Official Georgetown EA thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
prncaspian3

New

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by prncaspian3 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Honestly, It would be quite a dilemma for me between GULC, and a school ranked near NW (I did apply to Cornell and Duke). If one likes the D.C. market in particular, then GULC is the better choice.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:00 pm

I'd take GULC over NW as well. Not everyone makes their decision based on x being higher than y. I know several people who may take GULC even over CCN.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm staying on the list because I want to work in DC (I've also not been accepted anywhere else) but I do go back and forth about it. How do the rest of you staying on the list justify doing it even though there is no way we will be on any journal and it's unlikely any acceptance might come before OCI is over?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:29 pm

apper123 wrote:I'd take GULC over NW as well. Not everyone makes their decision based on x being higher than y. I know several people who may take GULC even over CCN.
That seems very risky. If I go there, employers may, for all I know, see me as equivalent to a Georgetown kid with a B+ average. Which is to say, someone who isn't terribly recruitable. D.C. opportunities notwithstanding, I just don't get the sense it's safe to take GULC over much higher-ranked schools in this economy.

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Tray, I'm struggling with the amount of effort I should be putting into the Write-On....for this reason. I'm sort of like, the odds are > 60% I get into ONE of those schools, right? And so I might as well be making the decision now...and this whole Write on is maybe misspent energy, as my decision would (likely) be to take the higher ranked school.

Edit: Ah, but the real dilemma is, GULC + LR versus higher ranked, no chance of LR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 pm

traydeuce wrote:
apper123 wrote:I'd take GULC over NW as well. Not everyone makes their decision based on x being higher than y. I know several people who may take GULC even over CCN.
That seems very risky. If I go there, employers may, for all I know, see me as equivalent to a Georgetown kid with a B+ average. Which is to say, someone who isn't terribly recruitable. D.C. opportunities notwithstanding, I just don't get the sense it's safe to take GULC over much higher-ranked schools in this economy.
While I'd like to keep the option of it open, (and will be pursuing a 2L SA), I'm fairly certain I do not want a career in BigLaw and am more interested in politics, government and election law. You have to be careful to not evaluate everything from the angle of seeking BigLaw employment.

And I think a "Georgetown kid with a B+ average" being "not terribly recruitable" is a bit silly of an assertion.

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

i would personally choose gulc over many "better" schools as well- including duke (cuz i dont wanna be in NC), virginia (for the same reasons), and cornell (cuz let's be honest, it's ithaca). but that is just MY personal preference.

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

apper123 wrote: And I think a "Georgetown kid with a B+ average" being "not terribly recruitable" is a bit silly of an assertion.
i agree.

DClaw2010

New

Post by DClaw2010 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 am

Has anyone else yet to hear anything? No WL/Ding/acceptance?

UR since 7/13- Likley later then most of you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2ndcirclaw

New

Post by 2ndcirclaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:40 am

I am still waiting. I emailed and they said they hoped to have all decisions made by the end of July. UR 7/9

beantownmu

New

Post by beantownmu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:57 am

Does anyone think I stand a better chance of acceptance by switching my application from both to part-time? I originally thought I should put both on my application just to keep all options open. I am currently a part-time student, a 4.0, ranked #1 of 190 at a tier 3 in the northeast. I applied late, I have been under review since 7/15.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 pm

What's Georgetown's curve, by the way?

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:01 am

For those of you waiting our deadline for seat deposit is 7/26. I expect that once they see how many seats they have tentatively filled, they will continue with their decisions. I am not sure if this is good or bad news for you, but i hope things work out for those of you waiting.

On a side note- yes, I think changing ur app from ft to pt is a good idea. Particularly because they may be looking to fill PT slots, and it shows that you are committed to that program and not just trying to get in any way you can. Best of luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gtownyesplease

New

Post by gtownyesplease » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 am

Last edited by gtownyesplease on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownmu

New

Post by beantownmu » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:40 am

I'm not so sure all seats are full, I have not yet received a decision on my application, although I did apply late. But if you do think all seats are full, how many seats do you think (roughly, obviously not looking for an exact number) will open up after the deposit deadline? Does anyone have historical information on this topic?

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:59 pm

I sent in my seat deposit today, and am very excited! =)

I hope that for those of you waiting, you hear a favorable response in the coming days!

Anyone else send in their seat deposit?

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm attending. Got in EA and felt that I had used up my luck and decided not to apply anywhere else. Who else is actually planning on attending?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:08 pm

traydeuce wrote:What's Georgetown's curve, by the way?
Friend of mine at GULC sent me this a while ago. I guess the B and lower grades are slightly adjustable. Something like for every percentage point B- and below, they can give an extra percentage of Bs. Looks a lot better than my old school's curve, but also slightly depressing that OCI views transfers as 3.4 type students. That looks to be just a touch better than median.

A 12%
A- 19%
B+ 28%
B 31%*
B- }
C+ }
C }
C- }5-10%*
D }
F }

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:48 pm

anyone moving to DC looking for other transfer students to live with? PM me...

(or existing GULC students... that's cool too)

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:50 pm

XM3045 wrote:
traydeuce wrote:also slightly depressing that OCI views transfers as 3.4 type students. That looks to be just a touch better than median.
Do they... OCS claimed that I'd be viewed as about a 3.6. Which had a huge effect on my bidding strategy. In other news, I somehow sent my write-on 9 minutes late. Partly due to login difficulties, so maybe there's a hope for forgiveness.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:11 pm

OCS told me that as a transfer (top 15%, t20), I should bid at firms with a median at 3.3-3.4, and maybe 3.5.

However this is all moot now because I got into NYU! GULC can take my $1200 and someone gets my seat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 pm

I guess we spoke to different people. It doesn't make any sense that, leaving a t15 (by the way, would you transfer to move up a single spot?), you'd somehow get downgraded from being regarded as a top 20% student to a median one.

bigred87

New

Post by bigred87 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:17 pm

3.3-3.4??? Wow, that sucks...

I based my bidding strategy on assuming I'm about a 3.5-3.6, but not sure how smart that was. I'm a 3.8 and top 1% at my school, so maybe that will help me?? UGH

Wolverine21

New

Post by Wolverine21 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Midwest T3, Top 2%: Waitlisted

Sent in my LOCI today along with my law review offer. Anyone have experience being on the wailist? Anyone accepted off the w/l yet?

EDIT: For those interested, I applied on May 25 and did not hear anything until last week.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:54 pm

I've heard of FT applicants having success getting off the waitlist if they tell the school they would attend PT. Obviously if you applied to Both or PT then this would not help you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”