Official Georgetown EA thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawl Shcool

Silver

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Are admissions rolling? My LORs and stuff are taking forever to get processed and right now I am looking at submitting on the deadline

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 pm

JPU wrote:Are admissions rolling? My LORs and stuff are taking forever to get processed and right now I am looking at submitting on the deadline
I believe that GULC says that it is not rolling but I don't know for sure.

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 am

I'm pretty sure all EA acceptees are notified on the same day

Client8

New

Post by Client8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:39 pm

bkthunder wrote:I'm pretty sure all EA acceptees are notified on the same day
Yeah, but just because EA applicants are notified on the same day doesn't mean that they were admitted or considered together. It seems entirely plausible that the Dean (or other reviewer/s) will be reviewing applications as time permits: which usually means, as they are submitted, or rolling.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Client8 wrote:
Yeah, but just because EA applicants are notified on the same day doesn't mean that they were admitted or considered together. It seems entirely plausible that the Dean (or other reviewer/s) will be reviewing applications as time permits: which usually means, as they are submitted, or rolling.
Yeah, I was thinking that too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Client8 wrote:

True. Also, I dunno if anyone else got a status update but my status check finally shows that my LoR was received, even though I know it was sent like a month ago. Status is still at Application Received however

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

bkthunder wrote:
Client8 wrote:

True. Also, I dunno if anyone else got a status update but my status check finally shows that my LoR was received, even though I know it was sent like a month ago. Status is still at Application Received however
Does anyone know when we should start worrying if we are not "complete"?

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. I called them up on Monday (my status is application received, with the LOR also received) and they looked up my file and they said they received my transcript and LOE from my law school and all, they just hadn't electronically added it to their database. So basically, even though I'm complete, it's not reflected in my file yet. They're probably backed up cause of the snow and all. I'd recommend e-mailing them in about a week, and just confirming that your application is complete and ready for review.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:34 pm

johndoe wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. I called them up on Monday (my status is application received, with the LOR also received) and they looked up my file and they said they received my transcript and LOE from my law school and all, they just hadn't electronically added it to their database. So basically, even though I'm complete, it's not reflected in my file yet. They're probably backed up cause of the snow and all. I'd recommend e-mailing them in about a week, and just confirming that your application is complete and ready for review.
Thanks for the post. I'm kind of worried that my transcript arrived later to LSAC than the time that they pulled my file but I'll do like you suggested and contact them in a week or so if my status doesn't go complete.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xferAlt

New

Post by xferAlt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 pm

Received an email from LSAC today notifying me they had requested my LSDAS report.

Client8

New

Post by Client8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 pm

xferAlt wrote:Received an email from LSAC today notifying me they had requested my LSDAS report.

Hmmm....does that come before or after GULC has sent an email notifying you of being in their system? Upon submission on LSDAS, I received an (appeared to be automatically-generated) email from GULC w/ username/PW for status checks.

xferAlt

New

Post by xferAlt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:20 am

Client8 wrote:
xferAlt wrote:Received an email from LSAC today notifying me they had requested my LSDAS report.

Hmmm....does that come before or after GULC has sent an email notifying you of being in their system? Upon submission on LSDAS, I received an (appeared to be automatically-generated) email from GULC w/ username/PW for status checks.
It came before the GULC email, which I have not received as of tonight. Full disclosure: I applied via paper, so they may not have put it all together yet.

GooseGTI

New

Post by GooseGTI » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:49 pm

FYI- Just went "complete" on my application. Sent it in about 2 weeks ago with LORs through LSAC. Transcript and Letter of Good Standing went in beg. of last week. Good luck to all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm

GooseGTI wrote:FYI- Just went "complete" on my application. Sent it in about 2 weeks ago with LORs through LSAC. Transcript and Letter of Good Standing went in beg. of last week. Good luck to all!

Wohoo! Good luck!

Edit: I'm still at "application received."

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Double checked with my one LoR today. Not sent yet. Yep.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 pm

apper123 wrote:Double checked with my one LoR today. Not sent yet. Yep.
Mine just go sent out yesterday or at least one of them. Im questioning whether the records people are on top of sending the certification form as well.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:39 pm

apper123 wrote:Double checked with my one LoR today. Not sent yet. Yep.

mine was sent last week to LSAC and I've been checking my email frantically to see if they recieved it...im getting nervous lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 am

I'm contemplating sending an EA application to GULC, but I don't think my grades were high enough this semester, since one class brought me down to roughly top third at a school in the 40s-60s. Since it's my understanding that GULC does EA admissions based only on the fall grades, I doubt my shortcomings in rank would be mitigated by an EA submission. The only good thing is that there's a chance I'll have a wonder LOR from one of my profs, since he or she is leaving the school this year (visiting prof who wasn't offered a position...). I feel like this prof has some hostility toward the school, so maybe that will help me out a bit.

How much of an effect does applying early action to the PT/FT (I really don't care either way) program have? I'd also REALLY prefer to be in NYC, but DC is closer to home than where I'm currently located. NYC is roughly a four hour train ride from DC, as opposed to a rather lengthy and expensive flight from where I currently am.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 am

engineer wrote:I'm contemplating sending an EA application to GULC, but I don't think my grades were high enough this semester, since one class brought me down to roughly top third at a school in the 40s-60s. Since it's my understanding that GULC does EA admissions based only on the fall grades, I doubt my shortcomings in rank would be mitigated by an EA submission. The only good thing is that there's a chance I'll have a wonder LOR from one of my profs, since he or she is leaving the school this year (visiting prof who wasn't offered a position...). I feel like this prof has some hostility toward the school, so maybe that will help me out a bit.

How much of an effect does applying early action to the PT/FT (I really don't care either way) program have? I'd also REALLY prefer to be in NYC, but DC is closer to home than where I'm currently located. NYC is roughly a four hour train ride from DC, as opposed to a rather lengthy and expensive flight from where I currently am.
You have 0 chance getting into GULC PT or FT EA with your stats. Since you seem to know what's going on in law school and seem dedicated to pulling your grades / GPA / rank up next semester, it would be foolish to get your self rejected from Georgetown only to find out your grades would actually have put you in the running after a full year of law school.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 am

disco_barred wrote:You have 0 chance getting into GULC PT or FT EA with your stats. Since you seem to know what's going on in law school and seem dedicated to pulling your grades / GPA / rank up next semester, it would be foolish to get your self rejected from Georgetown only to find out your grades would actually have put you in the running after a full year of law school.
Fair enough, thanks. I know it's all a balancing act; I just wasn't sure how much the PT option decreases the GPA's coefficient in the mythical equation used to determine who's admitted.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

engineer wrote:
disco_barred wrote:You have 0 chance getting into GULC PT or FT EA with your stats. Since you seem to know what's going on in law school and seem dedicated to pulling your grades / GPA / rank up next semester, it would be foolish to get your self rejected from Georgetown only to find out your grades would actually have put you in the running after a full year of law school.
Fair enough, thanks. I know it's all a balancing act; I just wasn't sure how much the PT option decreases the GPA's coefficient in the mythical equation used to determine who's admitted.
I'm T20% at a similarly ranked school and chose to forgo EA, following the PP's logic regarding having a better shot after semester 2 grades. Looking at the last two years of data from transferapps, successful applicants from schools ranked 35-60 tend to be T15% or better. There are only two individuals reporting admittance with a rank btw T15 - 20%, and non one ranked outside the T20%. The individual with the lowest reported rank to be accepted EA was T10% from UCD.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:14 pm

How does Georgetown deal with a school that does not rank after first semester? Do they just compare it to the previous years class rank? Ive been kinda wondering since we don't rank untill the full year is completed.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:47 pm

If we're being paranoid, what does a t3 (only one in the state) student from a very unique location in the top 4%, 1st in section, have at EA pt/ft? :)

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:46 pm

complete, everything submitted 3-4 weeks ago...all I can do now is wait (and study)

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Hey everyone. I am Top 5% at a T-30 school. Now I know normally this would make me pretty much a lock at GULC EA, but do you think it will be different this year because of the economy? Also, a lot of people at my school are applying EA to Gtown. Do you think this will make it harder for me to get in? Thanks for your time!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”