Official Georgetown EA thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
johndoe

New

Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by johndoe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Post your stats and when you went complete if you applying EA to Georgetown.

3.95 law school GPA
Brooklyn Law School
No rank, but based off historical numbers should be at least top 5%, possibly top 2.5%

3.3 Undergrad GPA (upward trend)
2 years finance work experience

Submitted all materials last week. Still waiting to hear if they got my transcript and LOR.

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Top 25
likely around top 4-5%
Complete
Last edited by kings84_wr on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Last edited by megaTTTron on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:14 pm

4.0 law school GPA (tied for first in class with 3 or 4 others in a class of about 200)
LS ranked in the 50's
3.41 Undergrad GPA (with a strong upward trend)
Submitted everything via LSAC yesterday. I guess they'll send some sort of password to check our application status soon?

Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Last edited by Bankhead on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:28 pm

Top 3 %
Mid-level T2
Have a lot of good reasons for wanting to be in DC (want to work there)

Everyone want to discuss chances? I know they enroll a 100 person transfer class, so they have to let in a lot more than that.

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Wow, bunch of academic superstars here. I thought I was a lock with my 3.95 from BLS, but not so sure now.

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 pm

The transfer process seems very much like a crapshoot. Based off all these posts, it seems like everyone has very similar academic performance and it sounds like most are coming from comparable schools (we'll say ones with median class LSAT scores of 160-165). It'll be interesting to see how they render decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 pm

From another thread. I'm not sure how many GULC admits, but it doesn't seem other schools admit too many more than end up matriculating.
thesealocust wrote:2008:

School / Applications / offers / # attending

Yale / _ / _ / 12
Harvard / 200 / 35 / 30
Stanford / 150 / 12 / 12
Berkeley / 200-250 / 53 / 45
Michigan / 175 / 53 / 32
UVA / 214 / 21 / 20
Duke / 104 / 36 / 19

Data from 'The Art of the Law School Transfer' by Andrew B. Carrabis & Seth D. Haimovitch

I got a copy to review for a blogging gig I had a while back, it was pretty solid.

[For further clarification in case anybody who knows me IRL stumbles upon this post: I am neither considering nor in any position to transfer :P]

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 am

Last edited by transferhopeful12 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:49 am

I'm assuming some DC interest here?[/quote]

Definitely, only place I want to be. Not sure I'll make the cut with so many people at the top of their class applying though

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:52 am

I think they will seriously look at undergraduate GPA. Although it's said to come down all to law school performance, there are so many candidates who will be very similar in terms of law school grades, that they'll have to look at undergrad GPA to some extent. I called them up and the woman basically told me LSAT wasn't a significant factor.

This concerns me a bit because I went to a middle of the pack undergrad and only a 3.25. I did have a pretty strong upward trend, and my school had a difficult curve (average GPA of 2.9), but I'm still a bit worried. I think I might mail an addendum to my application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 am

transferhopeful12 wrote:I'm assuming some DC interest here?

Definitely, only place I want to be. Not sure I'll make the cut with so many people at the top of their class applying though
I think you need to take the # of people applying here lightly. Most people have no idea an EA option exists. I honestly have not heard it mentioned by anyone else outside these forums. No one I've talked to about it had any idea it was an option.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 am

johndoe wrote:I think they will seriously look at undergraduate GPA. Although it's said to come down all to law school performance, there are so many candidates who will be very similar in terms of law school grades, that they'll have to look at undergrad GPA to some extent. I called them up and the woman basically told me LSAT wasn't a significant factor.

This concerns me a bit because I went to a middle of the pack undergrad and only a 3.25. I did have a pretty strong upward trend, and my school had a difficult curve (average GPA of 2.9), but I'm still a bit worried. I think I might mail an addendum to my application.
Why, because a sample size of 8 on an internet forum are so close in #s? It's doubtful. If they were going to consider UGPA, then they'd definitely consider LSAT. It would make no rational sense otherwise, especially since LSAT is usually given more weight in the initial app process.

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:02 am

apper123 wrote:
transferhopeful12 wrote:I'm assuming some DC interest here?

I think you need to take the # of people applying here lightly. Most people have no idea an EA option exists. I honestly have not heard it mentioned by anyone else outside these forums. No one I've talked to about it had any idea it was an option.
this is true. I also think people posting are generally top of the top. Gtown's website said they take 100/600 applicants. I wonder how many they take EA? And I wonder how many offers they make that people don't accept. I would guess the yield is pretty high though.

johndoe

New

Post by johndoe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 am

I called them up and they pretty much said LSAT is a non-factor. LSAT is used to predict performance in law school - they already have your law school grades, so LSAT isn't really important.

When I asked about other factors, they did say they look at undergrad grades and the quality of your undergrad school. Again, I think the heavy bulk of it is law school performance, but if so many people are bunched together, it may come down to secondary factors like undergrad performance.

The reason they may look at undergrad performance (and the quality of your college), is because they only have 1 semester of law school grades and it's more likely that someone with a 2.5 GPA from a poor undergrad school just happened to get lucky in 1 semester at law school as opposed to someone with a 4.0 from Yale undergrad. They also might have concerns about someone with a history of poor grades falling back into old habits and getting lazy.

Just speculation on my part. Perhaps I'm just a little nervous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

3.95 @ T2, T5%+

Submitted materials on 2/1 and I believe my application is complete although my status check hasn't updated once. Then again GULC has been closed due to snow these past few days.

Good luck to everyone on here!
Last edited by bkthunder on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 am

johndoe wrote: Perhaps I'm just a little nervous.
I'd say so. Relax man. Based off of transferapps, you have as good a shot as anyone. And from everything I've read, they base their decisions almost entirely on law school grades and your current law school's ranking. After all, the best indicator of how well you'll do in law school is....how well you've done in law school.

How do you like BLS so far? I nearly went there, partially because I have family in Brooklyn. The location of the school is pretty tough to beat.

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am

patrickd139 wrote:From another thread. I'm not sure how many GULC admits, but it doesn't seem other schools admit too many more than end up matriculating.

Yale / _ / _ / 12
Harvard / 200 / 35 / 30
Stanford / 150 / 12 / 12
Michigan / 175 / 53 / 32
UVA / 214 / 21 / 20
Duke / 104 / 36 / 19

Data from 'The Art of the Law School Transfer' by Andrew B. Carrabis & Seth D. Haimovitch

I got a copy to review for a blogging gig I had a while back, it was pretty solid.

[For further clarification in case anybody who knows me IRL stumbles upon this post: I am neither considering nor in any position to transfer :P]
Good info, but I really doubt GULC's yield is anywhere close to most of these numbers. I bet a decent number of GULC's transfer acceptances end up either transferring to a higher T-14 school (especially those that applied EA and do as well 2nd semester as 1st) or staying at their school with a larger scholarship. This is total speculation on my part though

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 am

bkthunder wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:From another thread. I'm not sure how many GULC admits, but it doesn't seem other schools admit too many more than end up matriculating.

Yale / _ / _ / 12
Harvard / 200 / 35 / 30
Stanford / 150 / 12 / 12
Michigan / 175 / 53 / 32
UVA / 214 / 21 / 20
Duke / 104 / 36 / 19

Good info, but I really doubt GULC's yield is anywhere close to most of these numbers. I bet a decent number of GULC's transfer acceptances end up either transferring to a higher T-14 school (especially those that applied EA and do as well 2nd semester as 1st) or staying at their school with a larger scholarship. This is total speculation on my part though
Agree with this 100%. Have heard that they accept over 200. It actually makes good sense as they have always been 14 and there has to be countless people who end up getting into CCN and even simply t10 schools. While some of those numbers would suggest otherwise, Duke and Michigan accept close to twice as many as actually matriculating - obviously at GULC that would be 200+

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:05 am

Damn you guys are fast. I doubt my LORs will be submitted and processed until right before the deadline. How did you all get yours in so quickly?

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:31 pm

JPU wrote:Damn you guys are fast. I doubt my LORs will be submitted and processed until right before the deadline. How did you all get yours in so quickly?
You only need 1 LOR...I asked a prof around the end of January, gave him my materials, took him about 2 weeks to send it

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

anyone have an idea how long it will take to hear back? Obviously it will be a little different for everyone, but the website says by early may, hopefully it won't take that long?

nifer327

New

Post by nifer327 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

-
Last edited by nifer327 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”