Official Georgetown EA thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:42 am

apper123 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Here is almost all the data from TApps on GULC transfers 2007-2009:

LS Rank Result
70s 50% OUT
50s 27% OUT
70s 23% OUT
American 23% OUT
Case 20% OUT
60s 20% OUT
50s 18% OUT
American 18% IN (WL)
50s 17% OUT (WL)
70s 17% OUT
T2 15% IN
American 15% OUT
UF 15% OUT
Davis 10% IN (EA)
60s 7% IN
50s 5% IN (EA)
70s 5% IN (EA)
70s 5% IN (EA)
60s 4% IN (EA)
So do we really think T5% at a T70ish is a "lock" for EA?
My interpretation of the transferapps group is that you have a very good chance.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:11 am

I think you have a great shot with top 5% t2. Hell, if you don't have a great shot, what the hell do me and A'nold have?

More so than regular admissions transferring everyone has comparable numbers (top of class) and even then the schools don't have to report them, so the personal statement is much more important. My best guess is the formula looks like this:

Regular admission = (60% lsat) + (35% gpa) + (5% PS)

Transfer = (5% lsat) + (5% UG gpa) + (60% LS gpa) + (30% PS)

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 am

JPU wrote:Transfer = (5% lsat) + (5% UG gpa) + (60% LS gpa) + (30% PS)
I really don't think your LSAT + UG GPA + PS count for nearly half of the decision. I feel like the LS GPA is closer to 80 or 90%, and the last 10-20% is reserved for some arbitrary combination of your PS, LORs, LSAT, and UG GPA, probably descending in weight in that order.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 am

engineer wrote:
JPU wrote:Transfer = (5% lsat) + (5% UG gpa) + (60% LS gpa) + (30% PS)
I really don't think your LSAT + UG GPA + PS count for nearly half of the decision. I feel like the LS GPA is closer to 80 or 90%, and the last 10-20% is reserved for some arbitrary combination of your PS, LORs, LSAT, and UG GPA, probably descending in weight in that order.
I agree with the bolded. My guess is that grades count for more than 90% of the process (a guess bolstered by the opinion of several admissions staff members at various schools).

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:59 am

I agree that LS GPA is by far the most important factor. However I think that b/c transfer hiring rates ARE included in the school's ranking and b/c so many GULC students got hammered at OCI last year, I think that soft factors such as where the person went to UGrad and other soft factors that make the person more/less likely to get hired in the future will come into play. Just my opinion though...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 pm

I really don't think that UG GPA and LSAT have any real meaning to transfer admissions (albeit i know some will say HYS do, but thats not relevant here anyways). The whole point of those factors is predicting 1l sucess, so they are basically pointless now. the only factor that they may have, is that someone with better original numbers probably went to a higher ranked school, and thus has an advantage in school rank.

The only real factors are Law school grades and the Law School.

LOR's, PS and other stuff, can hurt you if they are terrible, but they would have to really be amazing to help.

And I know a lot of people freak out when they see some of the numbers on here, the top ranked student at a T25 etc., the reality is that GULC matriculates 100 students, and easily must accept two or three times that amount. In the end the top student at a high ranked schools is going to get into HYS.

To use an analogy, Its sort of like an 0l with a 3.6 and 170 Lsat, worrying about the kid with a 4.0 180 taking his spot at GULC.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Speculation on where a 3.67 on a B curve would fall in terms of class rank?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:^^^Nerve calming post. FTW.
LOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:22 pm

XM3045 wrote: However I think that b/c transfer hiring rates ARE included in the school's ranking
False.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 pm

afterglow99 wrote:Speculation on where a 3.67 on a B curve would fall in terms of class rank?
At my school It'd be just inside the top 10%.

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Disco- at least in theory it is

http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml

It is true that employment numbers are very manipulable and they count you as being employed if you are working at McDonalds. But employment #s do have an effect.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:14 pm

^^ I am confused. Are you saying GULC will take less transfers because of the possible hit to their employment numbers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:35 pm

I was just throwing the opinion out there that b/c employment after graduation numbers are really the only way that transfers are ever included in the us news rankings, that GULC may take a longer look at some of the soft factors that could effect employment down the line (like the quality of the UGrad school, work experience etc).

someone else wrote that employment numbers have nothing to with the US News reports. Employment numbers actually factor in significantly (12% or so)

Because transfers are cash cows for GULC, I would imagine if anything they will be taking at least as many transfers as they have in the past.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I hate jumping on the assumption train, but assuming that gtown is more concerned about OCI numbers, how would someone whose intended field isn't being drastically affected by the job market fare? I'm inclined to do patent law, and if I pass the patent bar before they review my app, could that give me a little extra push?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 pm

engineer wrote:I hate jumping on the assumption train, but assuming that gtown is more concerned about OCI numbers, how would someone whose intended field isn't being drastically affected by the job market fare? I'm inclined to do patent law, and if I pass the patent bar before they review my app, could that give me a little extra push?
I would think so, showing a specific interest and passion for an area of law can only be a good thing. I think this is especially true for patent work which requires a specific background and separate bar.

I doubt they are more concerned with OCI numbers than overall employment numbers (although they are probably highly correlated). This is an interesting idea though: do they admit based on how likely they think you will be able to get a job at graduation and thus have a positive impact on their overal US News score? Would this give a preference to people looking for biglaw vs. PI where a successful transfer could not only help the % employed number but also the median/mean starting salary?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:03 pm

I think it's fair to point out at this point that the entire discussion of GULC transfer acceptances being affected by OCI numbers is based off of random conjecture on an internet forum. I wouldn't freak out about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:09 pm

apper123 wrote:I think it's fair to point out at this point that the entire discussion of GULC transfer acceptances being affected by OCI numbers is based off of random conjecture on an internet forum. I wouldn't freak out about it.
Hah very good point apper, but what else do we have to do between now and decision day besides speculate? I mean its not like we have classes or memos to worry about....

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjs1187

New

Post by mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Is much easier to get admission in the PT program? Or are the requirements for FT/PT essentially the same?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 pm

mjs1187 wrote:Is much easier to get admission in the PT program? Or are the requirements for FT/PT essentially the same?
This question gets asked a lot on here (I am interested in this as well) but it seems like a very big unknown.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjs1187

New

Post by mjs1187 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:37 pm

A'nold wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:Is much easier to get admission in the PT program? Or are the requirements for FT/PT essentially the same?
This question gets asked a lot on here (I am interested in this as well) but it seems like a very big unknown.
Yeah, I mean the TApps stats indicate that admissions is easier but it could just be an anomaly.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:25 am

mjs1187 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Yeah, I mean the TApps stats indicate that admissions is easier but it could just be an anomaly.
What examples are you looking at on the database? I haven't really seen much data on pt. transfers.

hey there guy

New

Post by hey there guy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:35 am

Man, I went through this same process last year and I must say that I do not envy all of you right now. It was a non-stop waiting game with no action taking place until mid to late April, if I remember correctly. Good luck to all of you.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 am

hey there guy wrote:Man, I went through this same process last year and I must say that I do not envy all of you right now. It was a non-stop waiting game with no action taking place until mid to late April, if I remember correctly. Good luck to all of you.
This just kind of gave me a jolt as we are heading into the month of April tomorrow. Good luck guys! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”