t3, top 5%, chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bkthunder
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:00 am

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby bkthunder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:51 pm

http://www.law.washington.edu/admission ... /Transfer/

If this is accurate, transfers into UW are actually much more competitive than you guys are suggesting...

"Transfer and non-degree students are accepted on a space-available basis only...

In a typical year we receive about 60 transfer applications and admit three to five; we receive about 15 non-degree applications and admit two or three. If you have additional questions, please contact the Admissions Office (see below)."

bkthunder
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:00 am

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby bkthunder » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:59 pm

However, I still think UW is worth a shot with your grades, especially if you can demonstrate a strong reason for wanting to be in the PNW (and if your current school is Idaho or something in the West). With their limited transfer class, I have a feeling they want applicants to show a strong desire for that location.

As someone originally from WA, I considered applying to UW Law but didn't mainly b/c the application deadline was 1/15 (well before other schools). The law building is really nice (just a few years old thanks to a donation from Bill Gates) and right on the undergrad campus, good luck with your apps!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks jcl2 and blkthunder! :)

jcl2: Yeah, I was hoping that my school would be viewed in a more positive light than most t3's but I guess time will tell. Thanks for the post!

blkthunder: I agree that UW is very hard to transfer into but like you said hopefully they like my ties to the area.

Think I'll get any bites on the other schools? I'd honestly be very happy at any of them.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED
Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt/USC?
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).

What do you think?
We don't want to apply to GULC/UCLA/Boalt. D.C. is not really for us and UCLA and Boalt's COA for out-of-state residents w/ no scholarship will likely be something in the neighborhood of 80-85k a year, from what I hear. If anyone has any suggestions or knows something about the UC tuition that differs from my projections, please post.



For you to presume that you'll finish in the top 5% of your class is honestly foolish. You're putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. And, even if you did happen to finish in the top 5%, nobody can accurately gauge your chances of transferring into a T14/T1, especially coming from a "rural t3 state flagship school". There are simply too many variables at play.


No u

User avatar
TonyDigital
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby TonyDigital » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 am

A'nold! Congrats on doing so well man...I remember the rural thread you started a while back. I hope you're transfer aspirations pan out (Chicago or Michigan!).

Just curious, as I am thinking of taking a full-ride at a t3 myself, is how attractive is graduating in the top 5% at your current school? Or would you rather the higher ranked options that are far away from Seattle mainly because your current school doesn't reach into Seattle maybe? Just curious what factors you are considering during this process. Once again, well done A'nold!

User avatar
Zeph
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby Zeph » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 pm

A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED
Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt/USC?
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).

What do you think?
We don't want to apply to GULC/UCLA/Boalt. D.C. is not really for us and UCLA and Boalt's COA for out-of-state residents w/ no scholarship will likely be something in the neighborhood of 80-85k a year, from what I hear. If anyone has any suggestions or knows something about the UC tuition that differs from my projections, please post.


A'nold my friend, congrats on an amazing first semester! Hope all is well. And no worries I think you have a great chance at most of those schools. Keep up the good work

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:54 pm

TonyDigital wrote:A'nold! Congrats on doing so well man...I remember the rural thread you started a while back. I hope you're transfer aspirations pan out (Chicago or Michigan!).

Just curious, as I am thinking of taking a full-ride at a t3 myself, is how attractive is graduating in the top 5% at your current school? Or would you rather the higher ranked options that are far away from Seattle mainly because your current school doesn't reach into Seattle maybe? Just curious what factors you are considering during this process. Once again, well done A'nold!


Hi and thanks! Yeah, we talked a lot in that rural thread, is your t3 rural? Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how well top 5% does but I do know one guy on law review that had two offers at major firms in the state. I've heard anecdotally that top 5% can land local biglaw but this state is hurting ITE like everybody else. My thinking is that top 5% at a t3 in this market might be better off than a median to below median student at some t14's, but once again that is just speculation. Alumni and local firms can be very loyal to local schools and they can effectively cherry-pick the top students from that school. I wish you the best of luck with your decision! :)

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Zeph wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED
Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt/USC?
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).

What do you think?
We don't want to apply to GULC/UCLA/Boalt. D.C. is not really for us and UCLA and Boalt's COA for out-of-state residents w/ no scholarship will likely be something in the neighborhood of 80-85k a year, from what I hear. If anyone has any suggestions or knows something about the UC tuition that differs from my projections, please post.


A'nold my friend, congrats on an amazing first semester! Hope all is well. And no worries I think you have a great chance at most of those schools. Keep up the good work


Thanks Zeph!

User avatar
Zeph
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby Zeph » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm

A'nold wrote:
Zeph wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED
Penn
Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt/USC?
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).

What do you think?
We don't want to apply to GULC/UCLA/Boalt. D.C. is not really for us and UCLA and Boalt's COA for out-of-state residents w/ no scholarship will likely be something in the neighborhood of 80-85k a year, from what I hear. If anyone has any suggestions or knows something about the UC tuition that differs from my projections, please post.


A'nold my friend, congrats on an amazing first semester! Hope all is well. And no worries I think you have a great chance at most of those schools. Keep up the good work


Thanks Zeph!


np bud

User avatar
Attucks
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby Attucks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 pm

A'nold wrote: My thinking is that top 5% at a t3 in this market might be better off than a median to below median student at some t14's, but once again that is just speculation. Alumni and local firms can be very loyal to local schools and they can effectively cherry-pick the top students from that school.


I can't see why this wouldn't be true, and something to really think about for anyone thinking about transferring from a respected regional school where they would like (wouldn't mind?) practicing and are on scholarship. ITE, some serious thought has to be given to the relationships with profs, alumni, and being at the top of your class, all given up for what can be marginally better career prospects, depending on how well you keep up with all those at your new school who were accepted there to begin with.

User avatar
TonyDigital
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby TonyDigital » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:58 am

A'nold wrote:
TonyDigital wrote:A'nold! Congrats on doing so well man...I remember the rural thread you started a while back. I hope you're transfer aspirations pan out (Chicago or Michigan!).

Just curious, as I am thinking of taking a full-ride at a t3 myself, is how attractive is graduating in the top 5% at your current school? Or would you rather the higher ranked options that are far away from Seattle mainly because your current school doesn't reach into Seattle maybe? Just curious what factors you are considering during this process. Once again, well done A'nold!


Hi and thanks! Yeah, we talked a lot in that rural thread, is your t3 rural? Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how well top 5% does but I do know one guy on law review that had two offers at major firms in the state. I've heard anecdotally that top 5% can land local biglaw but this state is hurting ITE like everybody else. My thinking is that top 5% at a t3 in this market might be better off than a median to below median student at some t14's, but once again that is just speculation. Alumni and local firms can be very loyal to local schools and they can effectively cherry-pick the top students from that school. I wish you the best of luck with your decision! :)


I'm not in a t3...yet. If all goes well, I'll be starting this fall. I've been accepted to five schools, #30 - t3. I'm weighing financial concerns, location, rank, job prospects, etc... I think a t2 w/ 3/4 scholarship is looking the best to me right now. I don't think Baton Rouge would be considered rural...then again, maybe it would cause i wouldn't really call it urban either.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 am

betasteve wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:For you to presume that you'll finish in the top 5% of your class is honestly foolish. You're putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. And, even if you did happen to finish in the top 5%, nobody can accurately gauge your chances of transferring into a T14/T1, especially coming from a "rural t3 state flagship school". There are simply too many variables at play.

Are you even a law student yet? Seriously, don't give advice simply because you want to post, but have nothing substantive to say. This is not the lounge.

+1

And congrats A'nold!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

mistergoft wrote:
betasteve wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:For you to presume that you'll finish in the top 5% of your class is honestly foolish. You're putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. And, even if you did happen to finish in the top 5%, nobody can accurately gauge your chances of transferring into a T14/T1, especially coming from a "rural t3 state flagship school". There are simply too many variables at play.

Are you even a law student yet? Seriously, don't give advice simply because you want to post, but have nothing substantive to say. This is not the lounge.

+1

And congrats A'nold!



Thanks. :)

hey there guy
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby hey there guy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 am

A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED--No
Penn--No
Michigan--No
Northwestern--Possibly
Cornell--Possibly
Vanderbilt/USC?--Probably
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).--Yes


Speaking from semi-personal experience. Feel free to PM if you want further info/details.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:38 pm

hey there guy wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED--No
Penn--No
Michigan--No
Northwestern--Possibly
Cornell--Possibly
Vanderbilt/USC?--Probably
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).--Yes


Speaking from semi-personal experience. Feel free to PM if you want further info/details.


Yeah that'd be great. Since this was bumped let me add a few things:

Top 4%, actually, and 1st in section. Looking at these schools now:

Michigan
GULC- EA- pt or ft
Cornell
Duke
Northwestern
UVA
Maybe Vandy

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby stinger35 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm

A'nold wrote:
hey there guy wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED--No
Penn--No
Michigan--No
Northwestern--Possibly
Cornell--Possibly
Vanderbilt/USC?--Probably
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).--Yes


Speaking from semi-personal experience. Feel free to PM if you want further info/details.


Yeah that'd be great. Since this was bumped let me add a few things:

Top 4%, actually, and 1st in section. Looking at these schools now:

Michigan
GULC- EA- pt or ft
Cornell
Duke
Northwestern
UVA
Maybe Vandy


A'nold, we are truly TLS twins. I am looking at the same exact schools. (Chicago/Columbia as a long shot and maybe UCLA/USC if no t14). I am T2 but heres to hoping our acceptances are equally as awesome.

To OP, I think you have a chance at UM, just from talking to a few others who made the t3 transfer to there.I am really hoping for Michigan.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 pm

stinger35 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
hey there guy wrote:
A'nold wrote:Rural t3 state flagship school. Top 5%. My transfer list:

Chicago ED--No
Penn--No
Michigan--No
Northwestern--Possibly
Cornell--Possibly
Vanderbilt/USC?--Probably
UW-Seattle (Seattle is my ultimate target market but it is not necessary that I live there, just preferred).--Yes


Speaking from semi-personal experience. Feel free to PM if you want further info/details.


Yeah that'd be great. Since this was bumped let me add a few things:

Top 4%, actually, and 1st in section. Looking at these schools now:

Michigan
GULC- EA- pt or ft
Cornell
Duke
Northwestern
UVA
Maybe Vandy


A'nold, we are truly TLS twins. I am looking at the same exact schools. (Chicago/Columbia as a long shot and maybe UCLA/USC if no t14). I am T2 but heres to hoping our acceptances are equally as awesome.

To OP, I think you have a chance at UM, just from talking to a few others who made the t3 transfer to there.I am really hoping for Michigan.


Hey, I am the op! :)

Yeah, that'd be so awesome to get into any of those schools....I couldn't even imagine. Why do you think I have a shot at Michigan. I feel stupid even thinking that is a possibility.

Incanate
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby Incanate » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 pm

You're right A'nold - we are pretty much identical. Here's to "respectable" T3s!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Incanate wrote:You're right A'nold - we are pretty much identical. Here's to "respectable" T3s!


Good luck to you stats twin. 8)

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby engineer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:11 pm

apper123 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
avacado111 wrote:A'nold- how did you do so well in law school? :D


My wife told me to say that I pimp her out to the professors, haha. Really, not to be cliche, it is all about the exams. There were probably quite a few people that could "out-black letter law" me but I really tried to focus on hitting all of the issues I could find, putting myself in the role of objective analyzer, and tried to hit as many details from the fact pattern as I could to "give evidence" for my answers and also to do that thang that prof's love so much: dissect the ambiguities, element by element, exhausting even the most obvious crap, even if I felt like an idiot for pointing out the obvious. Oh yeah, study really hard too, haha.


Yeah all these things are why I think I was successful too.

The part I bolded, however, is exactly why I'm terrified of the fact that 3/4 of my exams this semester have strict word limits. Those are my best skills, and I simply can't do that within a word limit. Flat curves here we come.


That's what got me the 2nd lowest grade in one class. It devastated my GPA, but it was a fucking 2,000 word limit for a semester's worth of material. It was by far the easiest exam we had, and my prof even admitted that he had a hell of a time grading them.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:09 pm

engineer wrote:That's what got me the 2nd lowest grade in one class. It devastated my GPA, but it was a fucking 2,000 word limit for a semester's worth of material. It was by far the easiest exam we had, and my prof even admitted that he had a hell of a time grading them.


The chip on your shoulder can be seen from space :P

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Allright, here's the new list (assuming I'm still top 4% or above after this semester):

Berkeley
Penn or ND, I can't decide if I should go with Penn as a reach or ND as a target.
Michigan
Duke
Northwestern- I am a sort of non-trad with a family, but I am still somewhat young and my work experience was less than impressive, though it was at least a few years' worth.
Cornell
GULC- EA pt. and ft.
UCLA
Vanderbilt
UW-Seattle

Also, I need help figuring out a few safety schools. For some reason, both my wife and I are not crazy about WUSTL...I can't put my finger on it but there's just something about it that makes me wary, like it games the system to get that rank and that they are overranked and should be like 25-30. Anyway, we would love to work in the NW or at least the West Coast but want what's best for our family and would be willing to live somewhere else for awhile. These are some of the schools we are floating around:

Minn.
Emory
Davis- very near family but my wife is terrified of the CA legal market and doesn't think a transfer would do well there. However, I think it would be a "safety" for us and it is on the West Coast. Thoughts?
UIUC
Colorado
Arizona- freak, maybe State now, with their bizarre bump into the T1......
GW- I would just feel weird getting dinged from GULC and going to GW when I have no plans of living in that area of the country and the high COL......

I'm pretty sure I just want to apply to two safeties so what schools would be better to at least get some meaningful employment after graduation?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Do you honestly think it's worth it taking on the extra debt for a school that's merely a T1?

I really don't think I'd advise you to transfer unless you're getting Gtown up, but, of course, that's IMHO.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:52 pm

mistergoft wrote:Do you honestly think it's worth it taking on the extra debt for a school that's merely a T1?

I really don't think I'd advise you to transfer unless you're getting Gtown up, but, of course, that's IMHO.


Man, my school is beyond ghetto though.....alltogether, it will increase my debt load about 20%....you don't think like ND would be worth 20% extra debt for a lifetime of putting ND on my resume instead of my t3? I'm honestly asking, it's not rhetorical. :)

Oops, it's more like 30% extra, sorry. Also, I will either be doing the Federal IBR 10 year forgiveness plan or I will be doing biglaw, the former much more likely than the latter.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: t3, top 5%, chances?

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:10 pm

A'nold wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Do you honestly think it's worth it taking on the extra debt for a school that's merely a T1?

I really don't think I'd advise you to transfer unless you're getting Gtown up, but, of course, that's IMHO.


Man, my school is beyond ghetto though.....alltogether, it will increase my debt load about 20%....you don't think like ND would be worth 20% extra debt for a lifetime of putting ND on my resume instead of my t3? I'm honestly asking, it's not rhetorical. :)

Oops, it's more like 30% extra, sorry. Also, I will either be doing the Federal IBR 10 year forgiveness plan or I will be doing biglaw, the former much more likely than the latter.

I can't really evaluate that since I am not in the position to; you might want to talk to some hiring partners at firms you're interested at working at and ask them if the name recognition would make a difference not only for job prospects out of law school, but 5-10 years down the road where you actually have some substantive work experience. I think in order to transfer and lose a chance at LR and a degree with honors, not to mention losing your gpa, having to start from scratch, and taking on the extra debt that you'd have to at least have a pretty significant increase in earning potential to justify transferring. Not to say that you wouldn't, I really don't know much about name recognition of degrees outside of the realm of getting a job right out of law school (and I really can't profess to know all too much about that either, though I am dreading it ITE).

Anyhow, you're in a significantly different position than I am (i.e. my school is not ghetto, well, not that ghetto at least and I would be taking on significantly more debt transferring) but I wouldn't do it unless it significantly increased my job prospects, which I don't necessarily think transferring to a school like ND (or any school outside of the newly minted T12) would. But that's just my $.02.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.