonight? Not even exactly sure what it's for...



Countdown was because last year, and i believe the year before that, first round acceptances all went to decision at 12:01 on Monday morning. This was not the case this year.

puke006
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby puke006 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Yea who knows if there will even be another round of acceptances before rejection/deferral emails come out, I guess we'll find that shit out within the next few weeks.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:46 pm

I tell myself that it's just my school and rank and that if I do well again they'll accept me RD.....then I see the dude on the accepted students thread that got in EA in the top 3% at John Marshall which is right around where I am at a t3. I wonder if my supplemental info was not up to snuff. Wish I knew in case GULC passes on me so I don't mess up any further apps.

puke006
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby puke006 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Yeah i'm prob #1 at santa clara which was 87 and now 93, undeniably in the top 0-2.5% according to past ranking grids, kinda pissed that I didn't get in the first wave lol and yeah I think it's because of the school ranking and maybe softs. My impression was that softs weren't that big a deal for transfer but who knows, can't hurt to polish up for next time. I wish my school ranked after the first semester, I feel like I'm getting surpassed by kids who are officially #1 at T2,3,4 schools because they have the official school-endorsed rank.

Congrats to y'all who made it though, I was excited to look for an apartment in DC and not have to worry about housing in other cities, I envy you. I'm not really buying the geographical theories, it seems to me like everyone who went DR is in and the rest will be deferred or rejected.

plyersplyer
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby plyersplyer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:55 am

There WILL be more acceptances:

Here's what happened last year:

"April 20: applicants first change to 'Decision.' These turn out to be acceptances.

April 27: GULC mailed deferral letters to numerous applicants.

May 5: Decision for those admitted."


I'd guess that this week some deferrals will go out, and middle of next week will be the next and likely final batch of EA acceptances. Might be different but very very likely there will be more acceptances.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 am

plyersplyer wrote:There WILL be more acceptances:

Here's what happened last year:

"April 20: applicants first change to 'Decision.' These turn out to be acceptances.

April 27: GULC mailed deferral letters to numerous applicants.

May 5: Decision for those admitted."


I'd guess that this week some deferrals will go out, and middle of next week will be the next and likely final batch of EA acceptances. Might be different but very very likely there will be more acceptances.


And let the week of fear and despair begin.

EDIT: I actually looked up the definition of despair "the complete loss or absence of hope." hahaha. dear god.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:19 am

Is it too aggressive to send a LOCI at this point? I mean what would I even say? "I have been closely following the release of EA decisions and am aware that I am not in the first batch of acceptances, but still really like GULC because...."

Marie9444
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby Marie9444 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 am

Should we expect to hear anything anytime soon if we are still "under review"? It seems like last year there was a gap between the first set of acceptances and the second.

Pilaf Rocket
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby Pilaf Rocket » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am

Can someone explain what a deferral really means? If I were to receive one, should I be happy its not an outright rejection? What are my chances with a deferral compared to outright rejection and RD reapplication?

Top 5-7%, upper T2

LW2010
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby LW2010 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:53 am

.
Last edited by LW2010 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:21 pm

A'nold wrote:I tell myself that it's just my school and rank and that if I do well again they'll accept me RD.....then I see the dude on the accepted students thread that got in EA in the top 3% at John Marshall which is right around where I am at a t3. I wonder if my supplemental info was not up to snuff. Wish I knew in case GULC passes on me so I don't mess up any further apps.


To be fair I very well may be top 3% at a 25-30, so if anyone supplemental stuff sucked it would be me :)

sigmachiev
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby sigmachiev » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm

JPU wrote:Is it too aggressive to send a LOCI at this point? I mean what would I even say? "I have been closely following the release of EA decisions and am aware that I am not in the first batch of acceptances, but still really like GULC because...."


I sent an update in mid march talking about some on campus club stuff I had been doing, and that I landed a job. Told them GULC was still my first choice to continue my legal education. In the alternative maybe your LOCI could go into more detail as to some programs the school has that would help you arrive at you're professional goal. Lots of stuff you can do with it.

JR00576
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 am

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby JR00576 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Is there anyone who went to "decision rendered" last Thursday that has not gotten a letter yet? Just trying to confirm that this was the initial round of acceptances.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Postby A'nold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 pm

*feeling of impending doom*




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.