Official Georgetown EA thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 am

Journeybound wrote:So I have everything ready at LSAC, except for my personal statement. But that should upload instantly. Right now I'm working on my PS, and I anticipate that I should be ready in the next day or so. Is there any reason to rush? Will it take more than two weeks for me to go complete if I submit everything via LSAC? My school sent the standard good standing form from GULC in like a week ago, so I'm good in that department. Is there a reason everyone is rushing? Thanks!
I don't know but it just seems like they may review apps submitted earlier first, but they say it is not rolling so we may just be playing it safe in that regard.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Client8 wrote:Paranoia in me:

Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 2/24/2010

This means ALL my application materials have been received, correct? Don't want to bombard the GULC office w/ more inquiries, but I piecemailed some of my app materials so just want to make sure all other's who are "complete" also have this same status.

GL!
Yeah that means you're complete.

I'm complete as of today, but only because I called the admissions office. They seem to still be behind.

facelessman

New

Post by facelessman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Hello all,

School: 15-30
GPA: 4.1 (don't know exact ranking)

Still not complete because I am waiting on my prof to finish the LOR. Good luck to all!

zuluwarriors

New

Post by zuluwarriors » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am

hey everyone,

around a 3.8 at GWU. would love to go to GULC next year, but i'm thinking competition to transfer from GW to GULC will be pretty stiff... good luck to all!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:02 am

To the last 2 posters: you are overqualified, please leave the seats to people that actually need them. Thank you. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:56 am

A'nold wrote:To the last 2 posters: you are overqualified, please leave the seats to people that actually need them. Thank you. 8)
Agreed, hahaha. But seriously, why transfer from 15-20 to 14? I know there is a huge deal made out of the t14 but that seems a little outrageous, even by TLS standards.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 am

Crap. Is the economy that bad? This might be an even more unpredictable transfer cycle. =p

GooseGTI

New

Post by GooseGTI » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 am

This is one of those what if/impossible to know questions. But what % of EA applicants do you think are on a forum like this?

facelessman

New

Post by facelessman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:34 pm

I've gotten mixed reviews when asking people "would you transfer to Gtown from X school with 4+ GPA?" The majority have said yes because of the national reputation.

I agree the jump seems unnecessary, but those grades are only from one semester. There is a chance I perform poorly in the spring.

No guarantees I get accepted either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

facelessman wrote:I've gotten mixed reviews when asking people "would you transfer to Gtown from X school with 4+ GPA?" The majority have said yes because of the national reputation.

I agree the jump seems unnecessary, but those grades are only from one semester. There is a chance I perform poorly in the spring.

You're not just looking at the difference b/w being at the top of your already reputable school and GULC, you will get into many higher up t14's than GULC, plus you will waste a lot of money on a deposit.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:45 pm

A'nold wrote:
facelessman wrote:I've gotten mixed reviews when asking people "would you transfer to Gtown from X school with 4+ GPA?" The majority have said yes because of the national reputation.

You're not just looking at the difference b/w being at the top of your already reputable school and GULC, you will get into many higher up t14's than GULC, plus you will waste a lot of money on a deposit.
How much are the deposits?

and I still havnt gone complete yet, but at least my LOR is in

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey everyone, I submitted my app on Monday (3/1) and I got the email with the status check info a few hours later. The one thing that worries me is that on my LSAC account, Georgetown requested my report the same day but it still doesnt show that LSAC sent it yet. All my other schools from last cycle show a report date and a sent date of 1 business day.
Last edited by newyorker69 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:34 pm

You guys with over 4.0's makes me jealous of getting the extra points for A+'s. I wish we gave out that extra point, it would have helped out my gpa drastically haha.

I think TLS is actually a fairly good sample size at least for transfer students. Im amazed how many people at my school have read or post on here in general, it seems like most law students know about TLS at least. GULC obviously attracts a lot of people because of the EA option, so maybe they will use the WL's more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Need some etiquette advice. My LoR still has not been sent. The recommender assured me it would be sent as of 3 weeks ago Monday. I got on this as early as possible (late January) as I knew that academic letters take a while. It's been a really, really long time though. I've been in touch with his secretary who tells me she's been reminding him constantly and doesn't know what else to do. He hasn't returned any of my emails, and every time I go to his office he is not there.

At this point I am preparing to approach another professor tomorrow (who I really didn't want to write me a letter, but I feel like I have no choice) to see if he can get a letter out for me in the next week. I honestly have no idea what else to do. Thoughts?

I have been polite and respectful in all my emails (and the secretary has sympathized with my plight so she's been plugging hard too), but maybe I've been too nice and detached? Maybe I need to say, "Listen, the deadline is coming up really soon and if it can't go out please just tell me so I can get someone else..."

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

apper123 wrote:Need some etiquette advice. My LoR still has not been sent. The recommender assured me it would be sent as of 3 weeks ago Monday. I got on this as early as possible (late January) as I knew that academic letters take a while. It's been a really, really long time though. I've been in touch with his secretary who tells me she's been reminding him constantly and doesn't know what else to do. He hasn't returned any of my emails, and every time I go to his office he is not there.

At this point I am preparing to approach another professor tomorrow (who I really didn't want to write me a letter, but I feel like I have no choice) to see if he can get a letter out for me in the next week. I honestly have no idea what else to do. Thoughts?

I have been polite and respectful in all my emails (and the secretary has sympathized with my plight so she's been plugging hard too), but maybe I've been too nice and detached? Maybe I need to say, "Listen, the deadline is coming up really soon and if it can't go out please just tell me so I can get someone else..."
Is this your only LOR? If this is your second one, I'd just go with one letter, if not, I'd talk w/ a professor that could pump one out for you like on the spot!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 pm

newyorker69 wrote:Hey everyone, I submitted my app on Monday (3/1) and I got the email with the status check info a few hours later. The one thing that worries me is that on my LSAC account, Georgetown requested my report the same day but it still doesnt show that LSAC sent it yet. All my other schools from last cycle show a report date and a sent date of 1 business day.

Also, I'm getting a little worried at all the top students on here (from already high-ranked schools) applying EA. I'm from a T4 but I did get a 4.19 GPA, am #1/230, and received two CALI awards. Can it be possible I'm still in the running? I'm URM if that changes anything.
Yeah, I know the feeling. I just don't really get why someone from, say, Emory or something would apply to GULC EA if they are #1 in their class. It's kind of......I don't know, off b/c they will be going to Columbia or even Harvard next fall but they make it a lot harder for the people that really need those spots.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:46 pm

A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:Need some etiquette advice. My LoR still has not been sent. The recommender assured me it would be sent as of 3 weeks ago Monday. I got on this as early as possible (late January) as I knew that academic letters take a while. It's been a really, really long time though. I've been in touch with his secretary who tells me she's been reminding him constantly and doesn't know what else to do. He hasn't returned any of my emails, and every time I go to his office he is not there.

Is this your only LOR? If this is your second one, I'd just go with one letter, if not, I'd talk w/ a professor that could pump one out for you like on the spot!
It's my only one. I made a calculated decision to just go with one, but obviously that was a mistake.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 pm

A'nold wrote:
newyorker69 wrote:Hey everyone, I submitted my app on Monday (3/1) and I got the email with the status check info a few hours later. The one thing that worries me is that on my LSAC account, Georgetown requested my report the same day but it still doesnt show that LSAC sent it yet. All my other schools from last cycle show a report date and a sent date of 1 business day.

Also, I'm getting a little worried at all the top students on here (from already high-ranked schools) applying EA. I'm from a T4 but I did get a 4.19 GPA, am #1/230, and received two CALI awards. Can it be possible I'm still in the running? I'm URM if that changes anything.
Yeah, I know the feeling. I just don't really get why someone from, say, Emory or something would apply to GULC EA if they are #1 in their class. It's kind of......I don't know, off b/c they will be going to Columbia or even Harvard next fall but they make it a lot harder for the people that really need those spots.
To be fair though, its also sort of security in case there is a drop down to say top 10 or 15%.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
A'nold wrote:

To be fair though, its also sort of security in case there is a drop down to say top 10 or 15%.
I did think about this but man, could you imagine the epic disaster that it would take for the #1 student in the entire school to drop to like 15%? It just seems like they are wasting theirs and GULC's time, but I would probably be singing a different tune if I were in their position. I do think that I would rather be the #1 student at a top 30 than transfer and have entirely new grades at GULC though.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:29 pm

At my school the difference between top 3 % and top 10 % is like one A to an A-. It's really tight in the top 10 % or so. I want to stay in the top 5%, but it would not be hard to fall out of it or even fall out of the top 10 % if I mess up one class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 pm

A'nold wrote:
I did think about this but man, could you imagine the epic disaster that it would take for the #1 student in the entire school to drop to like 15%? It just seems like they are wasting theirs and GULC's time, but I would probably be singing a different tune if I were in their position. I do think that I would rather be the #1 student at a top 30 than transfer and have entirely new grades at GULC though.
Yeah I do think even top 5% or so at most of those schools is probably better then GULC (and to be fair mine included), but I know at my school the difference between an A- and a B+ in one class for me this semester is the difference between top 1% and top 5%. WIth the high curves there is just not a whole lot of separation, so a drop 5 or so percentile points can happen pretty easy.

I know it really sucks though, especially when it gets down to paying deposits and possibly holding out other peoples spots just as a safety. The likely reality is most of the top 1 or 2% at T30's that are transferring will be going to CCN or maybe HYS.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 pm

apper123 wrote:At my school the difference between top 3 % and top 10 % is like one A to an A-. It's really tight in the top 10 % or so. I want to stay in the top 5%, but it would not be hard to fall out of it or even fall out of the top 10 % if I mess up one class.
ha yeah I basically repeated you, but the top part of the class is really tight, and to be honest its pretty easy to drop. Thats what sucks about Gpa hard to move up, but easy to move down.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Yeah, you guys are right. I would likely do the same thing if I were one of these people.

But you really think it is easy to drop? I've heard (and I think arrow has said before) that it is a lot harder to up your grades than it is to drop from the top. I believe arrow also said that people that got high grades the first semester generally get high grades the second. I am really trying to do even better this semester, hopefully we all can! :)

newyorker69

Bronze

Post by newyorker69 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Can you all check your LSAC pages because I want to make sure my account is not screwed up for the LSDAS reports

When you login to LSAC, on the top: Apply >> Report Status

How many days from LSAC's "Request Received" date from GULC did LSAC issue the report under "Report Date"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”